Skip to main content
Topic: 86 Norcold Freezer Drain (Read 403 times) previous topic - next topic

86 Norcold Freezer Drain

We left a 20lb bag of ice in the freezer portion of the Norcold Refrigerator.. Original Equipment.  We do not see any way to drain the water...  yes we can use a small wet vac.. but next time.. is there any drain hole.. we looked outside in the exterior compressor area but do not see anyway UP to the freezer or cooler area to drain...
1986 Grand Villa, 454 Chevrolet, 33 SBI tag axle
Build # 2658
2nd owner, original owner was Newman/Freeman Racing, racer Bill Freeman and actor/racer Paul Newman

Re: 86 Norcold Freezer Drain

Reply #1
No, only the refrigerator portion has a drain.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
I have a Norcold N841 and the only drain I am aware of is right below the fins in the refrigerator part.
Ice does form on those fins but it won't build up because every 2 days the control board allows the inside temperature to go up to just over 40 degrees. That melts any ice on the fins and it goes down that drain.
It took me a long time to figure out why the refrigerator warmed up every 2 days. A Norcold factory tech told me to get a rubber hammer and bang on the cooling unit.
This every-other-day-shutdown was a real PITA in hot weather because the inside temperature would go as high as 50 or even more. The trick is to shut the refrigerator off for 30 seconds to restart the clock.   
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid

Reply #3
If all else fails, try a sponge.
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD