Skip to main content
Topic: Headlights differences for 2000 U320's (Read 1789 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlights differences for 2000 U320's

Hello, new to the forum.  About to take the plunge on a 2000 U320 4010.

I noticed that there are 2000's that have different style headlights/front end caps.  Are there any major pro's/con's to these?  The model we are considering using the low mounted rectangle lights that I've read are sourced from the Ford Bronco of that year.  I've also read they are dim and there are modifications to voltage.

Is this correct, and if so, can one switch from this style to the more modern style?  Any recommendation and idea of a cost if upgrades are an option?

Looking forward my future road travels.  Thanks in advance for advice.
Charlie and Jennifer Sawyer, et. al.
2000 U320 M-4010 #5625
2015 Rubicon

Re: Headlights differences for 2000 U320's

Reply #1
There was only one style by the factory when they were made.  The changes you see are from the upgrades that James Stallings designed over at Xtreme Paint and Graphics. They put out a lot more light and make night driving so much easier. You can get yours modified for about 3K or so.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #2
Welcome to the Forum, ITguy!  Headlight conversions are cool.  Read all about it:

Xtreme Paint & Graphics Home
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #3
Here's another:  Headlights: Attaining Enlightenment

Glen
Glen & Suzie
1998 U320 36'
Build #5366
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2015 ATC Aluminum 20' Trailer
Previous 1996 U295 40'
Motorcade #17546
Stephenville, TX

Reply #4
Thanks for putting me on the path.  That makes sense now... if they are not Ford lights they are basically custom... got it.
Starting research mode now..
Charlie and Jennifer Sawyer, et. al.
2000 U320 M-4010 #5625
2015 Rubicon

Reply #5
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your search for a U320. Lots of good info here.. Mine has the conversion...
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #6

If you are handy, you can do a conversion yourself using the stock headlight buckets and modifying them to accept 5x7 glass lights utilizing an H4 light bulb.  Lots of fabrication involved, and it's not a completely finished product, but the results are terrific. 

Headlights: Amazon.com: Nokya H6054 Sealed Beam Headlight Conversion 7X6" (200mm) H4... 

Clear, real glass, high quality sealed beam headlight conversion.  $84/pair, you need two pairs = $168

Headlight Buckets: 31444 by UNITED PACIFIC - 5" x 7" Headlight Bucket

$32 each, you need four total = $128

Headlight Bezels - take your pick (these are cheap plastic chrome units):

a) 41112 by UNITED PACIFIC - Chrome Single 6" x 8" Headlight Bezel
b) 32371 by UNITED PACIFIC - 10 LED Single Headlight Bezel w/ Visor - Amber...

2000 U320 4010

Reply #7
The first step is to remove your stock headlights.  The inner light on each size is separate, the outer light is attached to the same bucket that the turn signal is attached to.  Take everything out and remove the marker light.  Remove the beige light bucket from the black mounting bucket.

You will need an electric heat gun.  Heat the edges of the lense to melt the adheasive and work your way around the lens to remove from the housing.  This is not an easy process, and your are going to ding up the housing and likely your hands with the screw drivers that you use for this process.  There may be an easier way that using heat and force, but I'm impatient. 

2000 U320 4010

Reply #8
Next, use a dremmel to cut out the bucket, following the factory lines as shown here.  Take your time.  Undercut if you want and whittle away periodically test fitting the new 5x7 headlight bucket in from the front. 
2000 U320 4010

Reply #9
Once the headlight bucket fits in the modified housing, you need to make a backing plate.  I made mine out of 3/4" plywood.  Eventually I will remake them out of a sheet of plastic, but this suffices for now.  I traced the back of the bucket to create the inside cut profile, and traced the face of the bucket to create the outside cut profile and cut the wood out with a jig saw.  Transfer the holes from the bucket to the wood when you trace the face.  You have to do some trimming and sanding on the backing rings to make them fit right due to the three uprights you can see in the photos from the back side. 

2000 U320 4010

Reply #10
Install the new glass headlight housing into the bucket, and re-install the stock housing onto the mounting bucket and re-install onto the coach. 

I admit, my explanation is overly simplified.  I think I have probably two full weekends into the fabrication, and I have 6 hours (yes, 6) into adjusting the headlights properly.  It was time and money well spent. 

2000 U320 4010

Reply #11

You will need to buy some electrical adapters.  These 9007 to H4 adapters have the right plugs, but you need to depin them and swap the position of the wires to match with the 9004 wiring of our stock head lights.  I will say, these plugs are garbage, but they worked for me in the short term.  I am on the search for a better option for plug adapters.

Amazon.com: 2PCS Vplus 9007 Male to H4 Female Adapter Headlight Conversion...

Here are the headlights I used, color is great and they match the stock wattage:

Amazon.com: Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs (Pack of 2) (H4...

2000 U320 4010

Reply #12
Low Beams:
2000 U320 4010

Reply #13
High Beams:
2000 U320 4010

Reply #14
Future upgrades include re-wiring the lights so that all four low beams are on at the same time, and then adding relays to power the lights so they aren't powered through the switch.  I'll get some finished photos over the weekend, apparently I forgot to take daylight finished photos after completing the install over the Christmas holiday.
2000 U320 4010

Reply #15
Evan, thanks for posting...thumbs up on your ingenuity and perseverance with this mod.  I'd considered the same route as I like the aggressive stance of the original low slung lights.  I will probably attempt this when I get time this summer.  Woody.

Be advised that I wired my lights 4-on lows and was flashed incessantly by oncoming drivers.  It's their perception that you have high beams on, more than brightness I think.  Switched back to outer lows only and no more flashing.

Future upgrades include re-wiring the lights so that all four low beams are on at the same time, and then adding relays to power the lights so they aren't powered through the switch.  I'll get some finished photos over the weekend, apparently I forgot to take daylight finished photos after completing the install over the Christmas holiday.
2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #16
Evan, thanks for posting...thumbs up on your ingenuity and perseverance with this mod.  I'd considered the same route as I like the aggressive stance of the original low slung lights.  I will probably attempt this when I get time this summer.  Woody.

Be advised that I wired my lights 4-on lows and was flashed incessantly by oncoming drivers.  It's their perception that you have high beams on, more than brightness I think.  Switched back to outer lows only and no more flashing.

I just can't see spending $3500 plus travel and time for the Xtreme upgrade.  It looks fantastic, but this solution likely provides more light at a FRACTION of the cost.  I've considered designing a retrofit kit to make this less of a DIY upgrade, but I just don't have the time to develop and support a product with my personal and professional obligations. 

This project will test your patience.  You will get lots of dirt in your eyes fussing with removal and re installation lying under the coach.  The passenger side is much more difficult due to all of the wiring and plumbing routed behind the headlights up through the floor behind the relay board under the dash.  It was a bit easier for me as I have removed/rerouted a significant volume of those wires and removed the AC hoses completely (dash AC was worthless and a waste of space and money to repair/maintain so it went into the garbage). 

I don't think I'll have any issues with the 4-low mod.  These housings have a very distinct cutoff line as you can see in the above photos, so as long as the lights are pointed in the correct direction, they should not bring any unnecessary flashing from oncoming traffic.  I think the factory headlights are waaaaaayyy off as far as adjustments go.  Just by visual observation, it appears both sides were pointed way out towards the ditch instead of straight ahead.  I just don't think they have enough distance or throw and have too much scatter to make it obvious they are so far out of adjustment.

2000 U320 4010

Reply #17
 Well done on the conversion  Even,  The Ford truck lights  are dim  due to running all power through the switch as you point out.  Adding a second switch or a relay  will improve them even more.  Googlelate Ford headlights.

Is there not a projector LED deal to fit those buckets?  I took out my H4 lights and added focused  LED .  It made the H4 look like they were off .  Plus the LED should reduce the switch draw . No need to run all 4 either . 

Reply #18
Think the lights are from a 92 Bronco,go to carid.com and put in the Bronco,you'll get lots of choices,have dealt with them,good
prices and fast shipping.Another choice would be Nilight.com,good quality led lights,you buy direct from them.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #19
Well done on the conversion  Even,  The Ford truck lights  are dim  due to running all power through the switch as you point out.  Adding a second switch or a relay  will improve them even more.  Googlelate Ford headlights.

Is there not a projector LED deal to fit those buckets?  I took out my H4 lights and added focused  LED .  It made the H4 look like they were off .  Plus the LED should reduce the switch draw . No need to run all 4 either . 

ONE reason the ford truck lights are dim in our application is due to voltage drop of the electrical circuit.  ANOTHER reason is the headlights are 1990's technology and the optics are just poor.  The LED bulb upgrade is an easy upgrade, but you still have a crappy lens in front of that bulb that scatters the light everywhere.  The headlight housings and optics I used are designed to work with an H4 bulb and provides a proper cutoff, keeping light out of on-commers eyes. 

When I get the all four low beam mod complete, I'll post a photo.  It will be a huge difference.  There is a distinct dark spot at night in the center of the two beams.  The four-low mod will eliminate it.

2000 U320 4010

Reply #20

Lots of

Also, not sure what exactly you meant by projector LED - a true projector headlight can be made to fit in the glass headlights that I used, but the cost is upwards of $350-$500 per pair for the retrofit.  Not worth the cost to me. 

Just putting an LED bulb in the stock housings is NOT considered a projector headlight, as the optics of the stock lens do not work with a projector assembly.  Hope this makes sense. 
2000 U320 4010

Reply #21
Think the lights are from a 92 Bronco,go to carid.com and put in the Bronco,you'll get lots of choices,have dealt with them,good
prices and fast shipping.Another choice would be Nilight.com,good quality led lights,you buy direct from them.

Yes, the original lights are from a Bronco, but not the 92 model.  The model years are 87-91.  I didn't have any issues finding stock replacements.  Replacing them would have been an easy option, and would have provided a much clearer lens and more light than I had previously, but the optics are still very poor.  The cost for new lights would have been the same (or more) as what I have into the upgrades, but would have been far less labor intensive.  Also, I would only buy NOS (new old stock) housings on EBAY for replacing the original headlights if that was the route I went.  Anything you buy from carid.com or similar sites (amazon, ebay, RockAuto) are going to be garbage chinese re-makes that are likely to deteriorate very quickly.. 
2000 U320 4010

Reply #22
Right on using an LED inside the stock housing/reflector . I was talking about the entire light .

Something like this;[LED DRL] FOR 1992-1996 FORD F150/F250/F350 BLACK AMBER BUMPER HEADLIGHTS/LAM...
 Or this ;92-96 FORD BRONCO F150/250/350 PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS BLACK HALO LED HEAD...

Reply #23

Unfortunately those are not the correct housing.  Our headlights are off of an 87-91 model bronco, not the 92-96, and from all of my research, no aftermarket projector options are out there for our style of headlight otherwise that would have been the easy solution. 
2000 U320 4010

Reply #24
Agree on the Chinese junk,try the Nilight,it's Chinese but higher quality junk.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.