Skip to main content
Topic: 2006 Phoenix side separating from roof on both side of coach (Read 774 times) previous topic - next topic

2006 Phoenix side separating from roof on both side of coach

I have a proud owner of an 06 Phoenix and have had health problems,so I put it up for sale on consignment.
Sold it in December but in the pre-inspection they found both sides separated from the roof at the drip rail back allowing water to penetrate the coach. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had this problem and what you have had done to try and fix the problem.

I have been told this has occurred on other 06-07 coaches. Please respond ,thank you
John
jdvan551@gmail.com

Re: 2006 Phoenix side separating from roof on both side of coach

Reply #1
Sadly a common occurrence those years. Best to call Xtreme paint and graphix in Nacogdoches. They can give you lots of background on issue. They have fixed quite a few

Tim Fiedler
Gen-Pro.biz
630 240-9139
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #2
Sadly a common occurrence those years. Best to call Xtreme paint and graphix in Nacogdoches. They can give you lots of background on issue. They have fixed quite a few
Did they figure out WHAT caused it? BTW, here's one for you, Tim:
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #3
Wow!  Rally neat vessel - wont hijack thread - but would love to know more about the trawler and where that picture was taken

Reply #4
And yes, Foretravel and Xtreme know the cause - poor design of the sealing of the lamination of the sidewalls in various openings (slide out for instance) water could sit on the top of the sidewall joint and since it was not correctly sealed it would infiltrate downward via gravity over time and delaminate the side in those ares.  Many have been repaired - some for many many thousands of dollars.  the prevention is pretty simple if caught before there is de-lamination, seal those openings, inspect and maintain those sealed areas, there should never be an issue.  Design changed after a year or two of this approach - not sure with what build number.

Rance at Xtreme can explain the issue better than I, he can also do a pre-purchase look at any coach that is in the area for problems - the two that I observed were a quick outside check by Rance looking for visible issues - so far I have not heard of any $$$ charge for the service. But he would likely have caught the de-lamination in one of those checks.

Reply #5
During the factory tour I was told the roof sheets were ordered 1/4" less wide than needed & they went ahead & used them. Keeping the edges sealed will prevent any problems but then who does this on a regular basis?  That's when I walked away from the 2007 we were considering. 2006 & 2007 had this short roof.
Barry