Skip to main content
Topic: 2006 Foretravel Phoenix 442 (Read 1183 times) previous topic - next topic

2006 Foretravel Phoenix 442

I've been searching for a Monaco Signature, Country Coach Magna and an American Eagle. But just lately, I've been turned on to a Foretravel.

While I feel knowledgeable about the others, I feel totally ignorant about the Foretravel line in general and specifically about the 2006 Foretravel Phoenix 442.

I've completed several searches on this forum and other Foretravel forums but am coming up short. My questions are probably simple to this knowledgeable forum but are of significant concern to me:
1. Is the 2006 Foretravel Phoenix 442 considered a strong coach line within the Foretravel line
2. Were there/are there any recalls of significant on this model
3. Are there any issues in particular I should be aware of
4. Other than hiring a qualified inspector to check out this physical coach are there any issues I should specifically look for
5. Other than "HOW DOES THE COACH FEEL TO ME - INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR" what should I be looking for and or be concerned about with this specific series and age of coach like - Window/sidewall leaks, slide issues, electronics, etc.

If this info is on another post, please direct me.

Thanks
Live, Laugh, Love.
You never know when it will all be over!!!!!

Re: 2006 Foretravel Phoenix 442

Reply #1
There were not many 06s made but the phenix is a strong coach.  The area you have to look at is the PTO on the transmission that runs the fans.  I do not know of any other issues with it.  It is a new chassis but it seems to have worked well and FT has been making coaches for a long time so that is all the same. 
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #2
"A power take-off or power takeoff (PTO) is any of several methods for taking power from a power source, such as a running engine, and transmitting it to an application such as an attached implement or separate machines."

This one is new to me. What has been the problem and what should I be looking for?
Live, Laugh, Love.

Reply #3
We owned two Country Coach Magnas in the early 2000's and have a friend with an '05 CC Magna. We've only had our Foretravel for 3 1/2 years and 42K miles but we believe the quality and especially factory support are stellar. We'll never own anything else. Our friend is not a happy camper.
As for the specific Phenix related questions ... I don't know ... but the folks here do and I'll bet they'd put their $ into a Foretravel.
Doug, Mary & Abby the Terrier, boss of us.
2012 Nimbus 40',  #6557
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Salem, SC

Reply #4
They did not grease it on the ISX and for that matter neither did CC and a couple others.  You have to make sure there is a grease zero recall done on it.  The only other thing is that some of the early slides had aluminum extruded edges that raised the three sides on the slide room.  It would hold water then when the bladder was released the water would enter. You have to dump the water by unleveling the coach or see if the top has been fixed as some o them have.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #5
If you are looking at the 2006 42' Phenix in the Dallas area, it looks nice.  It says it has a 10kw generator but it should be a 12kw on the 42'.  If you get serious, find a qualified inspector to check it out as part of the buying process.

Reply #6
PM me with questions. My unit should be close to what you are looking at. I can give you info on issues I have had to deal with, including the PTO.
Previous coach - 2007 Phenix 45'

Reply #7
I have a 2006 Phenix 442 so feel free to PM me and ask any questions you may have.
Gerard Caswell
Eunice, LA
2006 Phenix
2011 GMC Sierra P/U 4x4

Reply #8
Hey John what fix are you referring to with regard to water on the top of slideouts?  I have that issue on mine and would love to solve it if it can be done.
Gerard Caswell
Eunice, LA
2006 Phenix
2011 GMC Sierra P/U 4x4

Reply #9
They did not grease it on the ISX and for that matter neither did CC and a couple others.  You have to make sure there is a grease zero recall done on it.  The only other thing is that some of the early slides had aluminum extruded edges that raised the three sides on the slide room.  It would hold water then when the bladder was released the water would enter. You have to dump the water by unleveling the coach or see if the top has been fixed as some o them have.

These two highlighted items above, would Foretravel Corp. have this info if I give them the Vin.# of this unit? Or could these corrections have been made by others?
Live, Laugh, Love.

Reply #10
Hey John what fix are you referring to with regard to water on the top of slideouts?  I have that issue on mine and would love to solve it if it can be done.
If its the slide design where there is a moated area on top,  you can have that area filled in so that it does not hold the water.

These two highlighted items above, would Foretravel Corp. have this info if I give them the Vin.# of this unit? Or could these corrections have been made by others?
If you have one of the effected coaches, FT has tracked which units they have updated and/or have failed.  Not sure if they would provide you that information but it never hurts to ask or email them. 

It is possible that the unit was replaced elsewhere and FT would not necessarily have that info.  There was not any official recall as its not considered a safety issue when it fails (unlike some other brands where you would loose power steering etc).  If you could see the pump, the updated ones will have an extra grease fitting on them.
Future: Looking Towards
Current: 09' Phenix
Previous: 04' U320