Skip to main content

Topic: Abandoning Water Hookups in Favor of Pump (Read 1197 times) previous topic - next topic

Abandoning Water Hookups in Favor of Pump
In nearly 2 years here I've seen many who don't use campground water hookups in favor of running the water pump off the internal water tank.  Given our big water tanks this doesn't seem that inconvenient.  And, using the water pump makes...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Abandoning Water Hookups in Favor of Pump
Reply #1
A.  Do those of you who've installed a direct fill do you fill the tank this way 100% of the time?

B.  What is the lifetime of a water pump in regular use like this?

C.  Do you carry a...

Reply #2
The PO of our coach installed a 2nd pump next to the original with a valve on each.  I added a 2 way switch to make it easier to switch over if needed.
We've always used the water tank rather than hooking up to campground water.  Well at least we...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
I just installed my direct fill, used it 8 or 10 times. It's much quicker than pushing water through all the piping then into the bottom of the tank. I changed the OEM pump about 6 years ago, replaced it with the same one Sureflo, no problem. As...

Reply #4
Almost 18 years on the original water pump, I have a spare in my spare parts bin.  I use the direct fill a couple times a year especially at home.  Time to fill is cut in half.  But my auto fill shutoff when the tank is full only works when using...

Reply #5
I will be adding a quick fill to the tank vent fittings, keeps cycling clorinated water thru the tank to reduce the chance of contanination growth in the main tank, help keeps from overflow from your holding tanks, keeps your pump exercised ...

Reply #6
Where can you get a quick fill to add on to tank? Would love to have the option. It currently is taking nearly an hour to fill tank through the normal fill. I suspect that somewhere there is a calcium build up since the coach sat for over a year...

Reply #7

A. We don't have a quick fill as all our water that goes on board is filtered and softened.  The softerner can't do its job at large flow rates. Even at that we still acid wash our system with vinegar to clean out any calcium buildup.

B. Ours is...

Reply #8
Where can you get a quick fill to add on to tank?
You make it.  Several prior threads on this subject, such as:

Water Tank Gravity Fill

Water Tank Fill

What did you do to your coach today VII

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Larry here's how I did mine. 3/4 uniseal from Amazon, 11/4 hole saw,  3/4 valve and fittings, pipe ,  strap,  and a piece of aluminum flat bar from big box store.

Reply #10
Reasons to do just that-- use CG water only to fill the tank, then pump for your potable water needs:

Keeps a new leak from turning into a catastrophic disaster.  Ya, every once in a while you will see water running out the front door of a coach--...

Reply #11
Chuck and Bruce, thanks. I have this bookmarked. I'm sure it will be one of those things to get done this winter. Would right now, but preparing for first "official" trip to Tablerock Lake this week. ^.^d  ^.^d

Larry

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Our practice is to fill the fresh water tank with water from the house--if a short trip--CG or RV park water if long sojourn, and potable drinking water from one gallon jugs we bring along or purchase when needed.
The toilet, bathroom sink, and...

Reply #13
Pumps last forever. I personally don't like the sound of the pump running in the middle of the night. Our 97 has the manual fill valve under the bath sink, so it fills fast. I remember though how slow the electric ones filled while doing PDI's.
I...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
We have both original "hose on a reel" fill and added-on quick fill.  I use whichever is most convenient.

I also have a water hose reel (original from Bob's coach (Paul Smith's), thanks, Bob). For my direct fill, I plumbed the reel output...

Reply #15
Eighteen years of full-time living and traveling in our Foretravel, we have never used city water pressure to supply our faucets. Our city water inlet is capped with a plastic garden hose male-threaded cap and has not been removed in the 18...

Reply #16
We have a water hose reel and a direct top of the tank  fill plumbed in. We always use the tank. It's pex plumbed with a valve that allows me to send shore water to the tank, or to bypass the fill and send it right to the water lines. I don't use...

Reply #17
Some parks have high pressure, low volume. Some have low volume  high pressure. We like lots of pressure when taking showers.
All though our new Surflow pump has around 50 PSI, I use a Campco adjustable regulator with gauge. I find in parks with...

Reply #18
Water pumps are very quiet if installed with flexible in and out hose connections, and placing pump on thick piece of foam. We do not hear our water pump.

Reply #19
Water pumps are very quiet if installed with flexible in and out hose connections, and placing pump on thick piece of foam. We do not hear our water pump.

I agree, we did all that. What...

Reply #20
Running with a full tank of water and empty holding tanks gives us the comfort knowing no matter what happens, we don't have to worry about being stuck on the 'side of the road'. Never know what is in store after we leave a campground. And even...

Reply #21
Running with a full tank of water and empty holding tanks gives us the comfort knowing no matter what happens, we don't have to worry about being stuck on the 'side of the road'. Never...

Reply #22
I also have a water hose reel (original from Bob's coach (Paul Smith's), thanks, Bob). For my direct fill, I plumbed the reel output directly to the tank so I can always use the reel hose when...

Reply #23
And now is the day, or soon. Problem is my bay is to short by 2 inches to mount the glendinning Crr50 side by side with the water reel. If I put it on the back, it just fits but not sure I can use it that way. Tried calling them but to late. Will...

Reply #24
Stager them by shoving the water wheel back further. That's what I had to do.  The water reel is shorter than the electric reel.