Skip to main content

Topic: Has anyone had a problem with paint checking/crazing on their Foretravel Coach? (Read 800 times) previous topic - next topic

Has anyone had a problem with paint checking/crazing on their Foretravel Coach?
I'm trying to get as much information as I can concerning paint checking/crazing on Foretravel Motorhomes, especially years 2002-2008.

Have any forum members had this problem on their coach?

Is the problem only cosmetic?  or will it eventually...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Has anyone had a problem with paint checking/crazing on their Foretravel Coach?
Reply #1
No first hand info but the darker colors have more problems,others will answer soon.

Re: Has anyone had a problem with paint checking/crazing on their Foretravel Coach?
Reply #2
Big problem in the high line Monaco motorhomes also the same years.  My boss always told me, "expensive to fix correctly, and it will come back", therefore we would never fix. We would discount the RV 15-20 thousand dollars and that usually made...

Reply #3
Can you take a couple of pics?  ^.^d  Many coaches had this problem: this off a Blue Bird. It's that plastic 'bug shield'.

Reply #4
Crazing is starting to appear in the dark red and black of my 2003. Fiortunately it's still minor and I have little of those colors.

I'm told it's in the gel coat.  I'll live with it.

Reply #5
Mike,

I'm considering buying a 2007 Foretravel 36' Nimbus.  I live in Texas, and the Coach is in California.  I've been told by the seller it has some checking/crazing on dark colors-I'm waiting for them to send me some images.  If I get the...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I have it.. Can be sanded and repainted but eventually it comes back. Dont think any issues besides looks.. It comes from the hot summers and dark colors.. Not as bad on the lighter colors..

Mine is a 2002 in the hot nevada desert

Reply #7
Our 03 has it in the black swooshes on the sunny side.  When we purchased it, we had Xtreme sand it all out and repaint.  Crazing came back within a couple of years.

Reply #8
The crazing happens with different expansion rates of the adjoining bodywork due to the different colors' heat absorption. The only fix to to use similar colors .
;Cool Roof Design for Hot Texas Climate | Houston Cool Metal Roofs

Reply #9
As was stated it was the Dow Fiberglass

Reply #10
Can you take a couple of pics?  ^.^d  Many coaches had this problem: this off a Blue Bird. It's that plastic 'bug shield'.

Mike,

Seller sent me one image, but it has too many reflections to show...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Work the paint problem into the selling price and forget it,it's not going to rust and you will enjoy a trip just as much as with a flawless paint job.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Its also a common problem in the years mentioned.. nothing to stress over.. get a discount.. The bones are good.. If not, buy a monaco that shines well and fix everything as you drive it because it will fall apart on the road.

Reply #13
The entire industry had the same cracking issues.  Only in the dark painted hot areas

Reply #14
Straight white gel-coat rocks, trust me, right Bob?....

Reply #15
Every boat in the harbor is white gel coat for a reason.  The big steel ships have gens on 24/7

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Straight white gel-coat rocks, trust me, right Bob?....

Except for the polishing .. all is well

Reply #17
Except for the polishing .. all is well
Once done, it's done, unless left out in harsh weather, then paint takes it worse.... 8)

But you are correct, 250+ hours, ask me how I know, and it was...

Reply #18
Chris when can I bring mine up?

Reply #19
Chris when can I bring mine up?

Lets see, $90.00 hrs (brother in-law price) X 250 hrs....I am in......But you are always welcome to visit for free 8) ....

Reply #20
Chris 250+ hours, what we're using to buff? a q-tip LOL. Unfortunately my front badly weathered decal/stripe stains go apparently all the way thru the gelcoat, and I think I will have to wrap the front cap where the badly weathered...

Reply #21
Foretravel switched to  a max guard  29 gel coat around 95-96 per the spec sheets.

Reply #22
If it makes you all feel better, ours had a complete strip, new paint and stripes done about six years ago. I've stayed n top of it with Megular's, but living in the Arizona sun, I can see the dark green decals starting to fail, especially on the...

Reply #23
Foretravel switched to  a max guard  29 gel coat around 95-96 per the spec sheets.

Bob, would you happen to know the Build Number perhaps, somehow, or could I contact the Factory to find...

Reply #24
In 1997, I believe it was a U-320 42' rolled into the Escondido store, from Nacogdoches.  As the Acceptance Inspection was going on, Blisters were Immediately detected, then some Delamination, as well! It was the First Factory Painted Coach, as I...