Skip to main content
Topic: Tail light lens gasket (Read 626 times) previous topic - next topic

Tail light lens gasket

Does anyone know where the taillight lens on a 1999 U320 comes from?
Is it a Ford item?
Looking for gasket for that lens.
JD
John Duld
1995 U320C SE 40'

Re: Tail light lens gasket

Reply #1
It comes from a Ford Econoline van. I am not sure what years are the same as our 99's, but I believe the only difference over the course of 15 or more year span is that at some point, they did away with the separate Amber colored turn signals and went with combined brake light and turn signal. I believe that may have been in around 1998 or thereabouts. I don't know whether or not that would make a difference in the gasket.
Don
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #2
Thanks Don!
John Duld
1995 U320C SE 40'

Reply #4
It appears that Ford went to the combined turn signal and brake lights on the Econoline in 1995. I put LED tail lights on our 99', and added some 4" round LED Amber lights for the turn signals above the LED for 95' and above Econoline Vans. There doesn't seem to be a stock replacement LED light for the 94 and below Econoline vans, so we have to improvise 8), or go to Xtreme  :D
Don
Don & Tys
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #5
John, I had the same problem. I called Foretravel and they said you have to buy the whole assembly. I asked how much and they turned out to be real reasonable. This was was year and I can't remember the exact price but I was cheap enough that I bought them without hesitation.
Bruce & Teresa
2000 U320 4010
2015 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #6
John, I had the same problem. I called Foretravel and they said you have to buy the whole assembly. I asked how much and they turned out to be real reasonable. This was was year and I can't remember the exact price but I was cheap enough that I bought them without hesitation.
But they will not be free shipping from FOT.  They are from the two vendors I cited.
Mogan David
1999 U295 36'

Reply #7
I put LED tail lights on our 99', and added some 4" round LED Amber lights for the turn signals above the LED for 95' and above Econoline Vans.
Don,

Since your new LED tail lights did not have a separate amber bulb, how did you configure the Foretravel wiring to work without the separate turn signal (Prior to adding the separate ambers)?

As I recall, the original tail lights had three holes for bulbs; stop, turn, and backup. How are the new LED tail lights configured?

BTW, did you consider the  smoked versions instead of clear? I am looking at the smoked, but am concerned it might cause them to be too dim; what do you think?

Thanks,

Trent
Trent and Jean Eyler
2000  U295  4003  WTFE  ISC  350
Build#5603 MC#17385

Reply #8
I added the round clear lens amber turn signals at the same time as I installed the LED replacements, so I just cut the connector of the coach harness and grafted on an extension with the new plug. I considered the smoked version, but I had seen John H's coach that had the ones with the clear lens and I liked the look. I am not sure how the lights are wired on his as the LED taillights had been installed by the previous owner of his coach. Also, so far all of the other LED's I am putting on have a clear lens so I think it is a better match.
Don
Don,
Since your new LED tail lights did not have a separate amber bulb, how did you configure the Foretravel wiring to work without the separate turn signal (Prior to adding the separate ambers)?

As I recall, the original tail lights had three holes for bulbs; stop, turn, and backup. How are the new LED tail lights configured?

BTW, did you consider the  smoked versions instead of clear? I am looking at the smoked, but am concerned it might cause them to be too dim; what do you think?

Thanks,

Trent

Don & Tys