Skip to main content
Topic: Leaking norgren control valve (Read 730 times) previous topic - next topic

Leaking norgren control valve

The norgren control valve that controls the step well cover leaks air out the top exhaust port when the step cover is extended, however it does not leak when retracted. Can it be cleaned or do I have to replace it? Any ideas appreciated.
The selected media item is not currently available.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
2021 Chevrolet Silverado pickup
Motorcader  17257

Re: Leaking norgren control valve

Reply #1
Can it be cleaned or do I have to replace it?

Lynn,
They are prety simple and can be cleaned.  If yours is OEM you will have a funny shaped O ring that you need to take care with, other than that it is straight forward.  Some of the new ones are crimped together so you can't clean them.

Just found the thread where this was discussed several weeks ago with pics. Norgen step valve leaking

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #2
I was considering taking the air lines loose and spraying silicone in them and letting it cycle through the actuators and the cylinders. All that dry air for that many years might need a little lubrication in that part of the system. What do you think?
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
Motorcader  17257

Reply #3
It might work. If you have dust from the dryer in there the spray will most likely turn it into mush.

If spray lube don't work  you will still have to pull it apart and give the shuttle a good cleaning.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #4
I would be afraid to add anything to the system ...Might plug everything up down stream or worse..

Reply #5
The norgren control valve that controls the step well cover leaks air out the top exhaust port when the step cover is extended, however it does not leak when retracted. Can it be cleaned or do I have to replace it? Any ideas appreciated.
Could it be the actuator leaking through the exhaust port?

Mark
Mark and Tanya
Milton , Florida
US Navy Veteran (DV)
1999 U270 Special 40' CAI , 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply #6
If it is the exhaust port that is on top of the actuator, that is where it is leaking.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
Motorcader  17257

Reply #8
I just replaced one yesterday with a Mac valve part number 912B-PM-551BA. I got it in Tampa Florida from Adams Air and Hydraulics
previous 1984 35 ft ORED 250 HP 3208 Cat       
previous 1998 40 ft U295 CAI 325 hp Cummins
previous 2003 40 Ft u320 build #6140 450 Cummins M11.                                                         
1999 Mazda Miata
Ron, Nancy, Tipper the cat, Max The dog
1997 U 270 36 ft build number 5174 8.3 Cummins

Reply #9
Valve works by swapping air-in with air-out ports and restricting air-out venting to slow down step or step-slide to keeping it from banging closed or open.

Restrictor vent is adjustable and can be removed to clean.  Rotating vent will control closing speed.

Reply #10
Air is leaking out the exhaust port of the actuator for the step well cover when in the retracted position. I think this may mean that air is leaking around the piston when it is in the closed position.    Maybe.  Thanks for all suggestions.  I'll try something.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
Motorcader  17257

Reply #11
I think this may mean that air is leaking around the piston when it is in the closed position.   

Lynn,

The piston is sticking in such a manner that both ports are slightly open. It must be a piece of trash keeping the piston from seating off. If it is a slight chance the spring has failed keeping the piston from returning to close.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #12
Maybe this will help.
This was my step cylinder.
If the step well cover actuator is made by Ingersall Rand these contacts should be able to help.

Here is the step cylinder overhaul info:

You can get the kit from:
Kelly Supply (Grand Island,NE.)
Salesman is Terry Falkena at
800-918-8939 ext 233.

The new p/n for my step cyl 1995 U320se) is
2418-1089-081DFF-B18AST
The kit p/n is Rk2418-10.

If you can't get the cyl apart (or don't want to do it)
Call Denise Marsh at Ingersall Rand at 419-633-6926.
I sent the actuator and o/h kit to her.
She ran it through the training dept. No charge and even paid the return shipping!

This is something I posted sometime ago.
It worked for me because I couldn't get the wire key out of the end of the cylinder.
Those contacts may have changed but hopefully the phone numbers will still get you to someone that can help.
JD
John Duld
1995 U320C SE 40'