Skip to main content

Topic: Grand Villa Windshield Woes... (Read 1902 times) previous topic - next topic

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Grand Villa Windshield Woes...
Well I thought that my past windshield shifting had been rectified with the new gaskets done a few years ago. We had not had any issues ... But yesterday I was sitting in the coach here in the campground at Daytona and see something I thought was...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Grand Villa Windshield Woes...
Reply #1
Stump, could there be any problem of de lamination of the front cap from the chassis causing this fiber glass to shift.  Another previous FT owner, John Duld, pointed out to me his front cap came loose and he could push on the windshield and make...

Reply #2
Stump,

You are too nice a person to have all these bad things happen to you.

To help Karma fix things, buy a lottery ticket. ^.^d

Trent

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
The cap was inspected by Tn RV when I first got the coach and the glass shifted. They replaced all the rubber moulding. That was about 2 grand. The left glass shifted again and China Grove Glass and Coach worked it back in and charged me 100.00....

Reply #4
Our windshields move around quite a bit. The driver's side developed a gap to the outside a while back. I thought about gluing it but decided it might be best to let the glass move as it wants. I wait until it's warm and then push it back to...

• Siren
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Stump, I'm so sorry for your windshield frustrations.  We can sympathize, as we had our share of windshield woes, too - gaps, shifting, etc.  Ours is not a Grand Villa, so of course, things are different. 

We had Xtreme reset the windshield...

Reply #6
  No it was a crack from too to bottom on the right windshield.

When I first looked at the pic, I went to brush what I thought was dog hair off the screen! Never seen a crack like that. I see what...

Reply #7
My windshield squeaked from the first day I got the coach. Was always very careful when transitioning from one surface to another. Last year my windshield popped out (driver's side).I got both windshields and gasket replaced at FOT. I had...

Reply #8
Stump, give Hans a shout. He had this issue and did his own repair.

Enjoy your trip!

Reply #9
I have a feeling that changing the rubber around the glass contributes to the popping.  While it seems to make sense to also change rubber, leaving the original rubber in place and sliding in a new piece of glass, problems may be avoided. ...

• NancyS
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Check the width of your problem gasket, there are 2 different widths.  The new wide one is approx. 1-3/4" the other is really narrow about 1".  When jacking, do not twist the coach.

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
When our right-side windshield cracked a couple of years ago the insurance company sent a mobile outfit to install the new windshield. As we were scheduling the appointment I told them that it looked like the gasket had been damaged so they...

Reply #12
Stump,
Does your coach have the "hand holds" mounted below the windshield?  These were added as a fix for front cap movement on the Grand Villas--- my previous coach, a 1990 Grand Villa Unihome had them added, and i never had a problem with the...

Reply #13
 Take a close look at the front body mounts. You may want to add a pair of triangulated struts from the frame up to the cowl/Grab rails.
  Kinda like the Aussy guy did. 
 My LR body mount  is the only rusty place on my ORED  and I am now...

Reply #14
If replacing front airbags on a GV, it might be good to raise both sides at the same time to avoid twisting the front.

We don't have the handles up front but it might be good to see about installing long screws to possibly stabilize the cap.

Pierce

Reply #15
I agree with protech that additional triangulation may prevent some of the movement. Experiment with a cracker box basically open on the windshield end and the back end realitivly well secured. Trouble is I think its the roof at the top front...

Reply #16
I don't know anything about triangulation but what I do know is that since Foretravel repaired and put their food in for my delamination and windshield install I don't have any more squeaks. I seem to remember someone on the Forum tried to...

Reply #17
We had a repeat windshield popping out at a corner problem, and separation down the center. All caused by rotten plywood. I opened one of the service doors in the nose and found to my surprise I could shove my finger through the 3/4" plywood...

Reply #18
Yes the  design has the plywood as the main structure.  Every time it cycles it gets weaker  and water  destroy it's usefulness.
 Triangulating the nose in front of the plywood,  engaging the dash and upper area of the cap should let this live...

Reply #19
We don't have the handles up front but it might be good to see about installing long screws to possibly stabilize the cap.

Good thread (unfortunately), I've learned a lot. We...

Reply #20
Stump....I had my right windshield crack and found the delam issue. Not a bad repair job on 95 since access is easier. Give me a shout or check my prior post.

Hey to Betsy !

Hans

Reply #21
Just finished today installing a new factory one piece gasket and two new factory windshields.  The old ones were after market and the gasket was a hodgepodge of different gaskets.  Originally I had parked the unit on slightly unlevel surface  (1...

Reply #22
You did that job yourself? I am impressed. It is a bit amazing to me though, what we are willing to do to maintain these coaches. Never in all my days did I think I would ever have been up for a radiator r n r on a rig this size. But you get the...

Reply #23
Patience is a virtue when it comes to this replacement (having to shell out 1470 plus for both windshields is a great incentive for patience, plus 240 for the seal).  Getting the new gasket center exactly located is important.  I  marked where...

• Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:48:42 pm by pikewrench

Reply #24
And I always thought that the handles below the windshields were for getting up on the bumper to wash the windshield.  Always good to learn some thing new.  Have a great day  ----  Fritz