Skip to main content
Topic: Changing of the Waste Valves (Read 2025 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing of the Waste Valves

Getting ready to replace both the gray and black waste valves.  Any recommendationsor or tips  before tackling the project.  I flushed out tanks and I will be leaning the coach to the curb side to  prevent any residual leakage.  I will also be cleaning out the bay and rerouting the fresh tank overflow.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Re: Changing of the Waste Valves

Reply #1
Should be a piece of cake for you John. As you know I did mine a few months back.

Mark
The selected media item is not currently available.
Mark and Tanya
Milton , Florida
US Navy Veteran (DV)
1999 U270 Special 40' CAI , 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply #2
Coat the new slides and seals with 300 degree plumbers grease.
The selected media item is not currently available.Bill&Doris 97 U270 36'
University of Parris Island Class of 66
Semper Fi  Build# 5174 MC#17094

Reply #3
John, why not get the Drainmaster electric SS ones and be done with cables etc. I did it over a year ago and like it.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #4
Any recommendationsor or tips

Just label the wires for the pump and fill switches. It's pretty straightforward although a little awkward. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and a couple of combination wrenches. Here's a few photos of what you'll see when you get it open.

If you're interested this would be a great time to cut an access door in the panel so you can see what's going on back there without removing the panels. I knocked off this idea from Steve and Michelle for our 320. The last two photos show the hole and the panel in place.
jor

Reply #5
Some folks put a cup of cheap vegetable oil down the drains to lubricate the empty tank valves just before their off-season storage.
Actually you could do this anytime during normal usage if you are having sluggish valve performance.
FYI, if changing the toilet seal to the floor and using  wax seal .
ANY wax dropping that drops into the tank could block /gum-up the drain valve - requiring very patient disassembly for cleaning. Ah... don't ask me how I just happen to  know this.
Jim

2002 U320 #5957

Currently enjoying the far southern TX "heat wave"
Jim Frerichs
2002 U320 42'

Reply #7
T-Man,
They are very tight to open and close.  I figured if I am going to take them apart to clean, I might as well replace them with new ones.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #8
As long as you are doing this you might consider adding a 3rd valve, It probably the best project we've done on our coach.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #9
Question?  Are the valve assemblies glued into the waste pipe bell?  Seems that it would be nice if there was some sort of gasket there so that the whole valve assembly could easily be removed for service without cutting pipe. 

Wantabe

Reply #10
Mine were glued. We cut them out.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #11
I am sure this has been addressed before, but since we are on the topic, can you guide me as to which part (s) size pipe, other parts I should order. I want to add a third valve also. I like the idea of electric valves though.......???? any problems with them ??
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #12
I have not had any problems with mine so am happy so far.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #14
Question?  Are the valve assemblies glued into the waste pipe bell?  Seems that it would be nice if there was some sort of gasket there so that the whole valve assembly could easily be removed for service without cutting pipe.
To simply replace the dump valves, it is not necessary to cut anything.  Each waste valve consists of two flange assemblies, which are glued onto the waste pipes, and a center valve assembly section, which is bolted between the two flanges.  To replace the valve, all you have to do is remove the 4 bolts, remove the old valve assembly, slide the new valve assembly in place, and reinstall the bolts.

If you wish to install a third dump valve, then you will have do some cutting.  Every installation will be a little different, depending on how the waste pipes and original valves are positioned.  Search "third dump valve" on this Forum to see MANY threads on different installations.  See post below for sample photos of how it fit on our GV, and list of parts required:

Problems with third dump valve mod
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #15
Tight valves:  empty tank, close valves, pour in a quart of inexpensive vegetable oil, let it drain to bottom of tank against valve, quickly partially open and close valve several times to spread oil as a lubricant. 

Valves will now be easy peasy to slide open and close.

As others have said no cutting to change valves.  Remove 4 bolts, spread apart, clean all surfaces real well, put some plumbers silicone grease on new rubber gaskets, slip new valve between flanges, snug up 4 bolts. 

Will have to deal with pull handles, maybe transfer handle parts to new valves.

Reply #16
I ended up replacing the valves.  When I looked at the valves the seals were rolled.  The cable body the goes into the valve was worn out from slipping out of the valve. On one valve where the cable body goes into the valve was cracked and they had a 2" C-Clamp squeezing it to hold the cable in place.  A small job turned into a much larger project because now I replace the outdoor faucet, added the flush kit for the grey and black tank and added the EMS.  I'll move this new project and any updates to Renvations.  If their is a way to move this conversation to Renovations I will.
Thanks everyone for the input and help,
John M.
John & Carm Morales

Reply #17
Since I was in the Utility Bay changing the waste valves, I decided to update the antique large neck faucet and replaced it with a smaller faucet with the quick disconnect and pigtail hose.  Since the old faucet is gone , I used the holes from the old faucet to install my tank flush kit.  The dilemma I am having is deciding where to drill in the tank.  Initially I was going to drill on top on the flat of the tank but now I'm thinking of drilling lower on the angled portion of the tank close to the top of the tank.  Where have some of you that have installed the flush nozzle on your tanks, have drilled?
Thanks, John M.
John & Carm Morales

Reply #18
Where have some of you that have installed the flush nozzle on your tanks, have drilled?

I did mine at the top position. I usually fill up right to that level. By the way, that's a fine lookin' wet bay!
jor

Reply #19
Just purchased some valterra waste valves to change out the old ones. for some reason I thought the gray tank valve was one and a half inches but now looking at it it looks like they're both three inches. Is this correct?

Also question about the electric valves. Did you have any problems installing them in that space? Did you use three? I want to redo that space because previous owners have dumped effluent there. I do have a third valve But need to set it up for the waste master hose connection. So I was going to insert it a little bit further into the bay for more room. since I do have a black water tank flush I'm wondering if the third valve is really necessary? Although I guess it does add a peace of mind.
So I wonder stay with the manual valves or switch to electric?
and that I really buy one and a half inch thou for no reason and have to return it to Amazon?

Thanks
Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #20
Bob,
  They are both three inch and I have a waste master type hose that stays hooked up all the time. The nozzle valve works as a third valve. You can shut it to backwash the black tank with gray water.

Mark
The selected media item is not currently available.
Mark and Tanya
Milton , Florida
US Navy Veteran (DV)
1999 U270 Special 40' CAI , 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply #21
Okay good to know thanks for that info. Returning the Valtura valves and order two drain master electrical valves. Going to go without the third valve. And like you said used a waste master valve as the third. I can always add it back on if I wanted to later.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #22
Just label the wires for the pump and fill switches. It's pretty straightforward although a little awkward. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and a couple of combination wrenches. Here's a few photos of what you'll see when you get it open.

If you're interested this would be a great time to cut an access door in the panel so you can see what's going on back there without removing the panels. I knocked off this idea from Steve and Michelle for our 320. The last two photos show the hole and the panel in place.
jor

That access door is a great Idea! I'm planning a COVID19 Stainless Steel Panel upgrade right now. Thanks.
Prior 2003 U295  40ft  400Hp -Sold
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2021 Bundutec Roadrunner - Sold
2017 Airstream Classic - Sold that POS
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #23
Okay good to know thanks for that info. Returning the Valtura valves and order two drain master electrical valves. Going to go without the third valve. And like you said used a waste master valve as the third. I can always add it back on if I wanted to later.
After my previous "Black Tank Full Frontal Assault" I'd never go without a 3rd Valve again. I knew better but did not add it when I got this rig. I'm going to check out those electric valves, see if they will fit.
Prior 2003 U295  40ft  400Hp -Sold
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2021 Bundutec Roadrunner - Sold
2017 Airstream Classic - Sold that POS
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold
2022 Winnebago Revel 4x4

Army Airborne Vet.

Reply #24
As has been said I'm going to use the waste master hoses the third valve and leave the waste master hose permanently attached to the end of the waste pipe. Seems like it should be ok and if not can modify it. Two of the electric valves were slightly more cash than three of the manual ones.
As usual, time will tell.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired