Skip to main content

Topic: Foretravel maintenance and repairs.  (Read 1655 times) previous topic - next topic

Foretravel maintenance and repairs.
Where does everyone get their coach worked on? Trying to decide on an older Foretravel or more common brand like Winnebago or the like for our first RV. seems like it might be easier to find a place to get a more common brand worked on. We live...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• BobW
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Foretravel maintenance and repairs.
Reply #1
Chuck
We are in Crossville, TN and have found a good diesel shop in Cookeville, TN (Walker Diesel). Tennessee RV east of Knoxville may be too far for you. I think buying the best motorhome takes priority over service. You will need service for...

Reply #2
Chuck, when I was driving Foretravel's, there was a Foretravel dealer inKodak,just eastof Knoxville, a group of folks bought the business when Ray Fore closed all of the dealerships. Things evolved but some of the techs were still around fairly...

Reply #3
While it may seem inviting to purchase an older brand like a W, because of the build quality, owning one may cause a lot of headaches. Buying an older gasoline powered coach is really inviting trouble unless you are mechanically minded. Their...

Reply #4
Trying to decide on an older Foretravel or more common brand like Winnebago or the like for our first RV. seems like it might be easier to find a place to get a more common brand worked...

Reply #5
Any of the older RVs will cost  some cash for repairs. The difference with the Foretravel is that when you get it "done" it will be really nice  and still worth something. A main benefit of the PusherDiesel is the quiet drive and road manors.  ...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
seems like it might be easier to find a place to get a more common brand worked on.

Foretravels are good, well built rigs but there's nothing special about most of their components. For a few Foretravel specific issues it's nice to have...

Reply #7
Chuck, I along with other forum members have owned another brand.  we had a 32 ft. gasser HR that we really liked and for short trips it was fine.  There are substantial differences in a 40 ft. that comes in at close to 40,000 lbs and a 32 ft...

• ltg
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
You are comparing apples with oranges. A Foretravel is a luxury motorhome. A Winnebago is a middle of the line motorhome. Think of Chevrolet and Mercedes. All require maintenance. Take a Chevrolet in for maintenance is not the same as taking a...

• Carol & Scott
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
I think most of us have found a good mechanic close by like Tenn. RV, that has good experience or stop by Nac during our travels for the repairs that we can not do.  Depending on the problem there also many truck repair shops that are familiar...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Chuck, Tennessee RV used to be a Foretravel dealership. They still have quite an affinity for Foretravels. When you are home that would be a good place to check. Yes, they work on other brands, too, and have a pretty big shop. They installed the...

Reply #11
Be aware there is a vast difference in complexity along the Foretravel line.  From the spring suspended earlier Grand Villa models with the little 6b Cummins engine that are extremely rugged, same great interiors and build quality, simple cheap...

Reply #12
It would be dishonest for me to not admit that as much as I like the old Foretravel I own, I sometimes long for the old, unsophisticated days of a 34', NO air brake, NO air suspension, NO diesel, NO multitude of batteries, NO expensive tires to...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
It would be dishonest for me to not admit that as much as I like the old Foretravel I own, I sometimes long for the old, unsophisticated days of a 34', NO air brake, NO air suspension, NO...

Reply #14
   GM or Ford dealership for drive line problems.

Nope, does not always work that way: With the Airstream, I had a noisy valve lifter, found a "Isuzu/GMC dealer. Pulled in, the mgr, gave me...

Reply #15
It would be dishonest for me to not admit that as much as I like the old Foretravel I own, I sometimes long for the old, unsophisticated days of a 34', NO air brake, NO air suspension, NO...

Reply #16
I like my ORED KISS, but haven't driven a uni so how can I compare ride. ORED front shocks are not very effective but I think with 2 day work I could see a 30% improvement. No slides, no sixpack, no computers, level system is ok except for soft...

Reply #17
Could someone help me with some information?  1985 V917 Cat V8 w/ Allison tranny.  I changed the transmission fluid and filter.  I need a dip stick/fill tube. Mine was so old it just twisted when I tried to remove it.  Went to Allison for a...

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
FOT should have them. (Foretravel of texas)

Reply #19
This is a great question that as a new, first time FT owner I have been faced with a number of times. Without a dealer network, my only options are to travel 570 miles to a FT recommended service center while in Denver or 380 miles while in...

Reply #20
FYI... Buying a 2000 U320 in the "middle-0f-nowhere" New Mexico.  I found a Freightliner  Semi-tractor repair, and they had no issues servicing the Air Brakes, Cummings engine, etc.   Take it to a Semi shop for chassie work, and an RV for...

Reply #21
380 miles while in Phoenix. I believe it is the best RV I have ever owned after 13 various Airstreams.
Curious, where and who are the FT service outlet you mention? Plenty of places in Phoenix...

Reply #22
Philip,

I found a good source recently, John Rummel is a retired business owner that rebuilt CAT engines.

John has a number of 3208's and may be able to help you, his info below.

Office: 817-386-2341
Cell: 817-223-3208
Email: jr427ford@gmail.com

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Chuck, have you made a decision yet, or are you still researching. If the latter, what questions do you have?

Reply #24
I recently purchased a 2000 U320.   It was in nowhere NM, and I had a Freightliner shop look it over. They did an okay job and were able to service the chassis, put new airbags in, and replace some leaky valves.  They did oil analysis and looked...