Skip to main content
Topic: Genset surge (Read 1591 times) previous topic - next topic

Genset surge

Onan Emerald 3  6.5 kw lpg is surging +/-20v untill nearly fully loaded, after extremely rough road trip will check plugs, points and wires, air filter looks good. Oil ok. Any other suspects?There is a thread about rear bearing, about to order service parts? May be a weak cylinder?
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Re: Genset surge

Reply #1
Is this a liquid lp generator or vapor lp generator (look on the lp tank to see if there is a liquid tap for the generator)?
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
When you say rough trip do you mean a few things went bad or the drive was off road?

Off road could be a wire wiggled  loose.

Reply #3
When you say rough trip do you mean a few things went bad or the drive was off road?

Off road could be a wire wiggled  loose.
Eastbound I-40 out of Barstow, potcraters 100' on center. Lots of things giggled loose and required stops to fix. Ditch may have been smoother. Did a walk around about every 90 minutes to survey rig.

Brett will double check but I think it's vapor, has a regulator with rubber vent hose, which I will check for critters.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #4
Vapor generator, I can see the carb butterfly cycling, is there a way to dampen the movement, or is something else going on? It appears there may be a possibility that this unit may slide out somewhat to allow service to the back cylinder. Is it supposed to slide out?
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #5
   Phred
If it's anything like mine (6.5 onan) the gen-set does not slide out as there are 2  1/4 bolts tying the rails down. You can work on the rear cylinder but it's a back strain deal with the access door in the way  :headwall:
If you got the manuals with the coach the gen-set book shows how to adjust the gov/throttle so the surging is reduced, I'm at 5,000 ft so it acts up a little at sea level then settles down.
88 Grand Villa 36' ORED 3208 (throwaway)Cat.
 Build # 3150
Happiness is the maximum agreement of reality and desire.

Reply #6
There is a sensitivity adjustment on the governor and also if it is to lean will cause it to surge.
previous 1984 35 ft ORED 250 HP 3208 Cat       
previous 1998 40 ft U295 CAI 325 hp Cummins
previous 2003 40 Ft u320 build #6140 450 Cummins M11.                                                         
1999 Mazda Miata
Ron, Nancy, Tipper the cat, Max The dog
1997 U 270 36 ft build number 5174 8.3 Cummins

Reply #7
Interesting-- at least in 1993, they were using LIQUID LP generators (easy to tell because there is a liquid tap on the LP tank).

There are some very well known issues with these.  But if yours if vapor they would not apply.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #8
Ok, 3 manuals don't show adjustments for surging no reference to governor sensitivity adjustment, there appears to be a adjustable rod end on the governor linkage that may be able to shorten the stroke of movement somewhat. And the main jet adjustment screw. Fatten the fuel mixture first and check the one accessable spark plug for carbon? Can't find points or condenser to check. Must be on the backside next to ignition coil. May have to yank the whole thing out just to work on it.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #9
There should be a screw on the carb body that if screwed in will increase engine speed sometimes you can run it very close to the stop and with less area to move might stop the surge. Which model of Onan do you have? I am not sure if it is an NH or a NHE. I should have service manuals for either one and I can check on governor adjustments. I think the spring tension on the throttle rod is what controls sensitivity.
1999 Mazda Miata

Reply #10
It's a NHE, accessable spark plug is very light tan almost white, so I may need to fatten the mixture a tad bit. There is a right angle knurled valve with a lock nut on that would appear to adjust/distribute  propane in a radial fashion into the carb inlet just down stream of the air filter i was hesitant to attempt to adjust with it. There does not appear to be any modulation of the propane fuel anywhere. So do they modulate the combustion air via the butterfly? Tailpipe fatigued off the muffler on the extremley rough I-40 trip home, so I may be getting some recirculation of oxygen less exhaust air.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #11
No muffler less back pressure would run lean.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #12
When you get all done, check your cycles to be on 60. Some of these adjustments may effect engine RPM.
John Duld
1995 U320C SE 40'

Reply #13
The color of the spark plug sounds right for propane.
1999 Mazda Miata

Reply #14
Was reading your original post. If generator has been operating normally and is suddenly erratic, I would check governor for either a sticky mechanism or an excessively worn mechanism. I wouldn't think the sensitivity adjustment wouldn't suddenly need adjusting that much, but would be the next step if mechanism is moving freely and is not overly worn.  If that doesn't work, the next approach would be to replace the governor spring.
Steve DeLange
2005 U320T 40'
Pearland, Texas

Reply #15
Was reading your original post. If generator has been operating normally and is suddenly erratic, I would check governor for either a sticky mechanism or an excessively worn mechanism. I wouldn't think the sensitivity adjustment wouldn't suddenly need adjusting that much, but would be the next step if mechanism is moving freely and is not overly worn.  If that doesn't work, the next approach would be to replace the governor spring.
Maybe over freely after I went around the coach and cleaned off grit and sprayed dry Teflon lube on all, locksets, hinges, latches, and any moving parts that I could observe and get to. Maybe it relied on some friction. Upon further inspection a few minutes ago, the plastic rod end has a lot of play in it only to be multipled by a lever arm. May have add some grit back, and then order a new one;-)
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #16
Doubt it needs grit back but a loose rod end will definitely cause a problem. Looseness from wear is different than freedom of movement from being clean and lubricated.
Steve DeLange
2005 U320T 40'
Pearland, Texas

Reply #17
Wow my old info brain is getting a workout.

I think the play in the governer rod does cause surging.  If held tight I think the surging stops
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #18
Bearings worn. Likely replaceable.  Governors like smooth operation with tight clearances to provide dampening affect. Looked at parts manual.  Rod end worn or a hole in arm being too big could be your problem.
Steve DeLange
2005 U320T 40'
Pearland, Texas

Reply #19
I believe I have found the sensitivity adjustment, you can alter governor spring tension via a Phillips head screw hidden under a lever arm. I will try racer stainless safety wire to tighten the clearance on the plastic rod end. After that I may fool with the fuel mixture, after putting a manometer on the gas regulator. I have never seen an engine until now with no fuel supply to the carburetor, which only serves to modulate air for combustion. Then again, mechanical diesels modulate fuel and wait the airflow to catch up.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #20
I just discovered the OEM coach wiring to the ATS from the 6.5 kw genset is 12 guage, lots of voltage drop. No wonder when the front a/c kicked on genset, all hell would break loose and the genset would shake the whole coach and surge for about 10 minutes on the trip home thru Needles Ca. at 112 F. Front a/c unit finally died three weeks ago in 105 heat from surge abuse I assume. Hard start capacitors can only do so much.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #21
While reading another post, it just hit me, thought it had to be play in the old linkage, never hooked up a manometer to see what the gas pressure was, because it's not listed in trouble shooting guide. This year it seems worse. hell it may be surging due to a regulator. Vapor regulator at generator is supposed to be per application manal -1/2 w.c. so I am guessing 30 year old rubber diagram, unhooked the vent hose to make sure critters hadn't built nest in there. No change. Will check "carb" and inlet connection as -1/2 w.c. isn't much. Seems like I heard somewhere that spiders or other insects are attracted to log oders
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #22
While reading another post, it just hit me, thought it had to be play in the old linkage, never hooked up a manometer to see what the gas pressure was, because it's not listed in trouble shooting guide. This year it seems worse. hell it may be surging due to a regulator. Vapor regulator at generator is supposed to be per application manal -1/2 w.c. so I am guessing 30 year old rubber diagram, unhooked the vent hose to make sure critters hadn't built nest in there. No change. Will check "carb" and inlet connection as -1/2 w.c. isn't much. Seems like I heard somewhere that spiders or other insects are attracted to log oders

I know you answered this earlier, but, please VERIFY by looking at the propane tank.  Does the propane tank have both a VAPOR port going to the house regulator AND a liquid port with a line going over to the generator? Or does the line to the generator come off the vapor port?

And, on the generator, is the regulator internal or external to the unit?  Picture or make and model of the regulator if external would be very helpful.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #23
 Repair the muffler before changing the jetting .  Reduce the slack in the control rod if it looks out of range.  IMHO.

Reply #24
Also check the governor sensitivity adjustment. Sometimes if the low speed adjustment screw is run a little closer to the stop on the throttle shaft so that it doesn't have as much room to oscillate that can help with surging. Also if to lean will surge. If I remember right there should be 2 regulators at the tank if you have the vapor withdrawal for the generator.
1999 Mazda Miata