Skip to main content
Topic: non stop, “clicking noise” in electric bay of 04 U320 (Read 992 times) previous topic - next topic

non stop, “clicking noise” in electric bay of 04 U320

In the electric bay of my 2004 U320, a noticeable, non stop, "clicking noise" has developed. I traced it to the panel shown in attached pictures. It seems to be one of the black devices connected to the white wires as shown in the close up picture. I am reluctant to disconnect the device as I don't know what issues that will create. Any input would be greatly appreciated
2014 Honda CRV
Washington, Vermont
Lady Lake, Fl,  Independence, VA
Former owner of 2002 U320, 2003 U320, 2005 U270

Re: non stop, “clicking noise” in electric bay of 04 U320

Reply #1
Those look like they might be a group of Bosch type relays.  If you have the wiring schematic for your coach, you should be able to identify them by their location, and get some idea what they control.  If they are relays, and one of them is being continuously turned on and off, then I would think you would notice something in the coach going on and off.  You could just touch each one of the black boxes, and feel which one is clicking.  There should be a ID number on either the box or the wire going to it.  Find that number on your wiring diagram to get a clue as to what is being powered on and off.  Since your coach is a LOT more complicated (electrically) than ours, that's about all the useless "advice" I can provide.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
I have not noticed anything on the coach turning off or on on its own. I have spent a lot of time looking. I will look for the wiring diagrams and see where that leads me. Could I do a lot of harm disconnecting the relay? I believe I know which relay it is as I can feel it working internally. Could the relay itself be failing?
2014 Honda CRV
Washington, Vermont

Reply #3
I don't believe you will do any harm disconnecting it.  If anything you may find out what it's connected to.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #4
1. Could I do a lot of harm disconnecting the relay?
2. Could the relay itself be failing?

1. Not likely if it is the relay but you will discover that something has quit working.  This could control something like the step well cover and with no air you would see no movement.
2. Yes
2a. It could be a switch that feeds this relay has stuck or has failed and is sending a signal to the relay.
Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #5
That is a circuit breaker that auto resets.  For some reason it is thinking there is an overload on the wire.  You need to get this figured out. If the breaker hangs up and stays on it will overload the wire and cause it to become very hot before it melts the insulation off of the wire.

I would disconnect the wire and then put it on one of the other breakers to see if your breaker had gone bad or you have a problem on that circuit.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #6
I have determined this relay controls the water fill valve. When I disconnect the relay, the valve is closed and will not allow water fill of tank. When relay connected, and switch turned on inside coach, valve will open allowing water into tank. When I push switch inside to close valve, the valve does close, thereby stopping water fill,  but the clicking resumes. My next step is to buy a new relay, see if that solves issue. I do have a full tank of water, and also have water at this Arizona campground
2014 Honda CRV
Washington, Vermont

Reply #7
While you're at it, pick up a few extra relays to carry in your parts bin.  I'll bet you have quite a few of them scattered around your coach, and it is not uncommon for them to malfunction.

Reply #8
cdm, looking at the first picture of your panel,  I see that there are 4 relays not in use. Switch over to one of those to see if the clicking continues
1987 Grand Villa OREG 460 SBID

Reply #9
Apparently some confusion here as to what's what.

The tall vertical stack of 17 thingies in the left side of the first photo are not relays - they are self resetting circuit breakers.

The group of 3 or 4 black cube shaped thingies in the bottom center of the first photo are Bosch type relays.  See close up 3rd photo.

The OP has traced his problem to one of the black cube shaped relays.

Reply #10
One reason I bought an older Foretravel just for this interaction!
1995 U320
Build #4677
2011 Honda CRV

Reply #11
Hey, good news!!!  After this much time, you don't need to call in the bomb squad, or not !!!!  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #12
Put your finger on each relay and you should be able to feel which one is clicking.  When you figure out which one it ism look at the wire numbers and then you should be able to trace it in the wiring diagrams.
Steve DeLange
2005 U320T 40'
Pearland, Texas

Reply #13
While you're at it, pick up a few extra relays to carry in your parts bin.  I'll bet you have quite a few of them scattered around your coach, and it is not uncommon for them to malfunction.
Bonus if you have spares, they never fail, I think Murphy said that.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #14
I have determined the relay that is clicking is Bosch part number 0332209161  which is connected to wires 2247  C28  and 61951 which control the auto water fill valve. Only Auto Parts store around -O'reilly, did not have Bosch, or any relay that cross referenced. I found two on Ebay and should have them by Thursday. Will be interesting to see if the new one stops the clicking noise, or if the problem is elsewhere causing the relay to click. I have checked the switches and they do not appear stuck.
I have to say- reading the electric wiring diagrams is challenging.
Thanks to everyone that offered advice. I greatly appreciate it
2014 Honda CRV
Washington, Vermont

Reply #15
I have to say- reading the electric wiring diagrams is challenging.
Agreed, and the older you get, the more challenging it becomes.  Many (old) Forum members have found a partial solution - they take the factory provided electrical schematic to a commercial printing shop, and have it enlarged to a more readable size.  You might look into having this done, as it makes it much easier following the little squiggly lines and reading the minute notations.

Sounds like you are well on your way to solving the problem.  A logical approach will usually yield positive results.  Let us know the outcome!

Reply #16
Chuck,
I did just that
Plus; I mounted the enlarged diagrams on poster boards (36"/36") and hung them on the shop walls
Cost was less than $100, well worth it for aged persons (do not even have to wear glasses to read)
1993 U300, 6v92
build 4366
USAF retired, Flight Engineer, C124, C130
 ATP, A & E.  & ex AI

Reply #17
Any VW or German repair shop will have a couple. 

Reply #18
Will be interesting to see if the new one stops the clicking noise, or if the problem is elsewhere causing the relay to click.
I have checked the switches and they do not appear stuck.

If the new relay also clicks recheck your switches.
With your coach do you have 2 water fill switches?
The coil on the fill valve is energized when the relay is closed. If it was to fail then you wouldn't have water flow as you have described.
There is a chance that a wire has chaffed and is showing the relay a ground causing it to chatter.

Mike

Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."