Skip to main content
Topic: Slide Toppers (Read 1687 times) previous topic - next topic

Slide Toppers

Some Foretravels with slides have Slide Toppers and some do not. It is a personal preference like window awnings. Or is there another reason why some have them and others no not.
Larry and Terry
Ex 2004 U270 36'

Re: Slide Toppers

Reply #1
Personally I like them. Keeps debris off it and helps with rain and shade.

Reply #2
Some Foretravels with slides have Slide Toppers and some do not. It is a personal preference like window awnings. Or is there another reason why some have them and others no not.
We have them.  Didn't realize they were optional.
Mark Duckworth
2003 U320 4220
Build 6199, Motorcade 17971

Reply #3
We ordered ours without. I think they put them on all production models.
'07 Phenix Double slide, Bunk beds, 42'
'14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Reply #4
This is discussed a lot on the general RV forums I follow. Those who like them point out that they keep debris off of the top of the slide. Those who don't like them point out that when the wind blows just right they make an awful noise. We took care of the question by buying a coach that has no slides.

Reply #5
Getting ready to order a Foretravel ic-37 in a few months and wanted to get opinions and lessons learned from those who have slide toppers.  My current coach does not have them.  I have seen others with them and as has been said above they seem to either love them or hate them.  We tend to camp in windy locations and try to stay out from under trees - I hate tree sap! 

I am currently inclined to order my coach without slide toppers for it is just one more potential issue to deal with.  However, if those that have them provide a convincing reason why they are a must have I may reconsider.

Thank you in advance for those that take the time to provide input.

Oscar
Oscar & Janet Valent
2023 Coach House 261XLQD
Former 2004 U320 3820 PBBS
Former 2007 Newell Coach #815
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Reply #6
Oscar we had them on our Newell.  They did make noise especially with gusty winds.  I solved that problem by putting pool noodles under them when it was windy.  Once we were in Boulder and had 1' snow on top of the topper.  Took a while to remove all of that so I could bring in the slide without damaging the topper.
Another time the Zipdee spring had frozen up and while extending the bedroom slide the room jarred some.  Ended up tearing the fabric and actually separated the aluminum skin a bit.  Had to re-caulk that.  I was able to spray Corrosion X into the spring housing to release it.  So they can be troublesome.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #7
If they are like the one on our 2001 where the roller can continue out past the slide to make an awning then I would get them.  With the awning pulled out they do a really good job of shedding water.  If the awning out over the window is not pulled out then water can puddle up betwwen the roller and the roof line as the awning fabric sags.  Our awning has a single center pull strap that fits on the center slide mounted hook.  In windy conditions one corner can lift up so we generally tie each end of the awning to a point near each end of the slide.

If you are avoiding trees then you are likely going to be in the sun and any awnings make a big difference keeping the coach cooler.  Get real opening windows if you can and lighter exterior colors.

Reply #8
Roger,

I believe they will be similar to what they have on the IH-45 and they just cover the slide top, they do not continue on over the windows.

Yes, I will ask for white topped slide outs above the radius so from the ground you will not be able to see that it is white.  My current coach has black on top of two of the slide outs and you could cook an egg up there with the sun shining on it.  The lighter gold topped slide outs are not too bad.  My coach has some pretty good insulation so I do not get a lot of heat passing through.  If the wind is not blowing too hard I have roof awning on both driver and passenger sides that cover the slide outs.

So with the input I have gotten thus far I would say that I am best to go with no slide toppers.

Thank you,
Oscar
Oscar & Janet Valent
2023 Coach House 261XLQD

Reply #9
I agree with everything Roger says. The window shade benifit offsets the other negatives in my opinion. Debris still can get under the topper sometimes so before I retract the slides I will use a dust mop to wipe the top of the slide off. I don't want to take the chance of puncturing a bladder slide seal. For that matter even if you don't have toppers you should check or wipe the top of the slide. Especially if you were under a pine tree. Ice or snow is a problem whether you have slide toppers or not.
2006 Nimbus 340'
Build #6353
Aug 2005
Motorcader #17139

Reply #10
Oscar, if you have choices then you should be able to choose a slide topper that provides window shading.  Ask.  Expect.  You can get window awnings on an IH45.  I hope they are going to use windows that actually open.  The ones they used on the Phenix and other later models,didn't open or had a little tiny opening section. 

One of the things many really like about the 95-05 models (earlier ones too) was large opening windows that let in lots of cross ventilation.  We spent two weeks next to a 45' Phoenix.  I think it had three tiny opening windows.  Their (somewhat noisey) AC systems (3 or 4) were on all the time.  No window awnings, dark body paint.  We never ran our AC at all.  Windows open, fresh air.

I am very interested to see what the specs and options will be on the iC37.  Livability, storage and comfortable for months at a time on the road are pretty key for me.  And it needs to have most systems maintainable by me.

It will be great to see how this works for you.  Best wishes for a wonderful outcome.

Roger

Reply #11

I've wondered that same thing and this is what I've decided...  While I like the idea of a separate topper for the slide and salon window (shade), over time, the slide awning stretches and when it rains/snows, it pools...  and that can (and has with us), cause a leak through the lock-pin hole.  With a slide topper that pulls out like Roger & Susan recommend (both topper & shade), there is absolutely no pooling (stretched taunt) and you get a side awning to boot.  Sure...  over time it too stretches but nothing like the two separate awnings.

The rear closet slide is so narrow as to have negligible issue with water & or snow collection. 

The point here, I think is, does one need a slide topper or not?  So then we get into the "wiper blade" for the slide when the slide is retracting after being exposed to rain, snow, birds, etc...  With a topper, you have a primary cover to help lessen the amount of debris/H2O, frozen or not, that the wiper has to remove. 

Without the topper, whatever lands on top is all the responsibility of that rubber slide to remove. 

In warm climates, it's pliable and effective....  when it's cold...

It ain't.

I've decided that cleaning the top of the slide is good but preventing said debris from landing on it, I'm thinking, is better. 

Bill Jackson & Kim Sweeney
24' Lazy Daze TK
SKP Lifetime member #105622
2002 U320 PBDS 36' (Sold)
Build 5941

Reply #12

I am very interested to see what the specs and options will be on the iC37.  Livability, storage and comfortable for months at a time on the road are pretty key for me.  And it needs to have most systems maintainable by me.

Roger, I too am anxious to see the final specs and options for the IC-37.  From what I have gleaned from Foretravel thus far I think they have listened and are trying their best to have the IC-37 be what you have all asked for.  We are full timers downsizing from a 45'+ coach to a 37'+ coach and are excited that it seems to fit our needs.  We will all find out when they publish the final specs and options.
Oscar & Janet Valent
2023 Coach House 261XLQD

Reply #13
We like our Awnings too.  ;)
Scott & Carol Seibert
2001 42' double slide U320 - Sold
Previous - 2002 36' U320

Reply #14
We love our roof mounted and window awnings too...but do not have toppers that cover just the slide tops.  Trying to get info on how people like their toppers that just cover their slide tops and go out automatically when their slide goes out.

Thanks
Oscar & Janet Valent
2023 Coach House 261XLQD

Reply #15
We have two slide toppers, one for bedroom and one for living room that is also a shade. Have had no issues with either one of them so far. Have replaced the rubber wipers on each once in the 6 years we've had the coach.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #16
Hi Richard,

I have one topper on a 2003 single slide. It works well except the pull down strap is for ever dropping down and hitting the slide. I have tried rolling and securing by Velcro, throwing it up on the slide roof and finally tying it with a twisty and placing it on the roof. The twisty maneuver works best. Other tan that the topper works great. What is the rubber replacement you mention? I was unaware of that part. 
Come join us in Colorado Springs,

Lou
I have a 2003 36' U295, 27,000 owned for 17 months. This is my 1st & last.  Like to meet other owners.VP of 4 Corner Chapter MotorCader especially in CO. In learning process looking for qyality, knowledgeable service center. Also, spend winters in Goodyear, AZ Contact at LRDECAROL@AOL.COM.

Reply #17
Dr. Dee,  there is a rubber wiping gasket at the top of the slide.  It's job when it works is to help wipe water and debris off the top of the slide when it retracts.  It is a black rubber thing.  Many of them look white due to age.  It is attached in a channel on the outside of the coach just below the awning mount.  You can get the gasket by the foot at FT or MOT.

Reply #18
Hi Lou,
 What Roger said. Sometimes, when they get old, they will curl in when you retract the slide, then stay like that unless you use something to get them back in place. I use my awing hook/rod to do that.
 Don't think we'll make it to the rally, sorry.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #19
I know this topic has died for a little but I have gotten a new to me coach that does not have awning over the slideouts, I have a 5th wheel that I keep at the lake and it has awning on the sliders.  When it rains and we get ready to leave and pull the slides in we have to go slow in order for the water to drain off the slide since it puddles on the awning. As you pull in the awning you  can see the leaves that were sitting on the awing fall off.

Since this is my first coach that has slides and no awnings I have not figured out if I want to spend the 6 coach bucks for awning on the slides.  We stayed at the Alamo KOA over Thanksgiving and were parked under a tree that was dropping acorns the whole time we were there. When we were getting ready to leave I pulled out ladder and removed the 10,000 acorns that were sitting on the slides before I ran them in.  I read the manual and it says if it is raining to tilt the RV to the side to let the water run of that side before running the sliders in on that side.  After reading the above posts I was thinking of making a duster that has a 90 on it so I can run it along the top of the slideout to remove all of the leaves or acorns before pulling slides in.

For the ones without slider awnings do you worry about what is on top before your retract the sliders?
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #20
Mine has a piece of trim above the slide that takes a rubber squeegeeing material that cleans the slide as it shuts. Got replacement rubber from foretravel

Reply #21
For the ones without slider awnings do you worry about what is on top before your retract the sliders?

I get the ladder out every time and make sure my slide tops are clear of debris before bringing them in.  The worst was when I was in Loveland CO and got put under cottonwood trees during their "cotton" season - what a mess of sap, little pods, and cotton!  I had to go up with a pail of hot soapy water and a dish sponge and clean off all the slide tops before I put them in.  If I had had toppers it would have been even more of a mess to get them all cleaned up before rolling all the crud up.  I will stick with "no" toppers!
Oscar & Janet Valent
2023 Coach House 261XLQD

Reply #22
While I don't have slides, I have seen the wind work out some of them.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #23
I get the ladder out every time and make sure my slide tops are clear of debris before bringing them in.  The worst was when I was in Loveland CO and got put under cottonwood trees during their "cotton" season - what a mess of sap, little pods, and cotton!  I had to go up with a pail of hot soapy water and a dish sponge and clean off all the slide tops before I put them in.  If I had had toppers it would have been even more of a mess to get them all cleaned up before rolling all the crud up.  I will stick with "no" toppers!

Oscar, just another reason why we never parked under trees!  With full body paint, it is a nightmare to clean up for one and with slides, just more stuff falling on top!  We just sold a 40' fifth wheel with 4 slides and I went up on the roof each and every time to make sure they were clean of debris.  Had a large squeegee to remove the water, as I just didn't trust the wipers getting rid of all of that water when it rained.  Of course with our '98 Foretravel, we had no slides and found the coach very liveable for full-time use!

Foretravel will be at the Tampa show in January and we plan on attending.  The ic37 is supposed to be there.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #24
Joe - I do not park under trees unless absolutely necessary.  We were visiting our daughter and family and that is the only spot they had left that would fit our coach.  We kept a watchful eye out and as soon as another slot came open without trees above we asked to transfer.

Yes, the ic-37 is going to be at the Tampa show.  We will be there Wed and Fri.  We are looking forward to seeing it all put together!  Maybe we will see your there!
Oscar & Janet Valent
2023 Coach House 261XLQD