Skip to main content

Topic: Allison MD3060 Won't Shift Into Gear- Any Advice Helpful (Read 9429 times) previous topic - next topic

Allison MD3060 Won't Shift Into Gear- Any Advice Helpful
So after driving most of the night in the Kansas snowstorm, I pull into a Missouri rest area and leave the FT running in neutral.  When I go to leave, the transmission will not shift out of neutral, instead just blinking in both 6 and R.  No...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Allison MD3060 Won't Shift Into Gear- Any Advice Helpful
Reply #1
Start the generator. My tyranny acted up because of a bad alternator.

best, paul

So after driving most of the night in the Kansas snowstorm, I pull into a Missouri rest area and leave the FT running in neutral. When I go to leave, the...

Reply #2
What are the RPMs at Idle?

Reply #3
What is the idle rpm's?  If higher than about 850 (??) the Transmission will not go into drive.

(edit)  Sorry Gary...Great minds think alike...LOL

Reply #4
Looks just shy of 800.  775 maybe.

Reply #5
Sorry, to be more specific, if for some reason , the motor is not returning to full idle, the transmission will not go into gear.

Reply #6
What year is your coach?  If it is a 2001 or 2002 and has a slide, the transmission will not leave Neutral if it thinks the slide is not in and locked.  Not sure about other years.

Then there is a simple twist of a button on the side of one of the...

Reply #7
In case this is the issue, I found the instructions from the HWH 2000 Series Manual:

"NEUTRAL HOLD OVERRIDE SWITCH
If a room is not fully retracted and locked the transmission will not shift out of "NEUTRAL".
If the rooms are fully retracted and...

Reply #8
  Good thought Brad,,, If there is no travel light,,,, it won't go into gear.

Reply #9
Postings with a profile that mentions coach year & model, usually bring back more appropriate responses tailored to the coach. First name also helps.

You mention you disconnected & reconnected cables at transmission. How about cables to computer...

Reply #10
I had one of my lock pins lose contact and the tranny would not shift. I had to cycle the slide. Do you have the level light on.  If so that is a good first step if you have a slide. You do not tell us your year so there are different ways to...

Reply #11
Just realized that my info isn't in my sig.

1998 34' C8.3 U270  No slide. 

Where exactly is the ECU for the Allison?  Travel light is lighted on HWH.

I will try to track down the under dash connections. 

Thank you all for your help.

• mark f
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #12
I had the same problem. It was caused by too high idle speed. I was able to get the coach home by starting the engine and putting it in gear as soon as the engine started. I posted here and the experts here told me to check idle speed. I checked...

Reply #13
Owner of problem coach shows his motorhome to be a 34' 1998 U270. Don't think there is an HWH slide out issue.

Reply #14

I had the same problem. It was caused by too high idle speed. I was able to get the coach home by starting the engine and putting it in gear as soon as the engine started. I posted here and the...

Reply #15

I dropped the idle down to 700 but still getting nothing but a blinking 6 on the Allison keypad.  Is there any sort of hard reset to do on the Allison ECU or did it immediately allow you to...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
you are lucky as I had many issues of revs refusing to go below 1200 on this trip. I had to physically lift bed and push the control arm on pump back to make it idle. Had that bed up about 50 times on trip.Finally bought some rope and tied it too...

• Rick
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Robert
take a hair drier to the shift pad and warm it up a bit if the coach is cold, it may be related to the shift pad being cold.
Good luck,
Rick

Reply #18
In the Wanderlodge group, there was a similar problem that was solved by shutting everything off and letting a "Shift inhibitor relay" get time to cool down.

Found this elsewhere:
"When the keypad flashes when you try to go in range "You have an...

Reply #19
Bought two new batteries, didn't make a difference.  Tomorrow morning I will give a call to Allison and FT.  Thank you all for your help and I will keep you updated.

Reply #20
I would try RICK's suggestion of heating the control pad. My coach has this problem when the pad gets cold.

Reply #21

Robert
take a hair drier to the shift pad and warm it up a bit if the coach is cold, it may be related to the shift pad being cold.
Good luck,
Rick

Gave it a try but it didn't do anything.  I'm...

• Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:04:00 am by rsihnhold

• mark f
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #22
Robert when I had my problem I did not have to reset anything.By putting the trans in gear as soon as the engine started the engine was at a lower RPM so the trans would shift. It sounds like you have a different problem if you are at 700 RPM. Mark

Reply #23
When I was having Allison problems I was told to use a hairdryer to warm the ECU.  I did this for several days til I could get to an Allison shop and it worked.  I then sent the ECU to John ? in Texas and he rebuilt it.  I can't recall the...

Reply #24
866 439 9779 John Kopalek