Skip to main content
Topic: Running Propane Devices On the Road (Read 1614 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Propane Devices On the Road

Maybe a dumb question but we obviously run down the road with propane firing our refrigerator.  But what about running down the road with propane water heater and/or furnace?  Can all propane devices be safely used underway?

Thanks 
Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Re: Running Propane Devices On the Road

Reply #1
Actually you shouldn't run any propane appliances while going down the road. Safer to have the propane shut off at the tank. As for the hot water, on our coach the hot water is heated by the engine coolant don't know if yours is set up the same way.

That being said that's not what I do. Propane keeps the refrigerator cool while going down the road. If it is so cold that I need extra heat in the coach I run my ventless heater. However if I am in that kind of cold I really screwed up. You may get as many views on this as there are Forum members. DWMYH.

Roland
1993 U280 4341
2010 Jeep Liberty
The Pied Pipers

Reply #2
Only turn tank valve off when filling. Use all propane appliances when under way.

P
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #3
Many opinions on this topic, many don't trust gas fridges while parked or traveling.

Rv manufacturers will likely tell you that RV's are designed to run the gas appliances while traveling.

What do we do?  We run the refrigerator on gas the whole time while traveling and the gas furnace if needed (seldom). I always make sure the gas water heater is turned off, it has trouble staying lit while camping if its a very windy day. So.... we don't leave it on while traveling and with the motoraide heat option ......... don't need to. 
My opinion.....worth what you just paid for it..... ;D

Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #4
Your propane devices were designed to be used while both stationary and on the road.

Is it safer to not use them? Even turn propane off at the tank?  YES, but we are talking about those 1/100,000+ risk factors.

You have to evaluate the risk/reward for yourself.

Likely you would be at higher risk of food poisoning from high refrigerator temperatures than a problem with the propane system.

Does anyone even recall an issue posted on the ForeForum about a problem caused by using a propane appliance while driving???
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #5
upgrade your coach to all electric and run the generator. Safer in some circles..

I think I might have read a story or maybe it was said st the fire late at night in a remote place I have never been.. went something like this..

my cousin vinny's uncles grandfather was walking his dog down the alley when he ran into a guys selling shoes.. he told him of his friends neighbors car that ran on water that had ran into a motor home that was all propane propulsion .. when the two collided there was a massive fire ball that gave everyone a suntan in the middle of the night.

Run the propane !!

Reply #6
I also run propane while driving.
I do have 2 safety devices built in by the Refrigerator compartment (out side)
One is an automatic (Heat sensor) Fire Extinguisher in the compartment where the heating element is (propane flame)
The second is  ARP device that will shut the refrigerator element (electric or propane) off if gets too hot. (it will turn back on when unit cools) Such as off level etc.
Get the Fridge Defend - be COOL be SAFE!
Eric & Nancy
1999 36 Ft. U320 WTFE
2016 GMC Terrain

Reply #7
Eric, which fire extinguisher are you using in the fridge compartment?
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #8
I have had mine for some time. The name is Fight Fire but the web site does not work.
I got mine from Mac the Fire Guy.  His website seems  not to be working.
I searched and found that West Marine lists some Automatic Discharge Fire Extinguishers.
FIREBOY-XINTEX CG2 Automatic Discharge Fire Extinguishers | West Marine
Also I searched and found some on ebay.
Halon Ss-30 Fire Extinguisher Automatically Deploy 90 Degree Head | eBay
 More expensive than when I bought mine. But mine was marked SS30 Fire Extinguisher with Halon 1211
Halon Ss-30 Fire Extinguisher Automatically Deploy 90 Degree Head
Eric & Nancy
1999 36 Ft. U320 WTFE
2016 GMC Terrain

Reply #9
Thank you Eric.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #10
If not mistaken, the engine should heat the water while on the road.  Mine does.  If yours doesn't you might have valves shutting off the flow from the engine.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #11
I have ordered the ARP Fridge Defend for our Dometic absorption refrigerator (as recommended by members on this forum) switching to a residential fridge just isn't a practical option for us as we boondock about 90% of the time. We operate ours on propane from the time we leave on a trip until we plug back in to shore power when we return home. I do use the HWH level every time we stop even if at a rest area for a few minutes. unfortunately the HWH doesn't keep us level while traveling .... ??? ..... (maybe HWH should work on this in their next revision)  ^.^d 

So.......... hoping that the addition of this device along with do diligence to keep the fridge level and clear of any obstructions to the air flow in the flume, will result in one less worry while using a propane appliance while traveling.
Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins

Reply #12
FT, installing a 12v muffin fan as part of your ARP unit, in the vent above the fridge really helps.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #13
FT, installing a 12v muffin fan as part of your ARP unit, in the vent above the fridge really helps.

Jeff,
thanks...... I ordered the ARP unit that comes with fan control and one fan....... ^.^d

Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins

Reply #14
I have ordered the ARP Fridge Defend for our Dometic absorption refrigerator (as recommended by members on this forum).

So.......... hoping that the addition of this device along with do diligence to keep the fridge level and clear of any obstructions to the air flow in the flume, will result in one less worry while using a propane appliance while traveling.

Your ARP device will be a huge help in confining refrigerator operation to "only on level".  What it does for a living is sense when boiler temperature rises (due to out of level) and temporarily turns it off.  Back on when temperature drops.

People keep thinking that "out of level" just applies to while parked.  It also applies to while driving!  Climb one of those 4-5% grades out west for a number of miles, with the refrigerator on and you ARE operating out of level.  It does not take long when operating out of level for boiler temperatures to soar.

At the product demonstration for ARP he has a cooling unit with temperature probe on it.  He turns it on-- level.  You can see boiler temperature on the screen behind him.  He then puts a small board under one side to simulate out of level operation.  You can watch the temperature shoot up.  Engage on the ARP device and watch as it switches on/off/on to control boiler temperature.

Since high boiler temperature is what leads to clogged tubes and slowly kills the cooling ability, this one is a no-brainer.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #15
On the same subject, I always run my refer out of auto, in gas mode only until we park. Once on shore power, I put it on auto.I put it in auto, so I don't forget to switch back to LP. Or if the power goes out while gone.
In my opinion, whenever one starts the gen set, it makes the refer switch to AC, then when you shut the gen off, the refer has that slight moment when the voltage drops. just the fact that I am making it switch back and forth for no reason bothers me.Control boards are temperamental and expensive.

Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #16
If I am not mistaken I think my refer compartment has a dual 110 volt plug in it.  One outlet is 110volt the other is inverter powered?

I suppose if I were driving in grades for that drive I could plug the refer in to the inverted  outlet and turn on the inverter to power the refer or with  a gang plug run both the refer and the ice maker compressor on our Dometic  rm7832?

Versus ,44 gallons of diesel fuel used per hour.  Maintenance and noise and smell.

Anyone know the power used.  I think the refer has two 230 watt elements.  Not sure of the ice maker side.

I think the oem power panel shows the amps used.  If no other loads were present I would think that most of the Amps used would be the refer?

With my future additonal solar I might be able to basically run the refer off the batteries and solar.  Anyone used a Dometic this way?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #17

I suppose if I were driving in grades for that drive I could plug the refer in to the inverted  outlet and turn on the inverter to power the refer or with  a gang plug run both the refer and the ice maker compressor on our Dometic  rm7832?

Bob
That is still going to create the same heat as a flame. So that is not going to solve anything.

Per Dometic when I went to school (I asked this very question). It is not the heat that causes the issue, it's the bubbles in the ammonia (called "lock up") . This is caused by running the refer out of level while sitting still. Once the bubbles happen, the over heating happens.

When traveling, the constant movement stops the bubbles from creating.

There is no worry running a refer on LP while moving. It has a "three strikes your out" control board. If it doesn't relight after three tries, the board goes in lock out, and the gas valve is shut off. Same with your W/H,and heater

Chris

Reply #18
I run my refrigerator on propane 24 x 7 no matter if I am on the road or not. Been doing it for 15 years in 2 coaches.
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid

Reply #19
After the three strkes your out, is there a manual reset button i need to know about
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #20
No just turn the switch off and then back on and it will do the same 3 tries.
previous 1984 35 ft ORED 250 HP 3208 Cat       
previous 1998 40 ft U295 CAI 325 hp Cummins
previous 2003 40 Ft u320 build #6140 450 Cummins M11.                                                         
1999 Mazda Miata
Ron, Nancy, Tipper the cat, Max The dog
1997 U 270 36 ft build number 5174 8.3 Cummins

Reply #21
The amount of unlevel needed to form a bubble would seem to be quite a bit.  Maybe more than normal interstates?

I have had many ancient propane refers removed and laid on their side to move the bubble along.  Worked mostly.

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #22
The amount of unlevel needed to form a bubble would seem to be quite a bit.  Maybe more than normal interstates?

I have had many ancient propane refers removed and laid on their side to move the bubble along.  Worked mostly.

Yup, rolled a few on their side, then top, then back for a week. Started working again

Reply #23
The firefight products are at:

Fire Fight Products

larry whisler

Reply #24

I just discovered the Fridge Defender, when I was looking for a way to not only save the Fridge from Self Destructing, but all the Fires I see that were from Fridge related overheats!  Seems to me, this should be Installed as a Safety Measure, Period!  The price is a Little Salty, but so is the lack of such a device!  It sure is a very good product, from what I see, and I'll be ordering one, if I cannot figure a Cheaper, yet as effective alternative! 

I was on the track of using a device, such as this for a mere $31.00, that MAY do the same function, if I could find one that could operate in 12Vdc, mode?  That would control both the AC and Gas Operation mode as well! Knowing the Proper Parameters, is also, needed, too!  The Fridge Defender, does that, of course, but at a Premium.  I may just spring for it, if an alternative isn't located?
DIGITEN Digital Thermostat Outlet Controller Switch Simple-Stage Plug LCD...

I didn't see anyone post a link to the Fridge Defender, so here it is!  So much info, and Vids, and a well constructed website, but Enormous info!
Get the Fridge Defend - be COOL be SAFE!

Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!