Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel System on 01 320 (Read 553 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel System on 01 320

The motorhome is hard to start after sitting 2 or 3 days. I think the back fuel filter system may be the problem.
Any ideas?

Re: Fuel System on 01 320

Reply #1
What primary fuel filter do you have?

The Winn system has been superseded because of issues with air getting into the system.

Go to Parker-Racor's site and enter your fuel filter system number for info.

Also, be sure to check fuel hoses for cracks that could be allowing air into the system.  The inlet side of the primary fuel filter is a good place to check for cracks.  It IS at that age.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Does your primary filter look like this?  The clear plastic bowl has a stainless steel screen if you have a bunch of algae in your fuel this will be full black flakey goo.  It is enough to stop fuel from getting to the engine.  The other fuel filter is on the passenger's side of the engine.  These is a valve to drain it on the bottom, drain then remove filter.  Access from underneath of from the bedroom.

Reply #3
If you replace the clear plastic bowl it comes with two "O" rings but, there is also an "O" ring up inside each metal connector that the bowl goes inside that should be changed also.  Thanks to Beau for that info.
Glen & Suzie
1998 U320 36'
Build #5366
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2015 ATC Aluminum 20' Trailer
Previous 1996 U295 40'
Motorcade #17546
Stephenville, TX

Reply #4
  Most of the time; If it starts poorly but runs OK  after start, the system has an air entry point.
If it starts poorly and runs poorly with smoke , you may have clogged filters and or air entering  the system as it runs.
 I changed  all of my filters to spin on , one piece style to reduce air entry and increase serviceability  Simply put the filters are easy to source .
  The Racor style works very well of course but has many seals that all must function 100%  for correct function.  The parts are much harder to find  in a timely fashion.

Reply #5
My original set up was in pretty poor condition and went with the new Racor filter/housing in order to avoid having to revisit the issue later.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8