Skip to main content
Topic: 1992 U225 5.9 Cummins For Sale $12,000 Asking (Read 1050 times) previous topic - next topic

1992 U225 5.9 Cummins For Sale $12,000 Asking

Jimmy Freytag found this one in Odessa, TX and posted it on the Foretravel Facebook Group. 5.9 Cummins with 75,000 miles including new tires last year. Faded decals but sure worth a look for someone looking for a diesel pusher. Bet $10K would take it home. 1992 Foretravel Diesel - rvs - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

I just checked and it's still available.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Re: 1992 U225 5.9 Cummins For Sale $12,000 Asking

Reply #1
Like so many coaches that come on the market with 'low mileage' and such, I'd be real leery of them. The fact that she is a 'U' means that there could be serious problems down below. She has the 'torsilastic' suspension, but has it been 'tweaked'?  It looks like a rear-mount radiator/cooler, rather than a side mount, which, for service of hoses, etc. is a pain. Looks like the original AC, so, I'd think the rest of the furnaces, fridge, stove, etc. are original. I'd bet one could drop 10/20k into bringing it back to ' traveling condition'. No matter what the 'good deal' is, I'd have someone like Brett Wolfe take a serious look: the paint and stripes is not a big deal, but the rest............ :-\
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #2
Here we go: The 225 is not quite as serious as the 240; because of the weight of the CAT 3116 engine, Brett had his/ours upgraded.
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #3
Good attachment. I always wondered what they looked like. Yes, you could easily drop a lot of money into a "problem child" but the faded decals could be a plus as they might mean that while the coach was stored outside, it may have been in a dry climate. Also, the U225 does not have all the higher tech accessories like ours does. Yes, it probably needs a fridge. Buying a used Foretravel does take a lot of research and some luck. In about ten years of ownership, our has not cost even one coach buck to maintain, just $ spent on the fun stuff like TV and solar.

They years seem to be rolling by faster and faster. As the coaches age along with us, they are going to need more and more maintenance. I can't imagine owning one if you can't do at least some of the work yourself.

Once the weather improves, I will start installing the Chinese diesel furnaces sitting in my hallway and may also install a Chinese diesel water/coolant heater for the engine. Will post about that as I go. Nothing wrong with the old furnaces but they are noisy.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #4
As I have said many times, this vintage coach (27 years old) could be a treasure or (more likely) a money pit-- and could be overpriced at free.

Bulkheads, torsilastic suspension repair, batteries, fuel lines, tires, brakes, etc could easily cost more than full NADA retail.

All I can say is BUYER BEWARE!
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #5
In my thirty year, three coach experience, with 'normal' use, everything will need service/replacement at around 80k, and every 80k thereafter; that's just how it works. I once had a 'tech' tell me, "you know, these rigs are NOT made for full-timing." Hmmm........
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #6
Ha! We've some friends up north that got a sailboat like that. When they got into it, she told me, "They should have paid US to take it away!"
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #7
As I have said many times, this vintage coach (27 years old) could be a treasure or (more likely) a money pit-- and could be overpriced at free.
Bulkheads, torsilastic suspension repair, batteries, fuel lines, tires, brakes, etc could easily cost more than full NADA retail.
All I can say is BUYER BEWARE!
Very true but "nothing ventured, nothing gained." A check list along with an Foretravel owner looking over your shoulder sure can help identify problem issues. After all, this is a coach going on thirty years old so that's why I said that you should be able to do at least some of the maintenance yourself. The longer I'm a member of this forum, the more I'm impressed with the abilities of many of the members here. Others without the "shade tree" experience can learn from the posts of old school veterans. What may cause one owner much anxiety may be just a challenge to another.

Yes, it would be cheaper to drive a gasoline car from motel to motel or pull a tent trailer but I'll take the risk along with the rewards anytime. I'm just one of those ADHD guys that always sees a glass half full. Sure, I've had my share of disasters but it's been mostly a good ride for 75 years.

As far as sailboat owners go, they are the most expensive way to go third class. Flying is sure many times cheaper if you go commercial instead of owning a plane. But these are all life experiences that great memories are made up from. At least in my case.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #8
After all, this is a coach going on thirty years old so that's why I said that you should be able to do at least some of the maintenance yourself.
'Maintenance' is one thing, a given. Unless the coach has had upgrades through it's life and paperwork to prove it, it's a crapshoot. I've never figured out what the parts/labor would be to re-new a coach that was at the end of it's  life-cycle would be, but I'd be thinking, "Lotsa Coach Bucks." I know ours is fresh, but I also know, 'my day in the barrel'will happen.
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #9
'Maintenance' is one thing, a given. Unless the coach has had upgrades through it's life and paperwork to prove it, it's a crapshoot. I've never figured out what the parts/labor would be to re-new a coach that was at the end of it's  life-cycle would be, but I'd be thinking, "Lotsa Coach Bucks." I know ours is fresh, but I also know, 'my day in the barrel'will happen.

We bought our 86 GV ( paul Newman version) for about the same money as this listed 1992.. but wtih provable 40,000 miles, and lots of documentation of work over the last 17 years and stored in CA for its entire life... we have been fortunate to put an additional 5,000 miles in last 7 months and we replaced a non working roof AC ( $ 900), all tires ( $ 1800) and a ATS capacitor for $ 2.50 ...

All front engine mechanicals in good working order.. need to replace our front suspension airbags, refresh brakes...

All house systems in good working order..  needing to update flooring.. remove 80's carpet for wood planks but thats all. 

I think we got lucky... reading this forum daily as i do... I KNOW we got lucky....
1986 Grand Villa, 454 Chevrolet, 33 SBI tag axle
Build # 2658
2nd owner, original owner was Newman/Freeman Racing, racer Bill Freeman and actor/racer Paul Newman

Reply #10
The old line from my Grandfather, who ran Studebakers all his life, trouble-free, was 'get a rig built on a Wednesday.' I'm thinking , more and more: "Buy a rig from a Wednesday PO"  (If you catch my drift)
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives

Reply #11
We purchased our '92 U225 a year and a half ago knowing that we might well have picked up a money pit. At the time of purchase she had ~123,000 miles, we've added about another 9,000. Her interior and exterior were in excellent condition (garage kept). However, we did have to invest some in bringing her back up to top-notch condition. First thing we needed was new tires all around. After that, the biggest single expense was the replacement of her rear torsilastic suspension. We found parts for that through Sulastic.com, about 3 Coach Bucks for two springs and accompanying shackles. We also had to get some extra shims made. Work was done at Bernd's World Line Motors. They did an outstanding job.

Second biggest expense was replacing her exhaust manifold. That ran about $800 plus labor. Most of the other items that "had" to be replaced, solenoid, throttle, air dryer, furnace motor, dash A/C compressor, power converter didn't run more than a few hundred each with those we were able to do ourselves (frequently with Brett's help) usually being under a hundred.

One major issues we brought on ourselves was opting to get the Amish Cooling Unit upgrade. As we described elsewhere, the replacement unit for the U225s (Dometic RM 3804) is slightly larger than the old unit. When the folks at JC Cooling put the fridge back in, it didn't fit all the way back, sticking out about 3/4 to 1 inch. We opted not to have them put the old unit back on, rather getting a trim strip added at MOT. Cost...$800+ for the cooling unit and $400+ for the trim strip.

We also decided to replace the insulation in the engine compartment (~$600) and made sure to get the fix for the Killer Dowel Pin (complicated by the rear radiator).

Of course you can always add to this things like belts, hoses, plumbing pieces, etc.

Bottom line, do we have any regrets? Not a one.

Deb, Jeff, and dog Honey (also in memory of previous traveling partner, Ralph)
The Jupiter 2: '92 36' U225 SBI, Build #4086
230 Cummins to 300hp with Banks Turbo
Monocoque Chassis and Pac Brake
The Space Pod: '16 Kia Soul Flat Tow

Reply #12
Glad you got the killer dowl pin fixed, so enjoy. Great powerplant for light coAchrs.

Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #13
Any "Wheel Estate" costs money to Maintain, whether it be an Automobile or those fancy new Off-Road 4 Wheelers, and Especially Blow Boats!  (Sailboats!).  I have owned 3 Mid-Sized Sailboats, a few Power boats, and have 6 Kayaks in my Fleet, for a Total of 13, at my House, right now!  With all the Dinghy's and a RIB Inflatable!  I am a Bonefide, "Boat - A - Haulic", as I Haul All my Boats!  But my very Last Toy, that will be in my Toybox, will be a 65' Sailboat....if the Boss Agrees, to it eventually!  ;D  While some here say it is best to Fly, and Stay in Motels, Go on Cruise Ships, etc. ,to Travel, I never liked any of that, in my life experiences, ever!  The sheer Joy, of all the Toys I have owned, and Payed to have fun and adventures with, were Priceless!  And a Total of 7 RV's I have owned since 1977, as well! I never liked "Rules" on where I can go, and how I can go!  The pure Freedom, I have had, to me is Best! If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it exactly as I have done! No Regrets!  The Foretravel, that I purchased, I knew Up-Front, and with an Honest, and Extensive Appraisal, from the Seller, I'd have to do work on it.  She is to me that "Diamond in the Rough"!  That being said, I again, have No Regrets, whatsoever!  The Asking Price, is just a Starting point, in even a Brand New Coach, of Any Brand, if you think about it?  Everyone ends up forking over for Maintenance, and Mods, from the Get Go!  In the end, when I am Ancient History, I know that the old song, " I did it MY Way" will be EXACTLY as I wanted it! I Love Life, and Appreciate all the Gifts it has given me! 

So, that coach, may, or may not be the Best Deal, that comes along for you, but for somebody, it will be their "Gem", and it's ALL Good! Hopefully somebody will take on that Challenge, too!  I met a Gent, who owned a 1983 Model, the other day!  Still as solid as ever,  and No Dents or Dings in the Fiberglass whatsoever!  Still had all the Orange Stripes, fading, and Peeling!  It was his "Gem", though, and he loved it to pieces!  It's what we want, and get, in a Foretravel, and appreciate the Craftsmanship that went into every Coach ever built!
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!