Skip to main content
Topic: Foretravel motorcade change (Read 3440 times) previous topic - next topic

Foretravel motorcade change

Could see this coming but still saddens us.
Bill & Jan Velting
1998 U320 36'    2014 Xtreme facelift
build #5339  MC#17207
current toad: 2014 Cadillac SRX

Re: Foretravel motorcade change

Reply #1
Sounds like the club needs to get James Triana under contract asap.

Reply #2
I read this with much concern. I have been the owner of my foretravel for a year now and I remember at the time how fortunate I felt, not only because there was quality built into my unit but because I was now part of the foretravel family. My parents also had a foretravel and I always thought how great the motorcade club was, that was a major factor in looking at foretravel when it came time that I could buy an rv...honestly never thought I could afford one, felt fantastic. Since we bought our rig we have gone to two rally's and look forward to more, eventually when we retire we are hoping to do a few motorcades too. But with foretravel moving out of the picture, that seems doubtful. Make no mistake, without foretravel support the likelihood of a future is in doubt. I love the great magazine, comb over it with every issue and plan on which events we will be able to attend with our limited time off. The day the magazine arrives is so exciting to us...we can look it over and get excited about meeting new friends. I assume foretravel watches this board, so I have this to say. I think the new IC-37 is a great step looking forward. I am sure you will sell many, that is what was needed, a shorter coach that is a little less overwhelming to drive and at more friendly price point to boot. Perhaps you could  evaluate how much the motorcade really costs you and the dues structure could be made to accommodate. But I would not be surprised if the loyalty to the brand is not more closely related to the motorcade club than you realize.
Just my 2 cents, windwalker
98 U295 36'
92 Grand Villa 29' front engine gas-Sold
Motorcade 18100

Reply #3
I am sitting here looking at my renewal check going in the mail today.  Maybe I should just tear it up, >:(

jk
Jack and Cathy
1992 U280 Unihome 36' Build #4034
Cummins 8.3 /  Allison MT647/ PacBrake
Apopka, FL / Barre Center, NY

Reply #4
First off, I agree with the comments that windwalker made. After reading the letter a couple of times, I don't see where the nuts and bolts of the motorcade club are any different from how it's been in the past. Just my thought.
The selected media item is not currently available.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
2021 Chevrolet Silverado pickup
Motorcader  17257

Reply #5
Dropped it last year. Didn't see the need for it.
This forum does more for me personally.
But still a strong FT supporter
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #6
The 10% discount on parts at FT has paid for my subscription twice over just in the past 2 months. 
2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #7
There is a lot that can be read into Read's letter.. Years ago, I saw a similar move made by Airstream Inc. eventually severing all club support relations with the membership. The result overtime saw the creation of an independent Airstream Club with name changes, permanent staff, monthly magazines, yearly election of officers, a Club office building, etc. This may be the road Foretravel Inc. may travel. This is not all bad & from my experience a good working relationship can be maintained but I would forecast the Company support will dwindle with time & the Club will struggle to stay afloat.
I am a rather new comer to Foretravel & a Motorcader club member & frankly benefited several times from membership. But outside the 10% discount, ( Only good through the factory, not the Foretravel endorsed 6 satellite service centers which I learned the hard way)  there appears nominal benefit to me even as a Chapter Officer. Don't miss read me, the Motorcader club staff does a phenomenal job and Mr. T has saved my butt several times.
I guess where I am going with this is a question to Mr. Read; Where do I send my 2019 dues since one of the two company supported club management corner stones is being dropped by the Foretravel - namely Financial, and what might that dues be?? So, a second question to our National Officers; what is the membership's next step ???

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,

Lou
I have a 2003 36' U295, 27,000 owned for 17 months. This is my 1st & last.  Like to meet other owners.VP of 4 Corner Chapter MotorCader especially in CO. In learning process looking for qyality, knowledgeable service center. Also, spend winters in Goodyear, AZ Contact at LRDECAROL@AOL.COM.

Reply #8
There has to be a business reason such as insurance or something else driving this since it looks like FOT is going to stay involved, just not the owner of the club.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #9
The 10% discount on parts at FT has paid for my subscription twice over just in the past 2 months.
Same parts 50-75% cheaper, online, and faster...Just sayin'
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #10
Having been a Motorcade member in the past, we were so proud belong!  Just the calls that we made to James T. were worth any amount they could have charged back then.  We also formed many friends at the gatherings, but alas, never made a Motorcade Grandvention.  Time will tell if this is a good move, but hopefully it will be better and stronger in the end.
I brag everyday to other SOB owners on how much we loved our Foretravel.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #11
Just became a member 2 months ago. I guess wait and see. I feel like I've lost something I've never had yet. No magazine yet but anxiously waiting to get my first one.
Kathie :)
1991 Grand Villa
G91383636SBIORED250 model
Oshkosh v-917 frame rail type chassis
caterpillar 3208-t v-8 diesel engine w/ allison MT-643 four speed transmission

Reply #12
Forum Members:

Wanting to get to get first hand info I called Bev Koonce  at FT - here is what I learned.

1. - It was confirmed that Jan 1 is the beginning of the Foretravel fiscal year and the club will become an independent entity on that date.
2. - There were a number of business reasons for this change, but some have already been listed including the opportunity to grow the club membership via new partners or programs.
3. I was told technical support from James Triana WILL still be included as a Motorcade membership benefit, included in the cost of the club dues. Time will tell how this works out.
4. - I was also told that the member discounts WILL still be in place and honored as a benefit at FT service.
5.  - The major national motorcade events (GrandVention, Alaska Motorcade, Driving School, etc.) are self sustaining and will likely be continued in their current format.

Bev closed saying any club member with questions or concerns should just call her direct at FT to discuss.

I was satisfied in the conversation that the membership still had plenty of value to me.  I frequent FT and MOT enough, (both honor the discount), have used James T services a few times to bail me out, and enjoy getting the magazine, so unless they change one or more of those aspects of the club, I intend to renew my membership at renewal time.

Tim

Disclosure - I am not an employee of FT or related in any way personally to FT or the Motorcade Club, on a business or personal  basis.
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #13
Thanks for the briefing Tim.  I guess I'll hang in for another year and see how it goes.

jk
Jack and Cathy
1992 U280 Unihome 36' Build #4034
Cummins 8.3 /  Allison MT647/ PacBrake
Apopka, FL / Barre Center, NY

Reply #14
I'm not worried, and I'm keeping my membership.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #15
Proud to support the Motorcade Club, James T. has saved my bacon a few times too....

Paid our membership dues for next year and spoke to Bev direcfly.  Switched Chapters, due to our impending move to Tampa in the next two weeks. Looking forward to meeting the Florida members at the Spring Motorcade Rally. The learning experience from the experienced members alone is worth the price of admission!    :)

Jeff & Kristen
Jeff & Kristen
2002 U320 build #6039
Living the Dream!

Reply #16
When we purchase our next Foretravel, we will again become Motorcade members!  James T's help is priceless!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #17
Where will the members be able to purchase the Motorcade imprinted/embroidered sportswear?

Reply #18
James is the best.  All my years selling rvs, never seen support like this.  I will continue to be a Motorcade member as long as I have a FT and it is available.
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #19
Years ago, I saw a similar move made by Airstream Inc. eventually severing all club support relations with the membership. The result overtime saw the creation of an independent Airstream Club with name changes, permanent staff, monthly magazines, yearly election of officers, a Club office building, etc.
                    Lou 
Airstream's official club is the Wally Byam Caravan Club - started in 1955 in Canada.  Their national office now, is just down the street from the Airstream factory in Ohio and is/was not part of the Airstream corporation as the Motorcade is/was.  Byam started the club to promote the use of Airstreams, a company he founded.

It would indeed be a good model to learn from and perhaps follow...  but maybe without all the pomp and circumstance.
Bill Jackson & Kim Sweeney
24' Lazy Daze TK
SKP Lifetime member #105622
2002 U320 PBDS 36' (Sold)
Build 5941

Reply #20
Oh well, this might change things a bit.  I have been debating remaining a member after 17 years and being pretty active in the club.  We sold our Foretravel and now have a Born Free.  I wold think that the club could let all brands join now.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #22
We still have our Foretravel Motorcade jackets and they still fit!  I would vote to keep the Motorcade membership strictly for those owning a Foretravel.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Our coach " Maxine"
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

Reply #23
We still have our Foretravel Motorcade jackets and they still fit!  I would vote to keep the Motorcade membership strictly for those owning a Foretravel.

I 2nd that
1993 U300, 6v92
build 4366
USAF retired, Flight Engineer, C124, C130
 ATP, A & E.  & ex AI

Reply #24
I would vote for whatever it takes membership wise to keep the club viable. With the dwindling numbers of coaches being built, accepting SOB may become an economic necessity, perhaps a dues increase or both.

Tim Fiedler

Sure Start Soft Start - home of SureStart soft starters TCER Direct - home of Generac Approved Aluminum and Copper TCER Composite cable generator-gas-prod - home of X-Riser Gas Risers for PE installation Call me at 630 240-9139
Gen-Pro
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)