Skip to main content

Topic: Tambour doors (Read 584 times) previous topic - next topic

Tambour doors
After a thread mentioned the tambour doors, being an engineer I must applaud foretravel or others!  What an ingenuous solution for a motorcoach. They are simple, lightweight, and not subject to hinge spring stresses encountered trying to keep the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Tambour doors
Reply #1
Really like ours, and it was one of the tipping points for me choosing the '96 over another coach.  '96 was the last year of the tambour doors.  Although our coach does have a few of the hinged type, which are also nice so long as the struts are...

Reply #2
Not sure over the very long term how the tambours door sliders will be replaceable as they harden from age. 

They resist rolling up as the backing hardens.  I understand Foretravel no longer has them in their parts.

Maybe some here can figure out...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Can't you do a little wood working and shave them to keep in tip top shape?

Reply #4

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
The individual strips of wood are glued to a fabric. Either the adhesive lets go or the fabric gets stiff or brittle and the material starts cracking due to the constant flexing that creates fatigue.
Our 1989 has all but one strip of wood still...

Reply #6
What I know about tambour doors (both our Airstreams had them, too) is one opens and closes them with ultimate care, very slowly. If one binds, don't 'cowboy' it, just move it back and forth gently, maybe spray some silicone on the tracks. Our...

Reply #7
Foretravel tambour cabinet  doors were made by a craftsman somewhere over in Florida, I seem to recall. When he died or was disabled, I forget which, Foretravel discontinued this feature.

Reply #8
I have seen 100 year old roll top desks, with the slats horizontal and sagging somewhat that still work.  I guess I wont worry much about my vertical slats.  Whoever made them was a great craftsman, I am guessing there are 600 feet of perfectly...

Reply #9
The Foretravels were backed in rubber

Reply #10
Was in my 36 foot COLD coach tonight and I counted slats on several tambour doors, and multiplied the rest. Over 1200 feet of precision parallel joinery between the 600 slats, that you cannot hardly insert a feeler gauge into any gap on the...

Reply #11
That's just par for a Foretravel coach.   And a fix for a Tambor door issue is just par for the ForFum crowd.    Right guys......

Reply #12
Sheepishly, I gotta say the FT tambour doors are memorable. Our coach has so many gorgeous woodworking features that really work well together...and these doors are the best. The "baby" doors over the microwave area on our girl measure only 4" or...

Reply #13
That's just par for a Foretravel coach.   And a fix for a Tambor door issue is just par for the ForFum crowd.    Right guys......
30 years old and so far no fix needed, or issues. Could go...

Reply #14
Some of the earliest 70's coaches with the tambours used in the desert  heavily had the backing get hard and resist rolling up.

Had to replace a few 30+ years ago,

Do not see a lot of Orange and brown FTX's here.  Sold a lot of them.  Now that I...

Reply #15
Trash compactor came with our 97. .....never have used it.

Reply #16
Was it in the cabinet under the hutch?  Ours appears to be that size.  We dry camped mostly long ago and the compactor was a  space efficiency  need.

Reply #17
Yes. Our compactor is in the cabinet under the hutch.

Reply #18
Every coach needs a garbage can and that is what we use the compactor for.  It works well, but it is not worth messing with for what little garbage we generate.  Have a great day  ----  Fritz

Reply #19
Don't have room for one, don't know that we would use it. I thought that's what used Walmart bags were for.

Larry

Reply #20
Okay....time to 'fess up. WalMart bag in the trash compactor is our trash can 🙄

Reply #21
My 30 year old compactor still working, did not have a key when I got the coach, but was able to buy one at local appliance parts store ^.^d

Reply #22
Remember a Foretravel was made to be a self contained dry camp coach.  Rving was an adventure 35 years ago.  I had customers remote live for long term in non campground conditions.