Skip to main content
Topic: Power Tech generator muffler replacement options? (Read 1068 times) previous topic - next topic

Power Tech generator muffler replacement options?

Has anyone figured out less costly way of replacing a Power Tech generator muffler than the $$ OEM replacement?  I've seen several past posts regarding replacing the muffler but nothing specific enough to list parts.

I have a Power Tech 10K with Kubota engine.  The junction between the flexible pipe and the muffler outlet failed and the fittings are too rusty to fool with so I'm looking to replace rather than attempt repair.  Have the original "pancake" muffler.
Larry Rubin
2004 U295 38' build 6278
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Re: Power Tech generator muffler replacement options?

Reply #1
I replaced the exhaust pipe without a muffler when the old one rusted out. No noticeable increase in noise.
Jon Ohman
2001 U320 36'
Build #5809

Reply #2
Do they make a small resonator that would fit?
Vroom.

Reply #3
How about a cherrybomb?
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #4
Larry, have you looked at places like Northern Tool?
Small Engine Mufflers | Northern Tool + Equipment
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire (4523)
Cummins ISM 450HP
Allison 4000 MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Reply #6
I have a Power Tech 10K with Kubota engine.  The junction between the flexible pipe and the muffler outlet failed and the fittings are too rusty to fool with so I'm looking to replace rather than attempt repair.
I had a similar problem. My flexible pipe separated from the fixed pipe that goes to the muffler. I am looking for some kind of coupler that I can use to connect the two 2"  OD pipes. Went to  two auto parts stores, a car dealership, a plumber supply place (they had a nice rubber coupler with a screw clamp on both ends; probably would fail from the exhaust heat), and finally a muffler/exhaust shop. He did not have any ready-made couplers, but he said that if I brought my RV to him, he could connect them up.

Called Jame Triana. He said the OEM part uses a flange with two bolts to pull them together (if I understood his explanation properly (I was driving in my car when he called back, so conversation was not ideal).

I wanted something I could remove to pull my generator forward, but am running out of time for my four-month trip, which is supposed to start tomorrow. My current plans are to use some aluminum tape to hold the two in place while I wrap fiberglass from a fiberglass repair kit around the two. The tape will only hold it in place; the fiberglass will hold it a whole lot longer.

Any better ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,,

Trent

Trent and Jean Eyler
2000  U295  4003  WTFE  ISC  350
Build#5603 MC#17385

Reply #7
You might try a Kubota tractor store. My tire and muffler folks  could build anything I've needed for boats in the past. Then I wrap them in fiberglass insulation and fiberglass fabric to isolate heat. A few coat hangers and a torch will fix most mufflers.

Wantabe

Reply #8
2" EXHAUST PIPE COUPLER JOINER ALL 2 INCH PIPE *NO WELDING* STEEL | eBay
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean