Skip to main content

Topic: lithium batteries- drop in  (Read 2126 times) previous topic - next topic

lithium batteries- drop in
This topic of drop in replacement Lithium batteries is very interesting and would certainly make life easier to upgrade my house battery bank.  I have 2 8g8d batteries each with 225 AH which means at 50% usage the maximum I would be able to use...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: lithium batteries- drop in
Reply #1
Ted here is an email I sent to someone who was asking about Lithium batteries, a few years ago I built a 1000Ah LiFePO4 system for my Newell that worked great and is still going strong in a friends coach.  BTW I'm not a genius but did spend...

Reply #2
Best drop in batteries out there, Relion.

Best Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries | RELiON

A buddy has had them in his sailboat for a few months and the improvement over lead acid is amazing. Quicker charging, more AH, less generator time and fuel...

Reply #3
Nice stuff.  Single unit only?  Did I read the specs correctly.  Cannot be charged below 32 degrees or stored over 95 degrees.

Kept indoors? in moderate climate? seems like a nice power source

Reply #4
I would mount them inside the RV. I plan on putting my lithium bank where my trash compactor used to be.

Relion also has a cold weather battery with built in heaters that bring the battery up to a safe temperature before accepting a charge. Its...

Reply #5
An 8d with the heaters?  Is that the hp version?

Reply #6
Here is a thread on this topic over on the Wanderlodge board. It's real long and has some unrelated mods in it but VERY informative. Not to mention he has skills way above my pay grade.
TOM

1983 PT35 Project - modernification / restomod -...

Reply #7
Far as I know, I would NOT use a "drop in " LiFePo4 battery out there, unless things have changed in the last few months. You have to build the system around them. And at those prices, you don't want to mess around with them.  Almost any charger...

Reply #8
I have had mine for close to two years now.  I purchased two 200A Victron as a kit and set them up per AM Solar.   My system is operated with both the Multipass 3000 and the Victron 85 MPPT set for lithium.  Some observations;

Mine are literally...

• fouroureye
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
FROM THE BATTLE BORN WEB SITE AND NOW 10YR WARANTEE

NOTE: Charging with an existing lead acid charger or inverter charger that bulk charges at 13.6 volts is acceptable, however it will take longer than a specialized li-ion charging system. These...

Reply #10
Here's the cream of the crop when it comes to lithium, 600 amp hour Lithionics 8D and made in the USA. Internal optional heater and several other options. Lithionics has been in the lithium business for 8 years, built in Clearwater Florida. Any...

Reply #11
Sweet, though I imagine the price will have a bitter taste... No prices on the website, any idea how much for that bad boy? I would like about three, but I don't know if my kidneys would be worth that much :o
Don

Reply #12
I haven't kept up on lithium, but if I remember, they are affected by cold temps. Is that still the case. I would love lithium, but was afraid that our midwest winters would kill the battery pronto.

Larry

• fouroureye
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Battle Born 100ah(usable) - 10YR warrentee are $949 SHIPPED  ^.^d 

Isn't Tesla in the Reno, NV area....

I though I read they and AIMS are MILLITARY SUPPLIERS

Don, my concern would be all the cells in one 8d size Vs 100ah each in my case x 3

Any...

• fouroureye
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Larry, I share your concern.. when storing
Lithium has come a long way since Musk put in 2 major power installations  ASE, HI

Here is what I understand from the Web site and discussions...
1. FULL CHARGED
2. DISCONNECTED LOAD (BREAKER OFF)

Reply #15
Put me down for 3 Battleborns.  Probably will buy them sometime this winter but up for a discount!
Now if they would add a bluetooth individual cell monitoring system like LifeBlue does that would be awesome.
  • Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:41:25 am by folivier

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Lithionics is on eBay for 7500$ for 1 battery

Reply #17
Ebay add say about $1 per watt.  7500 watts at 12.5 volts is 600 amphr.  Higher $ than others but worth a look.  Less weight than 1 8D AGM.  Plus all the charging stuff and other bits.

Reply #18
You're right Don, they're not the cheapest in the industry that's for sure, but neither is FT. That 600AH with a 400 amp BMS is a about 9 CBs.

One should do you just fine unless you want to run the roof air all night. But then again, I've seen...

Reply #19
I'm using the quote link to reply but doesn't seem to be working, so I apologize for that everyone.

Folivier, the optional internal heater draws 30 watts @12v and uses an external toggle switch which will keep her warm all winter with a little...

Reply #20
Our Victron is 600 AH, say 480 usable. I would like to add an additional 300 AH in the future, possibly 600 if the price comes down.

Reply #21
400 has served us well but 600 would have meant less monitoring and conservation for our 270.  We do not have a residential.

The built in heaters are a real plus.  My biggest worry initially was an accidental charge below freezing.  AM Solar has...

Reply #22
The Battleborn & Lifeblue batteries both monitor temperature and shut down the batteries if temp. is above or below their set point.
On my U320 the battery compartment is next to the Aquahot compartment, so if I need to I'll cut a vent through...

Reply #23
Just got this from BattleBorn:
"The 10 year warrant is 8 year full replacement 2 year pro-rated."

This is in response about adding internal bluetooth monitoring to their batteries:
"We are working on new batteries, we are just not given any...

Reply #24
The Battleborn & Lifeblue batteries both monitor temperature and shut down the batteries if temp. is above or below their set point.
On my U320 the battery compartment is next to the Aquahot...