Skip to main content
Topic: 97 u320 40 ft/ (Read 810 times) previous topic - next topic

97 u320 40 ft/

Hello everyone  we are total newbies here. new to the forum and hope to be new to the rv lifestyle soon.  on 12/26 we looked at  a 1997 u 320  40ft.  with Cummins m11 and an Allison transmission, 161,000 miles.  super clean inside and only couple small blemishes outside. I know that the M11 with an Allison is a good combo but thought I would check the combined knowledge here before pursuing.  The asking price is $59,900.  Any info, advice, and guidance would be greatly appreciated.       

Re: 97 u320 40 ft/

Reply #1
Anything specific? Great engine Trans combo.. cant go wrong .. Does it have any maintenance records? Any paperwork? That would be a starting point for me. I think the price might be a little high but I havnt seen it.. Batteries, tires will and or might be the first initial costs in replacing. For starters!

Reply #2
Is this the coach at Olympia in TN?

If so it appears to have a Heart inverter/charger that would be a candidate for replacement to a pure sine or at least a modified sine inverter to support the newer electronics or a residential refrigerator upgrade if you go that route.

Again, assuming this is the Olympia coach, review the maintenance records mentioned in the ad.  Areas for close inspection, as mentioned above, are tires, air bags, fuel lines, air system, generator and bulkhead.

As most everyone will suggest, see if you can find a Foretravel experienced inspector.
Tom and Lisa

2003 U320 38' PBBS
Build No. 6217

Reply #3
Glen, I have a 96 320 with the M-11 and Allison Tranny. Wouldn't have it any other way, especially with the retarder. Mine has 107,000 miles and loves to run down the highway at speed limit. Set the cruise and let her breathe. Smooth ride, quiet, and did I mention she loves to run down the highway.

Won't comment on the price, since don't know what has been done maintenance and modifications.

Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #4
Bulkheads Bulkheads Bulkheads, get someone that knows how to professionally inspect the bulkhead. Trust me you will not regret it.
Tony n Denise 1994 U-300 SE detroit diesel 6v92 jake

Reply #5
Price is fair depending how much of the  needed servicing/replacements have been done. 
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #6
Lots to check on that coach;  Aqua Hot, does it work?  Service?  Generator? Hours, maintenance?  Don't be afraid of miles or hours as that is normally a good thing as the rig has not sat for extended amounts of time.  As others have mentioned, bulkheads!
Year of batteries, both coach and start?  Inverter, does it work?  Plug coach in and check all accessories and then unplug and check again with inverter on and then the generator running .  Condition of the black and grey tanks?  Books and service records?  Year of tires?
Since you mentioned you didn't know much about these coaches, I would pay for an inspection from someone very familiar with Foretravels!  Awesome combo for sure with engine and tranny and wonderful coach to drive, having owned a '98 U320.
Good luck in your purchase, welcome to the forum and ask plenty of questions.  There are many on here with lots of knowledge and willingness to help!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #7
PDI

Learning curve is steep - Best get started.

Grab your favorite beverage......

Pick a topic and use our SEARCH function.

If you must purchase this coach put down a small down-payment to purchase contingent upon a satisfactory PDI.

Welcome - all questions are fair.  You will get a bunch of answers and some might be right.  :D
Scott & Carol Seibert
2001 42' double slide U320 - Sold
Previous - 2002 36' U320

Reply #8
Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your search.  Others have already given you good advice regarding inspection, tire and battery dates , bulkheads etc.. The mileage is fine but one idea I would suggest is before you make an offer get the oil , coolant and transmission fluid analysis done.  This will give you a baseline of how the insides are doing and possibly information about issues that are not visible to the naked eye.

We bought our coach 11 years ago, live in it full time, have just about 160,000 miles on it and no end in sight.  Great coaches, but with any machine, they require maintenance  along the way.

Cya down the road.......................... ^.^d
Ted & Karen
2001 U270 36' - sold after 12 years full timing

Reply #9
Thanks for the welcome and all the great info.  Salesman said previous owner traded this coach in for a Prevost.    I did notice during the first look that the tires were from 2010  so  probably should be replaced soon.  Sorry it took me so long to get back.

Reply #10
Listen carefully to those wise ones who have commented on what to check out. With 8 year old tires, they would definitely be on the early list. That being said, mine had 13 year old Bridgestones on them. Put new Toyo's with centramatics on this spring. Not only safer (with new tread), but with the centramatics, it rides smoother than my 2 Buick's. At this age, you can count on needing things fixed/replaced/upgraded. It's part of the fun ;D

Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318