Skip to main content
Topic: Persistent Pump Light Problem (Read 797 times) previous topic - next topic

Persistent Pump Light Problem

OK. I'll "'fess up,"....I filled my fresh water tank with the " fill button", even though I have installed a gravity fill......just " because "....
When it was full, I shut off the city water, but FORGOT to turn off the fill switch. Sometime later that day, we noticed a new " noise " coming from the coach. I explored the outside, and, of course, it was caused by my error, and our use of the pump.
I thought all was well....lesson learned.....or so it seemed. We are using the fresh water tank, in lieu of direct city water, as discussed, at length in other discussions. I agree with the mentality. Trouble is.....I can't seem to turn the pump switch " off " at any location: outside at the fill, inside at the lav or at the kitchen sink. I am bracing myself for the response to this dilemma. I tried to search this, but I am impatient today. Thanks team .
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Re: Persistent Pump Light Problem

Reply #1
I wonder if it could be the latching relay for the fill switches. Here's a photo of the one on our 99. It was located behind the fiberglass cover in the joey bed compartment.
jor

Reply #2
Glenn,

Sounds like the latching relay that controls that circuit is stuck or dead. Your should be hid in the basement on the 12VDC breaker panel.  This is behind the white removable fiberglass cover.  It should be on one of the basement walls on the drivers side of the coach.
There are different styles as some are solid state and some are mechanical. If manual there is a actuator button on the top of the relay that you can manually push to either jar it loose or put it back in time with the switches by pushing this button.

If it is like jor posted as the solid state there is no button. If this is the case then you may have 1 of your switches that is hung closed.
Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #3
Sounds like the water pump latching relay is stuck ON.

Try a short, light rap on it-- perhaps the handle of a screwdriver.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #4
My fill valve electrically  stuck open.  Removed power.  It closed.  Guru buddy mentioned an upgraded relay from Foretravel?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #5
While there could be a problem with the fill valve, relay or wiring, it would be unrelated to "can't turn off pump"

Agree if fill valve is open, the pump would run.  But NOT if one turned off the pump.

Again, I would start with the pump latching relay as the cause of "can't turn off pump".
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #6
On my coach I had the same issue.  The the fill switch outside was stuck and the pump kept cycling.  If you turn off the salesman switch it will release the latching relay and turn off the fill valve.  Then I would start with the outside fill switch.  Try to start the fill cycle, if it doesn't start, that is your bad switch. If it starts but doesn't turn off, reset the salesman switch. Do this on all of your switches till you find the bad switch that is stuck.  In my case it was the outside switch. You can follow the same procedure for your pump.

I ordered the replacement switch from Mouser Electronics.  Here you go.
RD221-MB-B-0-N Carling Technologies | Mouser

John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #7
Thanks for all the help....I'll get on it tomorrow.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #8
I hit the salesmen switch on and off. The lights on the pump switches turned off......BUT would NOT turn back on.
After a minor panic attack, I went outside to the water bay. After shooing off a huge spider, I noticed that the switch was neither on nor off. I hit it and.....all is good, at least for now. I gave the switch a shot of WD-40. I can now turn the inside switches on and off. I will keep my eye on on the outside switch. Thanks for the responses.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #9
Glenn, find a few spare momentary switches for when the lube doesn't work the next time.  They are harder to find than normal on/off switches.  I replaced a couple of my water pump switches with a momentary pushbutton switch so I have a spare. 

Reply #10
Please let me know where I can get some. Thanks. will do. Are the switches that John mentioned above , not as good?? Or just a different kind of switch??
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #11
Please let me know where I can get some. Thanks. will do. Are the switches that John mentioned above , not as good?? Or just a different kind of switch??
I have 2.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #12
The pump and fill solenoid switches are momentary contact switches.  The provide a quick path to ground for the latching relay.  This causes the relay to latch or release.  Be sure to get the part number right on the above link to get a momentary contact switch. It looks like the correct  one.

Reply #13
Please let me know where I can get some. 
Are the switches that John mentioned above , not as good?? Or just a different kind of switch??
Glenn,
John linked to Mouser here is 2 more links to other electrical supply companies that we regularly get parts from and are good to work with  and have them in stock. I like Allied as there warehouse is close by and has a walk up counter.
Carling Technologies - RD221-MB-B-0-N - Switch; Rocker; SPST; Off None (On);...
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=RD221-MB-B-0-N
The switches  mentioned should be OEM for your coach and are well built.

If you like the push button style like Roger has they are also available from these 3 electronic supply companies. I will look up a part number and post it unless Roger beats me to it.

Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #14
I tried the pushbutton switches because they are different shape and color from the other switches and let us push the button when hands are wet without fumbling around trying find the switch while water runs down the side of the cabinet.  So far we like them.  The switches I used fit on the hole without modifying the plate.  I am looking for ones with a bigger button.

Reply #15
Thanks, guys.....appreciated !!
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #16

Roger,
This might fit the bill as we have had good luck with these.
PR144C1900 E-Switch | Switches | DigiKey

@ Glenn,
If you are looking for something small like Roger has take a look at these
07-21 Grayhill Inc. | Switches | DigiKey

If you want you can go into there site and change the filters and find others that will fit the bill.  I am old school as I have a hard copy wish book from several supply companies. I find what I need and part number and go from there.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #17
Thanks Mike, I found the bigger ones earlier and ordered three. 

All of my pump switches trigger a timer circuit that when the time runs out grounds the latching relay turning off power to the pump.  If you press the button during the timing cycle the timer is reset and starts again.  No chance of leaving the water pump on when we are away or at night.

Water Pump Timer Automatically Switches Pump Off