Skip to main content

Topic: power steering fluid in hydraulic reservoir (Read 305 times) previous topic - next topic

power steering fluid in hydraulic reservoir
  Had my rebuilt steering box installed at Rush Truck center.  They "topped off" the hydraulic reservoir with power steering fluid vs 15-40 motor oil. Don't know how much but cost was $33.00 for material.  They are currently draining the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: power steering fluid in hydraulic reservoir
Reply #1
No problems to worry about. My steering on my crane allowed for either fluid just not both at the same time. I switched from ATF which was factory installed to the 15/40 so that I only had to have one type to carry for any emergency situation....

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
If I am reading right they are replacing the filters because they put the ATF in?Seems to me along with a new steering box I would
have had the filters and fluid changed also and made sure what fluid they were using,the thing to remember with any...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
What makes me shake my head is if they took the old one out and they did not see it was a different colour than ATM oil, that to me is a bad sign of negligence.  They should have asked you about it or made a note when removing box.
JohnH

Reply #4
My manual says to use power steering fluid and that is what I run in my steering hyd. sys.   Seems like 15-40 would be a little stiff for the system.   There may be a difference in the affect on the seals in the sys. if the wrong fluid is used.  ...

Reply #5
  Thanks for info/feedback.  Got my rig back today with new filters and 15-40 oil.  Asked the service manager if they adjusted the gear box; didn't seem to know what I was talking about and stated that they came already adjusted.  After some...

Reply #6
My manual says to use power steering fluid and that is what I run in my steering hyd. sys.
There is no apparent continuity in what Foretravel recommends for different model years.  Different...