Skip to main content

Topic: Slide Toppers (Read 1141 times) previous topic - next topic

• ltg
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Slide Toppers
Some Foretravels with slides have Slide Toppers and some do not. It is a personal preference like window awnings. Or is there another reason why some have them and others no not.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Slide Toppers
Reply #1
Personally I like them. Keeps debris off it and helps with rain and shade.

Reply #2
Some Foretravels with slides have Slide Toppers and some do not. It is a personal preference like window awnings. Or is there another reason why some have them and others no not.
We have them.  Didn't...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #3
We ordered ours without. I think they put them on all production models.

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
This is discussed a lot on the general RV forums I follow. Those who like them point out that they keep debris off of the top of the slide. Those who don't like them point out that when the wind blows just right they make an awful noise. We took...

Reply #5
Getting ready to order a Foretravel ic-37 in a few months and wanted to get opinions and lessons learned from those who have slide toppers.  My current coach does not have them.  I have seen others with them and as has been said above they seem...

Reply #6
Oscar we had them on our Newell.  They did make noise especially with gusty winds.  I solved that problem by putting pool noodles under them when it was windy.  Once we were in Boulder and had 1' snow on top of the topper.  Took a while to remove...

Reply #7
If they are like the one on our 2001 where the roller can continue out past the slide to make an awning then I would get them.  With the awning pulled out they do a really good job of shedding water.  If the awning out over the window is not...

Reply #8
Roger,

I believe they will be similar to what they have on the IH-45 and they just cover the slide top, they do not continue on over the windows.

Yes, I will ask for white topped slide outs above the radius so from the ground you will not be able...

Reply #9
I agree with everything Roger says. The window shade benifit offsets the other negatives in my opinion. Debris still can get under the topper sometimes so before I retract the slides I will use a dust mop to wipe the top of the slide off. I don't...

Reply #10
Oscar, if you have choices then you should be able to choose a slide topper that provides window shading.  Ask.  Expect.  You can get window awnings on an IH45.  I hope they are going to use windows that actually open.  The ones they used on the...

Reply #11

I've wondered that...

• Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:06:01 pm by Bill & Kim

Reply #12

I am very interested to see what the specs and options will be on the iC37.  Livability, storage and comfortable for months at a time on the road are pretty key for me.  And it...

• Carol & Scott
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
We like our Awnings too.   ;)

Reply #14
We love our roof mounted and window awnings too...but do not have toppers that cover just the slide tops.  Trying to get info on how people like their toppers that just cover their slide tops and go out automatically when their slide goes out.

Thanks

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
We have two slide toppers, one for bedroom and one for living room that is also a shade. Have had no issues with either one of them so far. Have replaced the rubber wipers on each once in the 6 years we've had the coach.

Reply #16
Hi Richard,

I have one topper on a 2003 single slide. It works well except the pull down strap is for ever dropping down and hitting the slide. I have tried rolling and securing by Velcro, throwing it up on the slide roof and finally tying it with...

Reply #17
Dr. Dee,  there is a rubber wiping gasket at the top of the slide.  It's job when it works is to help wipe water and debris off the top of the slide when it retracts.  It is a black rubber thing.  Many of them look white due to age.  It is...

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Hi Lou,
 What Roger said. Sometimes, when they get old, they will curl in when you retract the slide, then stay like that unless you use something to get them back in place. I use my awing hook/rod to do that.
 Don't think we'll make it to the...

Reply #19
I know this topic has died for a little but I have gotten a new to me coach that does not have awning over the slideouts, I have a 5th wheel that I keep at the lake and it has awning on the sliders.  When it rains and we get ready to leave and...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Mine has a piece of trim above the slide that takes a rubber squeegeeing material that cleans the slide as it shuts. Got replacement rubber from foretravel

Reply #21
For the ones without slider awnings do you worry about what is on top before your retract the sliders?

I get the ladder out every time and make sure my slide tops are clear of debris before...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
While I don't have slides, I have seen the wind work out some of them.

Reply #23
I get the ladder out every time and make sure my slide tops are clear of debris before bringing them in.  The worst was when I was in Loveland CO and got put under cottonwood trees during...

Reply #24
Joe - I do not park under trees unless absolutely necessary.  We were visiting our daughter and family and that is the only spot they had left that would fit our coach.  We kept a watchful eye out and as soon as another slot came open without...