Skip to main content
Topic: power steering fluid in hydraulic reservoir (Read 637 times) previous topic - next topic

power steering fluid in hydraulic reservoir

Had my rebuilt steering box installed at Rush Truck center.  They "topped off" the hydraulic reservoir with power steering fluid vs 15-40 motor oil. Don't know how much but cost was $33.00 for material.  They are currently draining the reservoir/replacing the filters.  Are there any future concerns (leaking seals/damage) I should be aware of due to their mistake.  Thanks.
Bob Moore
00 270

Re: power steering fluid in hydraulic reservoir

Reply #1
No problems to worry about. My steering on my crane allowed for either fluid just not both at the same time. I switched from ATF which was factory installed to the 15/40 so that I only had to have one type to carry for any emergency situation. Had 25 years on it when I retired. I used to add a quart of ATF to engines before an oil change to add some detergent.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
If I am reading right they are replacing the filters because they put the ATF in?Seems to me along with a new steering box I would
have had the filters and fluid changed also and made sure what fluid they were using,the thing to remember with any shop is do
not assume they know all about our vehicles.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #3
What makes me shake my head is if they took the old one out and they did not see it was a different colour than ATM oil, that to me is a bad sign of negligence.  They should have asked you about it or made a note when removing box.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #4
My manual says to use power steering fluid and that is what I run in my steering hyd. sys.  Seems like 15-40 would be a little stiff for the system.  There may be a difference in the affect on the seals in the sys. if the wrong fluid is used.  Might be worthy to do some home work there.  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #5
  Thanks for info/feedback.  Got my rig back today with new filters and 15-40 oil.  Asked the service manager if they adjusted the gear box; didn't seem to know what I was talking about and stated that they came already adjusted.  After some discussion they adjusted the stops and deleted the labor charge for the oil change. All seems well at this point.  Lesson learned; as was stated, don't assume any shop knows about our rigs.
Bob Moore
2000 270 36'
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Reply #6
My manual says to use power steering fluid and that is what I run in my steering hyd. sys.
There is no apparent continuity in what Foretravel recommends for different model years.  Different years use totally different hydraulic systems.

My coach has two totally separate hydraulic systems, one for steering and one for cooling fans.  Each has a separate pump.  Both systems use 15W40 motor oil, same as the big engine and the generator engine.  Makes it simple - only have to carry one type of oil for top-ups.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."