Skip to main content

Topic: Correct router bit to match FOT's drawer? (Read 409 times) previous topic - next topic

Correct router bit to match FOT's drawer?
Working on a project in which I need to make a drawer front to match (hopefully, anyway...) the ones in our coach 99' U270. I have ¼" and ⅛" round over/beading bits which are close, but not quite right. I could do some thing different since this...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Correct router bit to match FOT's drawer?
Reply #1
Don,
I always appreciate your write ups and projects, keep up the fine work. Looks amazing.

• Carol & Scott
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Have you contacted Flanigan?

We had them build a couple of louvered doors a while back.  Price not bad.

You could take the door to Woodcrafters.  They have a pretty good selection of cutter heads.

Don, you always do nice work.  Looking forward to...

Reply #3
Don, like the others, can't wait to see the final results. Have you looked at Rockler.com. All kinds of woodworking tools and supplies.

Larry

Reply #4
When Jim added drawers and doors to our interior, he searched for a router bit, etc.  He had various cabinet makers look at the doors/drawers.  No one could match it.  In the end, we ordered them from Foretravel.  I don't remember what we paid...

Reply #5
Would be smart of Foretravel to have custom router bits would it not?

Reply #6
Don,

They probably used custom cutters.  Your drawer edge is different from the ones in my coach.  It looks more like an eliptical round over than a straight radius.  Look at this one.  Use a 3/8" bearing instead of the 1/2" one to get a step on...

Reply #7
I suppose that Foretravel might have created custom profiles, but the differences are pretty subtle. I have nothing against buying drawer fronts from Foretravel (or cabinet doors, etc.), it is just that I like to work on things as the inspiration...

Reply #8
Thanks for the suggestion Roger, that looks close (with the smaller bearing). I will investigate further...
Don
Don,

They probably used custom cutters.  Your drawer edge is...

Reply #9
Very nice work Don!

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Get one of those contour gauges that are used for cutting tile or flooring,use it on the drawer and then search the various sites
that sell bits,most of them have a profile of the cut the bit would make and just match it up.

Reply #11
Don excellent work as usual, but can you please explain the advantage of having a cooktop slide?

Reply #12
Don excellent work as usual, but can you please explain the advantage of having a cooktop slide?
My DW said she would like it to stop the heat marks on the wall behind the back burner...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
My DW said she would like it to stop the heat marks on the wall behind the back burner when using a large pan.

I would think the oil/grease splatter on the rear wall or tile also..

Reply #14
I would think the oil/grease splatter on the rear wall or tile also..

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15

Cheater! :))

Reply #16
My main consideration for having the cooktop slide is for counter space preservation. Part of the project not yet completed is the Corian cover, which will be in two segments. I scored a Corian counter top that is an exact color match from Dave...

• Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 12:45:37 am by Don & Tys

Reply #17
I had David Flanigan do a similar project - I removed my Gagenau two burner cooktop (anyone want it BTW?) and replace it with a two burner True Induction unit.

Pros -

LOVE Induction - only way to go for cooking once you have tried it - yes you need...

Reply #18
Working on a project in which I need to make a drawer front to match (hopefully, anyway...) the ones in our coach 99' U270. I have ¼" and ⅛" round over/beading bits which are close, but not...

Reply #19
I have a HF cheapie 30" brake that I used when doing the utility bay stainless treatment. It wasn't able to make crisp bends with the 22 gauge stainless I used for most of it, but I liked the soft radius I ended up with for that project. The...