Skip to main content
Topic: Old Foretravel/Travco  (Read 1404 times) previous topic - next topic

Old Foretravel/Travco

Hi All,
  Just saw this old coach on Craigs. 413 Mopar engine.
  1971 Travco w/Hi Po 413 engine
Raymond
Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
1998 Ford Explorer XLT

Re: Old Foretravel/Travco

Reply #1
Cool look ^.^d

Hey are thoes bungy cords holding the bumper up?
The selected media item is not currently available.
My advice and experiences are Free, you decide if they are worth anything .

John - driving Old Faithful
1994 U280 GV
C8.3, Banks, Pacbrake, 900 watts, Resonator, XLHD tow dolly
Retired Army Warrant Officer

Life is what you make of it - if it is lemons, make lemonade!
Former Coaches:
1988 GV 40' ORED 300HP CAT - 9 years
1990 Winnebago LeSharo - 3 years
2000 Newmar London Aire - 3 years (#18 of 23 produced)

Reply #2
No, Those bungee cords are holding the front HOOD closed. :D
Gary B

Reply #3
The purchase price would be the smallest expenditure you would have. 
Steve DeLange
2005 U320T 40'
Pearland, Texas

Reply #4
Seems like one would have to have a lot of time and mechanical ability to get that thing going well.  It is probably doable, would be neat if completed, but...........
Best of Travels

Reply #5
Tube tires, been awhile since played the split rims game, no thanks.
For the MoPar fans, the 413 is a jewel.

Reply #6
There is an internet forum for Travco and there is also an FMCA Chapter. I agree on the lock ring wheels, hope I never see another one.  One of the problems restoring these old babe's is finding replacement wheels.
Gary B

Reply #7
I have driven and sold several of this coach.  Small brakes.  Fast motor. 

Old travco's.  Foretravel bought travco for the club.  Which is now the motorcade club.

Also Avco and gtc coaches.

Grand touring coaches.

35+ years ago Foretravel did prevost conversions. 35' only in those days.  Drove well.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #9
4 or 6 of them only I think. Â Nice but short. would have bought one but owner thought it was dipped in gold, or so the price would make you believe.
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #10
I have driven and sold several of this coach.  Small brakes.  Fast motor. 

Old travco's.  Foretravel bought travco for the club.  Which is now the motorcade club.

Also Avco and gtc coaches.

Grand touring coaches.

35+ years ago Foretravel did prevost conversions. 35' only in those days.  Drove well.

I had a '72 Revcon that was like that, fast motor and small brakes.  It was 11,000 pounds on an Olds Toronado drivetrain and brakes.  Brakes and radiator were not up to the weight, but otherwise handled like a sports car and got 11mpg.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #11
Gary, I knew someone would know the functionality of the bungys. :P
My advice and experiences are Free, you decide if they are worth anything .

John - driving Old Faithful
1994 U280 GV
C8.3, Banks, Pacbrake, 900 watts, Resonator, XLHD tow dolly
Retired Army Warrant Officer

Life is what you make of it - if it is lemons, make lemonade!
Former Coaches:
1988 GV 40' ORED 300HP CAT - 9 years
1990 Winnebago LeSharo - 3 years
2000 Newmar London Aire - 3 years (#18 of 23 produced)

Reply #12
I had a '72 Revcon that was like that, fast motor and small brakes.  It was 11,000 pounds on an Olds Toronado drivetrain and brakes.  Brakes and radiator were not up to the weight, but otherwise handled like a sports car and got 11mpg.

Seen and driven the 455 olds motor replaced with a caddy 500ci motor.  Even better.

Or an 8.2 fuel pincher diesel if memory serves me.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #13
Was it the Beach Boys or Jan and Dean that sang "413's really diggin in"...Like to have an old Plymouth with that bad boy in it... Dave probably does.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #14
Pardon my off subject ramblings... just and old dude looking way back.. Bad about that and don't mean to be inconsiderate of post subject.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #15
Hi dub,
  No problem here. I enjoy the ramblings. I'm glad I can see way back!
Raymond
Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
1998 Ford Explorer XLT

Reply #16
With respect to the split rims, there is a place here in Denver that cuts the tire section off and replaces it with a tubeless. No more splits and modern tubeless in the bargain. I had six done and their work was perfect.

If anyone is interested I will get their contact information from my storage files.
1992 U240 36'

Reply #17
Went to Fred's Fix-it-Shop to get a new pull rope for my portable generator for the shop/house and took a couple pics of a Travco that's been sitting on his lot for quite a while.  The owner said it was a '72 with a 318 Dodge in it.  He told me Katrina blew the a/c off the roof but the fiberglass shell held up just fine.  After the storm he used it to sleep in while we all were cleaning up and when the power was restored he cut a hole in the side and put a window unit in it.  The inside was gutted and he let one of his dogs have a litter of puppies inside.  A couple of blocks away I took a picture of a Revcon sitting in the lot of a towing company no longer in business.  Don't know anything about this one.  I hate to see these old classics end up this way. 

Both of these are probably too far gone for restoration and only good for a few spare parts.  A Bret Michaels miracle perhaps?

Jerry aka Murph

Jerry and Cindy Maddux
1993 U300/36WTBI DD6v92TA
build 4271  "Miss Lou"
1995 suzuki sidekick 4x4 toad
Gulfport, Ms

"Pride of Ownership"

Reply #18
I went to the the Post Office the other day and I saw a Travco parked around  the corner on the street where the old Carnegie Library still stands and was refurbished after Katrina.  I don't know what year it is and no one was around it. There was no tag but it looks like they are big  'Bama fans!  It was gone the next day.  It's nice to see someone  in pre-Foretravel still running,  on the road and having fun with it!

Jerry

Jerry and Cindy Maddux
1993 U300/36WTBI DD6v92TA
build 4271  "Miss Lou"
1995 suzuki sidekick 4x4 toad
Gulfport, Ms

"Pride of Ownership"

Reply #19
As I understand it FT bought Travco in late 80 or so.  So this is probably a late seventies, hard to tell them apart as they were very similar for years.  I had an 82 that was built by FT and it has a two piece fiberglass body, right and left halves were joined down the center of the roof.  The photo on my profile is it.
Gary B

Reply #20
Sold/ordered an 85 ORED to a good buddy customer that looked like that.  Dick really thought the travco was the only good coach.  Little short of shower height for big guys like me.

Wind did not push the coach around as much with the rounded body.  Like an airstream.  Actually It felt like  the coach moved back on the upwind side as the wind gusted and wrapped around the curved body.

Don't laugh.  We were/are desert dry campers and the square cornered ftx  body wiggled more in the wind.

Grand villas round roof line moved less.  Noticeable if you were sensitive to things and we're learning how and why Rvs did what they did.

Adding spread air bags to a grand villa ORED body seems to have almost eliminated the wind and truck sway.

(Deleted quote of entire post.  Please remember to clip your quotes - Michelle)
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #21
With respect to the split rims, there is a place here in Denver that cuts the tire section off and replaces it with a tubeless. No more splits and modern tubeless in the bargain. I had six done and their work was perfect.

If anyone is interested I will get their contact information from my storage files.
If you still got that info my friend I'm very interested what size tires did u have done 17s? On what travco avco?
The TRAVCO Kid

Reply #22
He was last on the forum May 2018 I doubt you will get a response.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #23
Just suffered through a 2014 movie on Amazon Prime called "Barefoot".  A turquoise Travco featured prominently in a third of the movie.  Sweet looking resto.  Woody.
2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #24
A visit to the RV Hall of Fame in Indiana, you can put an eyeball and a venture through a Travco with the original interior, shag carpet and all!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus