Skip to main content
Topic: Leaking hydralic fluid from slide pin lock (Read 911 times) previous topic - next topic

Leaking hydralic fluid from slide pin lock

I have a new to me 2002 Foretravel 270 with a living room slide.  One of the safety pin locks has a leak at what I assume is a sensor since it is very small and threaded into the aluminum block with two wire coming out of it.  First, Does it have an O ring that could be causing the leak? ( I doubt it, but thought I would ask)  If not, then can I unscrew the sensor and put a hydraulic thread sealant on it so that it wont leak?  Then do I need to bleed the system afterwards?  If so, how would it be done?
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Re: Leaking hydralic fluid from slide pin lock

Reply #1
Well.. been here twice, once in mexico and once in utah... messy to say the least.. after the repair I had oil seep from the bladder lower right side of the slide as you are outside looking at the coach. Leaked for a few days after the fix.

Let me look for my thread.. I took my aluminum piece to a hydraulic place and got some orings that will hold. Change all of them at this time so you done have another go bad.

Temp fix I found an Oring from a harbor freight oring set I had and used teflon tape.. DO NOT GET THE TAPE TO HIGH on the threads and get it into the hydraulic system.. Tighten real tight and that will hold for a little while..

Let me look around.. I do have some Orings as I bought extra just in case.. if you need one to match up I can look for it.

Reply #3
Thanks for the links to posts.  In your post there is a picture of the slide lock, on the right side of your slide lock picture you can see three wires going into a sensor that I assume tells the computer whether the slide lock is engaged or not.  This is where my leak is.  Do you know if there is an O ring that keeps the sensor from leaking?  If there isn't an o ring then could I use hydraulic thread sealant to try and stop the leak?
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #4
Have you tried re torquing the fitting where it is leaking?
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire (4523)
Cummins ISM 450HP
Allison 4000 MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Reply #5
Thanks for the links to posts.  In your post there is a picture of the slide lock, on the right side of your slide lock picture you can see three wires going into a sensor that I assume tells the computer whether the slide lock is engaged or not.  This is where my leak is.  Do you know if there is an O ring that keeps the sensor from leaking?  If there isn't an o ring then could I use hydraulic thread sealant to try and stop the leak?

Dont think its an oring their.. I would uninstall and send it out and have it looked at by HWH if they do that.. I think the replacement was a couple hundred I think

Reply #6
I'm a little confused.  I don't think there is a pressure sensor at the lock mechanism.  There is a magnetic switch that looks a little bit like a toy pistol made out of brown plastic resin (about 3" long) that has the electrical wires you are talking about.  It senses when the pin extends and retracts.  Might do a little more exploring for the leak. And then again I might be mistaken.  I'll try to find a picture of the pistol.

Hope this helps,

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #7
I'm a little confused.  I don't think there is a pressure sensor at the lock mechanism.  There is a magnetic switch that looks a little bit like a toy pistol made out of brown plastic resin (about 3" long) that has the electrical wires you are talking about.  It senses when the pin extends and retracts.  Might do a little more exploring for the leak. And then again I might be mistaken.  I'll try to find a picture of the pistol.

Hope this helps,

Rich

I woke up this am and was thinking the same thing... I just cant remember if anything passed through the casing or not.. Pretty sure it Does Not...

Take it off and inspect it.. not to hard just takes time..You will see the sensor has like Rich said, a little piece of plastic shaped like a toy gun, its almost flat and it slides on the side and locks in by the bolt. I still believe its your cap that is leaking on the block.

I didnt see the big nut on mine until I took everything apart but they are all the same (aluminum blocks).

Reply #8
Here are a couple pics I took when mine leaked.. pic 1 you can see the flat looking part on the lower right corner (sensor).  It slides out and the only place for liquid to leak is from the fittings or the top nut. I am going to guess its your nut leaking.

Reply #9
I have included a picture of my slide lock mechanism.  In the upper right hand corner of the block you can see where wires go into the block, this is were I thought my leak was coming from.  It looks like it is screwed into the block from the perspective that I can see, but based on you'all's pics maybe it isn't.  Maybe I will take it down and take a good look at it.  David I remember reading something about how you took your slide lock down and it caused some other problem later, but am a bit fuzzy on what the details were.  Can you refresh my memory?  Thanks for the help.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #10
 I believe that goes to the sensor not that block . Get some rags cover everything up real good and remove it. Only lWay to tell

Reply #11
Finally had time to take block down, and it seems to be leaking from the hole that the sensor sits in (see photo).  Would this leak be coming from a bad seal at the big nut on bottom of slide lock block and migrating up the sensor tube (Does it go completely through the block?) or is it a cracked aluminum block?
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #12
IMHO. Take it off and apart and see. That's what I would do
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #13
Found this interesting video on HWH site (need to start slide show in powerpoint to see).  Based on the video it doesn't look like fluid should get into the hole for the sensor.  Just trying to figure this out before I tear apart something that only has a small leak when the lock is engaged and end up making things worse.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #14
Only places it can leak besides a crack... The big nut or the hose connectors

Reply #15
David, when you took yours apart did the hole for the sensor go from top to bottom and come out near the big nut and did you just replace o'rings at the bottom or did it need something else?  I seem to remember from your post that you tried to fix it once and then took it to a hydraulic shop.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #16
the nut face up.. we were in mexico on the first leak.. rigged it to get home.. last leak I tracked the correct Oring down.. Cant remember on the sensor. best to take it off and clean it real good and look it over... Doubt it cracked but could be wrong.. Oring is my guess still..

Reply #17
Just to update everyone.  The aluminum block of the slide lock had a micro fracture between the sensor hole and the hydraulic cylinder which would cause it to leak through the sensor hole.  Confirmed with HWH that there shouldn't be a physical connection between the sensor hole and the cylinder and that no fluid should come out of it.  Called FOT and got a new slide lock for a little over $300 dollars.  If you ever order one make sure to tell them how many hydraulic ports the slide lock has.  The first one they sent me only had two, but the original had four hydraulic ports.  They had the other one in stock and sent it to me with a shipping label for the wrong one.  The four port one was actually about $20 dollars cheaper.  Go figure.  Kept the old leaky one in case I ever need the internals for another slide lock.  Thanks for everyone's advice.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #18
Maybe it can be Tig welded? Then you have a back up?