Skip to main content

Topic: Step Repair or Renovation (Read 1721 times) previous topic - next topic

Step Repair or Renovation
Doing the airbags and shock change out brought me to the point of addressing  something that has been bugging me every since we first looked at our coach at the dealership. I am talking about the rotten first step issue which I noticed the first...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:24:31 pm by acousticart

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Step Repair or Renovation
Reply #1
Don, do not cover up as I think I will fly out to inspect it tomorrow!!! :P ^.^d
To make sure it meets guidlines. Flight arrives 7 40pm looking forward to seeing you all.
John H

• Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:29:42 pm by John Haygarth

• fouroureye
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Dan, I used a 1/4" aluminum plate the screwed plywood to it on my bottom step of my GV.

• Carol & Scott
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Verrrry clean - looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Reply #4
Don,

Yours much worse than mine - maybe your coach saw a little salt along the way?

Three years and Starboard working great.  Want to get the Xtreme step conversion next.

Reply #5
Tim,
I don't think road salt was an issue with our coach, the rest of the undercarriage is rust free and pretty clean, which was why I didn't look closer at the bulkhead when we got it. I believe the issue here was a poor seal at the bottom of the...

Reply #6
We had our bottom step replaced at FOT (would have done it myself if I'd known how easy it was) and the tech explained that it was a "wet step", since the bottom of the door really doesn't seal the water out, so the waterproofing around the step...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I have gone over my door every inch and find that most of the problem is from the top and have fixed it. No water ever in the step area now.
JohnH

Reply #8
Don,

God stuff and as always, I would expect any of your work to be top shelf. Funny, I had to do the first step on my U-270 when I had it (plywood) and then the same issue on my U-320 (Starboard). Wasn't expensive (Less than a coach buck each...

Reply #9
A Meet & Greet meeting cocktail hour (S) will be held tonight in Arlington/ Pantego TX @ about 8:00 PM till ??? ( john does not arrive till 19:45 )

Meet John Haygarth and Don Fera in person !!

A gathering will also be held in Alvarado TX on Sunday...

• Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:11:18 am by wolfe10

Reply #10
 :D ooh that cuts deep Dave! :o but I do think how easy the repair is, is inversely proportional to how bad the damage is. It also depends on which kind of outcome you are desirous of. In my case, returning to the former status quo is never enough......

Reply #11

I have gone over my door every inch and find that most of the problem is from the top and have fixed it. No water ever in the step area now.
JohnH

Wow, that's encouraging!  Does your coach...

Reply #12
I considered that, bit it wanted to get rid of the vinyl treads (because they cover up problems just like the black ribbed rubber on the wet bay floor), so for me , the Starbord is ideal because it doesn't need to be covered. At three quarter...

Reply #13
It's finally mostly done! Time to head for NAC tomorrow so I have to wrap it up even though I still have some stuff to do on the project. I have a lot of clean up and packing to do, So I won't say much about it now but I will post some more...

• MAZ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Don that looks like it will last forever. I like the hidden compartment idea especially. Great job once again.

Mark

Reply #15
Thanks Mark! No time to go into detail right now, but I did want to mention that I used JB Weld quick wood for filling in some voids left by rotten bottom front edge of the vertical sides of the step compartment behind the door frame. The stuff...

• MAZ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Thanks for the info Don. Safe travels to Nac.

Mark

Reply #17
Don,

Excellent work-- as we have all come to expect!

Enjoy returning to your baby's birthplace.

Brett

Reply #18
 ;D ^.^d thanks Brett! We will enjoy giving our baby a bit of a facelift with a headlight conversion... And perhaps a few other miscellaneous items while were there. ::)

Don,

Excellent work-- as we have...

Reply #19
LED tail lights make it look very modern... and roof paint..... Are you using Xtreme or FOT for the headlights? How about roof paint?  Residential Refrig? It goes on and on...

Starboard for all the steps- NEAT!.  I just have the first step in...

Reply #20
Don, it looks really nice, as expected. I'm sure it doesn't have the flexibility it had when we met. Have a safe trip to Nac. Wish I had time to get there. MOT has a 96 320 I would like to see ^.^d ^.^d  but no time to get there yet.

Larry

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Don, another great job, but now your secret compartment is not secret any more! You told us all where it is.
  Great pictures, have a good time at the factory.

Richard B

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
Well the meet and greet was a bit late due to our flight being 2 hrs + late. Had a great time with Bill Dave C and of course Don and tys. Also met others but now are here in Van Horne for the night on way back home. Have lots of work to do in...

Reply #23
Ah Richard... That is just one of the semi-secret compartments (known only to the small group of intrepid Foretravelr's who are part of our best kept RV'ing secret society. I could tell you where the real secret compartment is, but then I would...

Reply #24
We are using Xtreme for the headlights and some variant of the level one makeover. We won't have the original graphics duplicated in paint, but maybe a partial as in no bottom stripes. I am considering the roof paint option, but I will be...

• Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:30:25 pm by acousticart