Skip to main content

Topic: Running Propane Devices On the Road (Read 1189 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Propane Devices On the Road
Maybe a dumb question but we obviously run down the road with propane firing our refrigerator.  But what about running down the road with propane water heater and/or furnace?  Can all propane devices be safely used underway?

Thanks 

Re: Running Propane Devices On the Road
Reply #1
Actually you shouldn't run any propane appliances while going down the road. Safer to have the propane shut off at the tank. As for the hot water, on our coach the hot water is heated by the engine coolant don't know if yours is set up the same...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #2
Only turn tank valve off when filling. Use all propane appliances when under way.

P

Reply #3
Many opinions on this topic, many don't trust gas fridges while parked or traveling.

Rv manufacturers will likely tell you that RV's are designed to run the gas appliances while traveling.

What do we do?  We run the refrigerator on gas the whole...

Reply #4
Your propane devices were designed to be used while both stationary and on the road.

Is it safer to not use them? Even turn propane off at the tank?  YES, but we are talking about those 1/100,000+ risk factors.

You have to evaluate the risk/reward...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
upgrade your coach to all electric and run the generator. Safer in some circles..

I think I might have read a story or maybe it was said st the fire late at night in a remote place I have never been.. went something like this..

my cousin vinny's...

Reply #6
I also run propane while driving.
I do have 2 safety devices built in by the Refrigerator compartment (out side)
One is an automatic (Heat sensor) Fire Extinguisher in the compartment where the heating element is (propane flame)
The second is  ARP...

Reply #7
Eric, which fire extinguisher are you using in the fridge compartment?

Reply #8
I have had mine for some time. The name is Fight Fire but the web site does not work.
I got mine from Mac the Fire Guy.  His website seems  not to be working.
I searched and found that West Marine lists some Automatic Discharge Fire Extinguishers.
FI...

Reply #9
Thank you Eric.

Reply #10
If not mistaken, the engine should heat the water while on the road.  Mine does.  If yours doesn't you might have valves shutting off the flow from the engine.
John M.

Reply #11
I have ordered the ARP Fridge Defend for our Dometic absorption refrigerator (as recommended by members on this forum) switching to a residential fridge just isn't a practical option for us as we boondock about 90% of the time. We operate ours on...

Reply #12
FT, installing a 12v muffin fan as part of your ARP unit, in the vent above the fridge really helps.

Reply #13
FT, installing a 12v muffin fan as part of your ARP unit, in the vent above the fridge really helps.

Jeff,
thanks...... I ordered the ARP unit that comes with fan control and one fan....... ^.^d

Reply #14
I have ordered the ARP Fridge Defend for our Dometic absorption refrigerator (as recommended by members on this forum).

So.......... hoping that the addition of this device along with do...

Reply #15
On the same subject, I always run my refer out of auto, in gas mode only until we park. Once on shore power, I put it on auto.I put it in auto, so I don't forget to switch back to LP. Or if the power goes out while gone.
In my opinion, whenever...

Reply #16
If I am not mistaken I think my refer compartment has a dual 110 volt plug in it.  One outlet is 110volt the other is inverter powered?

I suppose if I were driving in grades for that drive I could plug the refer in to the inverted  outlet and turn...

Reply #17

I suppose if I were driving in grades for that drive I could plug the refer in to the inverted  outlet and turn on the inverter to power the refer or with  a gang plug run both the refer...

Reply #18
I run my refrigerator on propane 24 x 7 no matter if I am on the road or not. Been doing it for 15 years in 2 coaches.

Reply #19
After the three strkes your out, is there a manual reset button i need to know about

Reply #20
No just turn the switch off and then back on and it will do the same 3 tries.

Reply #21
The amount of unlevel needed to form a bubble would seem to be quite a bit.  Maybe more than normal interstates?

I have had many ancient propane refers removed and laid on their side to move the bubble along.  Worked mostly.

Reply #22
The amount of unlevel needed to form a bubble would seem to be quite a bit.  Maybe more than normal interstates?

I have had many ancient propane refers removed and laid on their side to move...

• lew
  • [*]
Reply #23
The firefight products are at:

Fire Fight Products

larry whisler

Reply #24
I just discovered the Fridge Defender, when I was looking for a way to not only save the Fridge from Self Destructing, but all the Fires I see that were from Fridge related overheats!  Seems to me, this should be Installed as a Safety Measure,...