Skip to main content
Topic: Has anyone had a problem with paint checking/crazing on their Foretravel Coach? (Read 1491 times) previous topic - next topic

Has anyone had a problem with paint checking/crazing on their Foretravel Coach?

I'm trying to get as much information as I can concerning paint checking/crazing on Foretravel Motorhomes, especially years 2002-2008.

Have any forum members had this problem on their coach?

Is the problem only cosmetic?  or will it eventually cause structural problems, like delamination.

Is there a fix that is permanent?

Thanks in Advance!!

John A Meents

Re: Has anyone had a problem with paint checking/crazing on their Foretravel Coach?

Reply #1
No first hand info but the darker colors have more problems,others will answer soon.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Re: Has anyone had a problem with paint checking/crazing on their Foretravel Coach?

Reply #2
Big problem in the high line Monaco motorhomes also the same years.  My boss always told me, "expensive to fix correctly, and it will come back", therefore we would never fix. We would discount the RV 15-20 thousand dollars and that usually made the issue go away.

I'd call, and ask for Teresa Smith, please mention I suggested the call.  The will have had experience repairing this.
Featured Products
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #3
Can you take a couple of pics?  ^.^d  Many coaches had this problem: this off a Blue Bird. It's that plastic 'bug shield'.
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #4
Crazing is starting to appear in the dark red and black of my 2003. Fiortunately it's still minor and I have little of those colors.

I'm told it's in the gel coat.  I'll live with it.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #5
Mike,

I'm considering buying a 2007 Foretravel 36' Nimbus.  I live in Texas, and the Coach is in California.  I've been told by the seller it has some checking/crazing on dark colors-I'm waiting for them to send me some images.  If I get the images, I will post them.

Thanks!!!

John

Reply #6
I have it.. Can be sanded and repainted but eventually it comes back. Dont think any issues besides looks.. It comes from the hot summers and dark colors.. Not as bad on the lighter colors..

Mine is a 2002 in the hot nevada desert

Reply #7
Our 03 has it in the black swooshes on the sunny side.  When we purchased it, we had Xtreme sand it all out and repaint.  Crazing came back within a couple of years.
Gayle McNeece

Reply #8
The crazing happens with different expansion rates of the adjoining bodywork due to the different colors' heat absorption. The only fix to to use similar colors .
;Cool Roof Design for Hot Texas Climate | Houston Cool Metal Roofs

Reply #9
As was stated it was the Dow Fiberglass
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #10
Can you take a couple of pics?  ^.^d  Many coaches had this problem: this off a Blue Bird. It's that plastic 'bug shield'.

Mike,

Seller sent me one image, but it has too many reflections to show anything.  The problem on the coach I'm looking at is not a plastic bug shield or Diamond Shield problem, I believe it is an outgassing problem with the fiberglass under the dark colors-either a problem with the fiberglass itself or not letting things cure long enough before gel coating the fiberglass, and then painting and top coating over it.  I'm not sure this is the correct description of the cause.

Thanks,

John

Reply #11
Work the paint problem into the selling price and forget it,it's not going to rust and you will enjoy a trip just as much as with a flawless paint job.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #12
Its also a common problem in the years mentioned.. nothing to stress over.. get a discount.. The bones are good.. If not, buy a monaco that shines well and fix everything as you drive it because it will fall apart on the road.

Reply #13
The entire industry had the same cracking issues.  Only in the dark painted hot areas
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #14
Straight white gel-coat rocks, trust me, right Bob?....
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #15
Every boat in the harbor is white gel coat for a reason.  The big steel ships have gens on 24/7
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #17
Except for the polishing .. all is well
Once done, it's done, unless left out in harsh weather, then paint takes it worse.... 8)

But you are correct, 250+ hours, ask me how I know, and it was shinny to start with....

Reply #18
Chris when can I bring mine up?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #19

Lets see, $90.00 hrs (brother in-law price) X 250 hrs....I am in......But you are always welcome to visit for free 8) ....

Reply #20
Chris 250+ hours, what we're using to buff? a q-tip LOL. Unfortunately my front badly weathered decal/stripe stains go apparently all the way thru the gelcoat, and I think I will have to wrap the front cap where the badly weathered graphics/stains were. Wrap on the cap has it's advantages I keep telling myself, as it takes the brunt of road travel damage. Wanted to have an all naked (white gelcoat coach) but I guess thats not going to happen. :'(  just going to have to live my glossy side stripes and glossy 30 year old gelcoat.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #21
Foretravel switched to  a max guard  29 gel coat around 95-96 per the spec sheets.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #22
If it makes you all feel better, ours had a complete strip, new paint and stripes done about six years ago. I've stayed n top of it with Megular's, but living in the Arizona sun, I can see the dark green decals starting to fail, especially on the nose!  :'(
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #23
Foretravel switched to  a max guard  29 gel coat around 95-96 per the spec sheets.

Bob, would you happen to know the Build Number perhaps, somehow, or could I contact the Factory to find out what product they used, looks like that company is still in Business! Thanks!
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!

Reply #24
In 1997, I believe it was a U-320 42' rolled into the Escondido store, from Nacogdoches.  As the Acceptance Inspection was going on, Blisters were Immediately detected, then some Delamination, as well! It was the First Factory Painted Coach, as I was told, and it was there at our lot for only a day or three.  It went back to the Factory, for repairs.  I'd say that the Dark Colors can be detrimental  to our Coaches, possibly because of the Technique used to Bond our Coaches, in the Vacubond Process?  They could have found a solution, I wished I could quote just what that was?  It was a Dark Blue, as I recall?  Looked Gorgeous but had issues!  I'd contact the factory, and ask for specific guidance as to Paint... Process, or Type perhaps, before applying it! I am sure the Bugs got worked out, as many since have paint!
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!