Skip to main content

Topic: Changing of the Waste Valves (Read 1507 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing of the Waste Valves
Getting ready to replace both the gray and black waste valves.  Any recommendationsor or tips  before tackling the project.  I flushed out tanks and I will be leaning the coach to the curb side to  prevent any residual leakage.  I will also be...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• MAZ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Changing of the Waste Valves
Reply #1
Should be a piece of cake for you John. As you know I did mine a few months back.

Mark

Reply #2
Coat the new slides and seals with 300 degree plumbers grease.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
John, why not get the Drainmaster electric SS ones and be done with cables etc. I did it over a year ago and like it.
JohnH

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Any recommendationsor or tips

Just label the wires for the pump and fill switches. It's pretty straightforward although a little awkward. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and a couple of combination wrenches. Here's a few photos of what you'll...

Reply #5
Some folks put a cup of cheap vegetable oil down the drains to lubricate the empty tank valves just before their off-season storage.
Actually you could do this anytime during normal usage if you are having sluggish valve performance.
FYI, if...

Reply #6
Getting ready to replace both the gray and black waste valves.

Are they leaking or do you just want piece of mind, John?

Reply #7
T-Man,
They are very tight to open and close.  I figured if I am going to take them apart to clean, I might as well replace them with new ones.
John M.

Reply #8
As long as you are doing this you might consider adding a 3rd valve, It probably the best project we've done on our coach.

Reply #9
Question?  Are the valve assemblies glued into the waste pipe bell?  Seems that it would be nice if there was some sort of gasket there so that the whole valve assembly could easily be removed for service without cutting pipe. 

Wantabe

Reply #10
Mine were glued. We cut them out.

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
I am sure this has been addressed before, but since we are on the topic, can you guide me as to which part (s) size pipe, other parts I should order. I want to add a third valve also. I like the idea of electric valves though.......???? any problems...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
I have not had any problems with mine so am happy so far.
JohnH

Reply #13
I changed mine and added a third valve.  We like it.

Recent third dump valve installations (split from another topic)

Reply #14
Question?  Are the valve assemblies glued into the waste pipe bell?  Seems that it would be nice if there was some sort of gasket there so that the whole valve assembly could easily be removed...

Reply #15
Tight valves:  empty tank, close valves, pour in a quart of inexpensive vegetable oil, let it drain to bottom of tank against valve, quickly partially open and close valve several times to spread oil as a lubricant. 

Valves will now be easy peasy...

Reply #16
I ended up replacing the valves.  When I looked at the valves the seals were rolled.  The cable body the goes into the valve was worn out from slipping out of the valve. On one valve where the cable body goes into the valve was cracked and they...

Reply #17
Since I was in the Utility Bay changing the waste valves, I decided to update the antique large neck faucet and replaced it with a smaller faucet with the quick disconnect and pigtail hose.  Since the old faucet is gone , I used the holes from...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Where have some of you that have installed the flush nozzle on your tanks, have drilled?

I did mine at the top position. I usually fill up right to that level. By the way, that's a fine lookin' wet bay!
jor

Reply #19
Just purchased some valterra waste valves to change out the old ones. for some reason I thought the gray tank valve was one and a half inches but now looking at it it looks like they're both three inches. Is this correct?

Also question about the...

• MAZ
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Bob,
  They are both three inch and I have a waste master type hose that stays hooked up all the time. The nozzle valve works as a third valve. You can shut it to backwash the black tank with gray water.

Mark

Reply #21
Okay good to know thanks for that info. Returning the Valtura valves and order two drain master electrical valves. Going to go without the third valve. And like you said used a waste master valve as the third. I can always add it back on if I...

• OSIN
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #22
Just label the wires for the pump and fill switches. It's pretty straightforward although a little awkward. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and a couple of combination wrenches. Here's a few photos of...

• OSIN
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #23
Okay good to know thanks for that info. Returning the Valtura valves and order two drain master electrical valves. Going to go without the third valve. And like you said used a waste...

Reply #24
As has been said I'm going to use the waste master hoses the third valve and leave the waste master hose permanently attached to the end of the waste pipe. Seems like it should be ok and if not can modify it. Two of the electric valves were...