Skip to main content
Topic: Brand New Replica HWH Plungers (Read 7863 times) previous topic - next topic

Brand New Replica HWH Plungers

Unique opportunity to purchase BRAND NEW REPLACEMENT PLUNGERS FOR HWH SOLENOID VALVES!

Grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and I will provide the background story and the details.

As you may know, I recently rebuilt the front HWH 6-pack manifold on my coach.  See the complete story here:
Working On My Six Pack

As detailed in my post, the required O-rings are easy to find, but I could not locate a source for exact replacement plungers.  This critical part is essential to a complete rebuild, yet the HWH factory refuses to sell them as a separate part.  Instead, they want you to buy 6 complete valve assemblies (HWH RAP1940), which would be very expensive!  My search for a more reasonable alternative turned up two possibilities.

First, our own member Jim McNeece discovered (3 years ago) a similar, but not identical, plunger from another manufacturer:
Possible HWH Solenoid Replacement Plungers
I recently contacted this source, and they are currently asking $20 each, for just the plunger, plus shipping..

The second possibility I found was much more promising.  I stumbled on a thread on another motorhome owner forum, describing how the poster had found a enterprising solution to the search for HWH plungers.  I am providing a link to that post, so you can read his story.  I will also add full-size copies of his photos below, since as a "guest" you will not be allowed to expand his photos.
HWH RAP1940 6 Pack Air Solenoids Rebuild Kits

I contacted the poster, Tom McCloud (forum name: encantotom), who is a founding member and administrator of the forum.  I asked if he was ever going to repeat his group purchase, and if he might consider opening the group buy to members of our forum.  After a series of emails, I received some great news!  Due to popular demand, he is going to offer his forum another chance to purchase plungers, and he will graciously expand the offer to include our members!

Here is how it will work.  I will function as our (self appointed) forum representative, and collect the requests for kits.  I will tell Tom how many kits (in total) our members want to order.  He will place the order with the factory for the total number of plungers requested by both forums.  When he gets the parts, he will put together the kits, exactly as described in his post (link above).  He will put all the kits for our forum in one box, and advise me of the total cost.  I will pay him the total cost (PayPal), and he will ship me the box.  I will then distribute the kits to our members, who will reimburse me the cost (per kit) plus my shipping costs (Priority Mail).  NO money is required at this time - I only need your "good faith" orders and a promise to "pay up" when I have the kits in hand and ready to ship.

This is a NON-PROFIT deal, by design.  Tom will charge me $100 per kit, plus his shipping cost to me.  I will charge our members $100 per kit, plus my shipping costs.  My motivation is twofold: I will be able to secure brand new plungers for my own use, AND I get to repay our forum members for the friendship and assistance they have provided since Jeannie and I joined ForeForums.

Each KIT will service ONE 6-pack manifold.  Each KIT contains 6 new plungers, 6 new springs, 18 O-rings (round), and 1 solenoid valve wrench.  Price, per kit, is $100 + mailing cost (PayPal preferred, personal check will be accepted but must clear before the kit(s) ship).  No warrantee or guarantee of any kind is given or implied, except that each kit will be exactly as described.

The purchaser is responsible for determining the suitability of these kits for their particular application.

These plungers are exact reproductions of the ones originally fitted in the HWH valves, with the correct size blue insert.  They should fit the valves on all our Foretravel coaches equipped with HWH Air leveling system, but of course I cannot guarantee this fact.  Look at the photos - examine the HWH valves on your coach - it is your responsibility to decide if these will work for you.

Tom will give his forum members (and ours) adequate time to place their orders.  If you want one or more kits, you should let me know ASAP.  Contact me directly via PM with your order, so as to not clutter up this posting.  If you have any questions about this offer, ask them here, and I will respond best I can.

It takes approximately 3 weeks from the time Tom places his order until the factory ships the parts.  Then Tom will have to make up the kits, and send them to me.  Obviously, we can't say exactly when you will finally get the kits, but I will update our members on the progress as we go.

An opportunity like this may never happen again!  If you EVER plan to rebuild your 6-packs, you should order 2 kits (one for each manifold).  If you want to insure having spare parts for your future needs, you should order them NOW.  I personally plan to order 4 kits for myself: two for immediate installation, and two to keep for possible future use (like if we ever "traded up" to another coach...).

Do what you think is best, but if you miss out on this offer, you may never get another.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Re: EXCITING OPPORTUNITY! All Members (and guests) Please Read!

Reply #1
Sent a request for two sets.  Thanks
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Re: EXCITING OPPORTUNITY! All Members Please Read!

Reply #2
Hmm, have not had any trouble (yet). Do they fit our coach, as well as the forty footers?
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Re: EXCITING OPPORTUNITY! All Members Please Read!

Reply #3
Do they fit our coach, as well as the forty footers?
Mike, I believe all the brass HWH valve bodies are the same, regardless of model or year.  They used a different looking electric coil, with a "U" shaped bracket, on the newer coaches.  But, I think the brass part is the same.  Except, that is, for the ones used on tag axle lifting manifolds.  Those have a larger internal port (hole) that the plunger sets down on.  Because it has a wide blue insert, this plunger should also work there!

Re: FACTORY NEW HWH PLUNGERS! All Members Please Read!

Reply #4
pm sent for 2 sets.
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #5
I think I would call Peter Paul Electronics and ask if the have the plungers, they are a valve manufacture.
The selected media item is not currently available.Bill&Doris 97 U270 36'
University of Parris Island Class of 66
Semper Fi  Build# 5174 MC#17094

Reply #6
Hmm, have not had any trouble (yet). Do they fit our coach, as well as the forty footers?
Mike,
You won't ever have a problem with these parts failing on your coach as you have a torsilastic suspension in you U-240.

Pamela & Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #7
You won't ever have a problem with these parts failing on your coach as you have a torsilastic suspension in you U-240.
Which I do, thanks. I'm still recovering from buying the Progressive  EMS!  ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #8
Mike, and Mike:

I have amended the initial post to clarify that these kits only pertain to coaches with HWH AIR leveling systems.

Reply #9
*****IMPORTANT POINT.

One of our members PM'd me and asked if these plungers were actually manufactured by HWH.  I didn't know, so I called Tom and asked him.

The short answer is "NO".

The long answer is like this: Tom invested a LOT of time searching for new plungers for his coach, before he came up with this solution.  He says that HWH does not actually do the machining of the individual parts used in their valves - they have them produced by sub-contractors.  What Tom did was take a original "HWH" plunger to a machine shop that specializes in valve manufacture, and had them reproduce it to the best of their ability.  The engineer he worked with says the "new" plunger is identical to the original piece, and functions "as good as the original".

Tom sold 35 kits to his forum members in the first group buy, and has had zero negative feedback.

I don't want to mislead anyone about this plunger.  I will amend my original post to remove any wording that would imply that this is a "genuine HWH part".  It is not.  But it is (IMO) the best replica that you are likely to find, and it is certainly better to use this reproduction, rather than the old worn pieces, when you rebuild your 6-packs.

If anyone wishes to change or cancel their order based on this disclosure, just PM me!  8)

Re: BRAND NEW REPLICA HWH PLUNGERS! All Members Please Read!

Reply #10
Hi Chuck,
Very interesting thread... I am pretty certain I want to get a couple of these, but wondering what you think the deadline will be to order via PM. I am currently spending hand over fist on repairing a park model trailer here at our home base and the thing is like little hatchlings in a nest screaming for more! I just hope our coach doesn't get jealous... ::)

Don
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #11
Don,

Totally understand conflicting priorities.  Tom and I didn't really discuss a deadline - we just said we'd see what kind of response we got.  He said he would need a minimum of 30 kits ordered to make this work, and as of this evening (without your order) our forum has already met that goal!  I'll keep checking in with him, and see what he says.  We won't close the "order window" without some advance warning...I want to be sure most of our members have had a chance to see the announcement.  I realize not everyone is online every day (like I am).

At this rate, I'm gonna have to really pump up my PayPal cash account!  :o

Reply #12
Chuck,

Thanks so much for finding this and working out a way for our forum to participate!

It says a lot that Tom is willing to take on the cost risk (and maybe you are in this, too) for producing these parts.  I saw on Newell Gurus that last time he did this, he didn't have a single unpaid order.  I'm looking forward to reading the same for this effort once it's completed ^.^d
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #13
It has been awhile since I have had my head in the coach air system (but always plenty of air in my head :o )... just to be clear, am I right in assuming that our non-tag axle coaches have two six packs, one in the front and one in the rear, but tag axle coaches have two in the rear? If correct then two kits will basically give me the ability to rebuild the HWH leveling manifolds, with the exception of the solenoids themselves. If so, then that is pretty high on on my list of desirable projects!
Don
Don,

Totally understand conflicting priorities.  Tom and I didn't really discuss a deadline - we just said we'd see what kind of response we got.  He said he would need a minimum of 30 kits ordered to make this work, and as of this evening (without your order) our forum has already met that goal!  I'll keep checking in with him, and see what he says.  We won't close the "order window" without some advance warning...I want to be sure most of our members have seen the announcement.  I realize not everyone is online every day (like me).

At this rate, I'm gonna have to pump up my PayPal cash account!  :o
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #14
...am I right in assuming that our non-tag axle coaches have two six packs, one in the front and one in the rear, but tag axle coaches have two in the rear? If correct then two kits will basically give me the ability to rebuild the HWH leveling manifolds, with the exception of the solenoids themselves.
Yes, as far as I know, your understanding (about the tag axle) is correct.  Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

The only other "replaceable" parts on each 6-pack are the four little O-rings on the two check valves.  (See my thread on the 6-pack rebuild for details)  I replaced these, but the original ones were in almost perfect condition.  Truthfully, I think they would have been fine if I had left them undisturbed.  I mostly removed them out of curiosity...just to see what they looked like.

Reply #15
Bump to the top.

I want to keep this at the top of the "new posts" until I'm pretty sure everybody has had a chance to read it.

I an going into town today.  I will check with the Post Office on the best Priority Mail box for this purpose, and what it will cost.  I also want to check the cost of insurance, in case anyone wants more than the standard $50 coverage.  More info to follow.

Reply #16
PM'd for a pair.

Thanks
David & DC
97 U320 40' WTBI M11 450 #5153
01 Wrangler Sport
Near Palacios, TX

Reply #17
Just a thought but we will all be left with a handful of plungers that need new blue plastic seals !
Any way to refurbish them ?
Jimmy
2003 U295 3620

Reply #18
Jimmy, I do not know of any other way to say this except "So, what if we are left with a bunch of plungers as I doubt we will need to do the exchange again anyway, and at this price just think of the money saved compared to what it would have been had Chuck not got us this deal"?
A lot of owners think nothing of paying a mechanic $120 and hour to change their oil etc, so think of the positive side of it all. Money saved for once ^.^d
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #19
Just a thought but we will all be left with a handful of plungers that need new blue plastic seals !  Any way to refurbish them ?
You should figure out how to do it!  You could have a sweet little part-time business.  I read that HWH wants $75 per valve to do a rebuild, which is basically just O-rings and a new plunger and spring.  Go for it!

Reply #20
I paid $109 for a single solenoid last summer at HWH ! 
Dave W. (AKA Toyman )
'03, 270, 36', Build 6095, Pulling whatever I hook it to.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
Dr Seuss

Reply #21
Greetings from Replica Plunger HQ.  I have some good news, and some not so good news.

Good news: Tom McCloud (my contact at NewellGurus) kindly offered to sell me a "sample" kit from his private stash.  After his first group buy, he held back a couple kits for his own future use.  Now, since he is going to place another order, he is willing to part with one kit.  I will receive the kit in our Monday mail.  I will take (and post) a bunch of hi-res photos, and examine the parts to the best of my ability.  I will even pull one of my freshly rebuilt valves apart, and remove the old plunger, so I can physically compare the two.  We both feel it will ease the minds of those placing orders, to have someone on our Forum actually "see" the contents of the kit.

Not so good news:  Going in, I had no idea this offer would elicit such a hearty response!  I figured 20-25 kits, at the most.  Well, (as of this morning) I now have 29 "customers" on my list, with a total order for 63 kits.  My agreement with Tom was that I would pay him in advance for the total cost of our orders, before he ships them to me.  Then, I will recover my "investment" from our members, before we mail out the boxes.  This means (as of this morning) that I will have to come up with $6300 cash before I will receive our kits.  This is pushing my resources to the limit.

As a result, I have no choice but to give notice that the "order window" for our Forum will close at midnight tonight.

There is a lot of trust involved in this whole deal.  Tom McCloud is taking my word that I will purchase the kits we order from him.  He is putting up his personal money to place the order with the plunger manufacturer.  I am trusting him to send me the kits we ordered, after I send him my cash.  And you, the Forum members, are placing a great deal of trust in me - taking my word that you will actually get the kits you ordered when you pay me.  Plus, of course, I am trusting you all to take the kits you ordered (but I'm not worried in the least about that part).

This will end up being a lot of work for Jeannie and I, because she will be helping me with mailing out all the boxes when the time comes.  I want to reiterate that I am not making a penny on this deal - I will only charge you my cost for the kits ($100), plus shipping expenses.

I hope everyone understands my position, and why I need to "close the order window" with such short notice.

Reply #22
Chuck,

So these kits should be compatible with all Foretravels regardless of the year?

Jim

2002 U320
Jim Frerichs
2002 U320 42'

Reply #23
Jim,

I cannot guarantee compatibility with all years/models, because I have not examined the valves on all those coaches.  If the factory replacement HWH valve for your system would be a RAP1940, then these plungers should fit.  If the valves on your coach look like those in the photos below, then these plungers should fit.  That's all I can tell you.

Reply #24
Sent a pm from my phone but appears to have gone as an email I think.  Thank you for doing this.
Toby a 94 u280
Cummins 8.3
6 speed Allison
Exhaust brake

Adopted by Derek and Annabelle