Skip to main content

Topic: Help me value a rare bird? (Read 1349 times) previous topic - next topic

Help me value a rare bird?
If I tell you a bit about a one-of-a-kind vintage Foretravel coach, could you help me get a sense of its value, what might be involved in restoration and at what cost, and hence whether restoration is worthwhile?

My mom used to live on the road...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Help me value a rare bird?
Reply #1
What year? VIN if you have it.

Pictures a real help.

Reply #2
Craneman has its sister coach. 

Reply #3
If I tell you a bit about a one-of-a-kind vintage Foretravel coach, could you help me get a sense of its value, what might be involved in restoration and at what cost, and hence whether...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
"Could she be flipped (or enjoyed) or would restoration be a certain money-loser?" No matter what you do, the value of the coach won't increase anywhere close to what you spend on it. If you're looking to make money on this, forget it - you...

Reply #5
Treedom.
 You may have the Unihome's and the Unicoach mixed up. The "pointy nose" would have been a Unihome built before the Unicoach.      A Unicoach will have the bus front.  1995 is about the last year that Unihome would have been mass...

• Gary Bouland
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
The last GV's ( Unihome 280's and 300's ) were built in 96 with another 6 built in 96. From then on it was bus fronts EXCEPT for a rare few GV320' built to order til about 2003 or 04. A GV on a Hendrickson is rare indeed.  CAFLASHBOB can probably...

Reply #7
Again : NOT A UNIHOME. Nose is pointy, not rounded. Year is 1983 (confirmed now) not 1996. Exciting part is I have pics now! Link to Google Drive folder of pics: http://bit.ly/2C8JDLq
Turns out we have to move it by the 25th so at this point I'm...

Reply #8
Would have to be cheap! Lots of time and a little $ to bring this one back. How about engine photos. Can tell a lot about the engine from the photos. Could be a mechanical engine but photos will tell. Never seen one with three bumpers stacked....

Reply #9
Would have to be cheap! Lots of time and a little $ to bring this one back. How about engine photos. Can tell a lot about the engine from the photos. Could be a mechanical engine...

• ratbug
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #10
Man, that thing is dusty on the inside... windows left open?   Which it was on the east coast!!     I'd love to tackle it.

David

Reply #11
6V92TA Detroit. Original was Silver Series but was replaced by red/green block late in life.
 Allison automatic (presumably 4-speed).
I was thinking that a photo would show if it is electronic or...

Reply #12
Man, that thing is dusty on the inside... windows left open?   Which it was on the east coast!!     I'd love to tackle it.

David
Two windows were left open slightly. Not sure when tho. No apparent...

Reply #13
If someone were to take on the enormous amount of work to restore this, you should just give it to them for their cost of having it carried to their location. Tires, batteries, brakes, fuel lines, scrubbed fuel tank, wiring .... You would need...

• Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:53:33 am by Carol Savournin

Reply #14
Sadly, this one is too far gone - I am reminded of the folks who spend $120,000 to fix up a 1973 GMC motorhome, only to hope to get back $40 - $60K after a long sales process.

Unless someone had an emotional connection and limitless funds...

Reply #15
We took one that had been sitting for 27 years and with very little $ but a lot of scrounging and weeks of work, it gave us a lot of enjoyment with trips to Canada and Mexico. It was not pretty but the fridge worked, the air kept us cool on hot...

Reply #16
Is she worth saving? At what cost? Could she be flipped (or enjoyed) or would restoration be a certain money-loser? What to do with her if not?

I spent a lot of my life playing with antique...

Reply #17
Sadly, this one is too far gone - I am reminded of the folks who spend $120,000 to fix up a 1973 GMC motorhome, only to hope to get back $40 - $60K after a long sales process.

Unless someone...

Reply #18
AMEN Old Phart.

What I was trying to say, is that coaches can be somewhat shallow money pits or really big money pits. My point is that usually the "bargain" coaches  end up coasting more in $$ and aggravation then the "expensive" coaches - said...

Reply #19
Flippers should never think about this coach. This one is for scroungers like me that dream of the RV experience, have done enough research to know better than to buy a cheap SOB and even though they are not journeymen mechanics, they have enough...

Reply #20
Man, that thing is dusty on the inside... windows left open?  Which it was on the east coast!!    I'd love to tackle it.

David
Two windows were left open slightly. Not sure when tho. No apparent...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Coaches are not an investment, just like boats
cars and other things. Truth be said a house may not be far behind, if you add up the ALL of the costs associated.
Well that quote will bite...

Reply #22
Maybe you could donate it to a worthy cause.  And, for a homeless person or family, that coach would be a dream come true.

Reply #23
Maybe you could donate it to a worthy cause.  And, for a homeless person or family, that coach would be a dream come true.

Please dont do this...

Cities are becoming overrun with abandoned...

Reply #24
Good news! In case anyone was curious...

Thanks to generous help from vintage RV restoration enthusiast James Holder, an adoptive family was found for Big Bertha. We gifted it to them for free: three generations of gentlemen from a family have...