Skip to main content
Topic: Pink antifreeze leak (Read 984 times) previous topic - next topic

Pink antifreeze leak

I have a pink coolant leak that is coming from this area behind the wire bundle below the arrow.  Very hard to get an eyeball on.  No plumbing back here (coach has been winterized with pink stuff) so am assuming it is aqua hot coolant going into the engine?  Are there any other fluids that would be pink in the system?  I have a Gv320 2000 with the Cummins 450hp m11.  Leak is on drivers side of the engine and it runs down to the drivers side of oil pan.  My radiator is on the passenger side.  Aqua hot has been working and appears to have about 1" in the overflow tank in the bay behind the mid entry steps.  Is coach ok to drive? Should I not use aqua hot until I get this looked at? Suggested repair? Thanks a bunch for your help!

2000 GV320 4010 build #5712  2019-?
1999 Bounder 2000-2008
Bardstown, KY
🥃The Bourbon Capital of the World🥃

Re: Pink antifreeze leak

Reply #1
What kind of coolant are you using in the engine.  Mine is pink.

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #2
Plumbing is right above the arrow,are you sure it's not coming from the blue hose,stuff a rag under the area and try and pinpoint the leak,does it leak when not running,start engine and watch and see if you can see a leak,do that and get back to the forum.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #3
Clean the area very well, then pressurize the cooling system and verify the source.

Our guessing can lead you all over the place.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #4
Guessing water pump..

Reply #5
Tommy, that looks like the Blue Bell coach that was up for sale in TX.  Hope you find the leak, but as Brett said, run a pressure test.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #6
Rich- just bought the coach and the coolant that Beau Reece put into it was green

Bill - how do you pressurize the system? Turn on the aqua hot engine heator? I've got some boiler antifreeze on order and will fill up the aqua hot overflow to the cold level before I try to pressurize it that way.  Is there another way to pressurize the cooling system as you suggest.

I was fortunate enough to meet Mark Crick (motorcade mechanic) while I was at Foretravel and he is at the factory now and talked to an aqua hot  installer, seemed to think it is to the aqua hot engine preheat.  It will be a few days until the boiler antifreeze comes in.

Juice- it is, feel like I got a great deal on it but won't know until I see how much I have to spend on it in the next year. Ran great for 1k mile ride home.  Cruised at 70mph and got 8.5 mpg at 1550 rpms. Has a lot of cosmetic issues. And was very dirty, but it is really shaping up nicely. 

1999 Bounder 2000-2008
Bardstown, KY

Reply #7
Rich- just bought the coach and the coolant that Beau Reece put into it was green

Bill - how do you pressurize the system? Turn on the aqua hot engine heator? I've got some boiler antifreeze on order and will fill up the aqua hot overflow to the cold level before I try to pressurize it that way.  Is there another way to pressurize the cooling system as you suggest.

I was fortunate enough to meet Mark Crick (motorcade mechanic) while I was at Foretravel and he is at the factory now and talked to an aqua hot  installer, seemed to think it is to the aqua hot engine preheat.  It will be a few days until the boiler antifreeze comes in.

Juice- it is, feel like I got a great deal on it but won't know until I see how much I have to spend on it in the next year. Ran great for 1k mile ride home.  Cruised at 70mph and got 8.5 mpg at 1550 rpms. Has a lot of cosmetic issues. And was very dirty, but it is really shaping up nicely. 

Thought it was Tommy;  I looked at this coach hard and if I purchased, I was going to renovate the interior.  However, just didn't want to get into that much of a project, even though I could do all the work.  Good luck and hope you find your leak source!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #8
Joe,
After we scrubbed for 2 weeks everything actually looks really good as is.  We felt like we only had to change things if we wanted to.  We are making some cosmetic improvements. We've already re-covered the headboard ourselves. We will take on the valances next. We decided to replace the carpet instead of using hardwood. We've changed some light fixtures to update the look a little.  Switching out the backup camera and monitor currently.  I thought I was going to have to spend 15-20 Coach bucks when I bought it to bring it back to life but unless I find something major wrong mechanically i will spend way less. So to summarize, I'm tickled to death!  My kids are making fun of me because it's all I want to talk about😳. Life is good, now that I am a Foretravel owner and Motorcade member!

1999 Bounder 2000-2008
Bardstown, KY

Reply #9
Tommy, if you have a 2000 coach with an Aqua Hot you do not need boiler antifreeze.  The AquaHot installed in your coach uses engine coolant.

Be sure to find the AH model number and make sure you are using the right coolant.  Call Rudy if you are not sure.

Reply #10
Roger, thanks for the advice, looks like Rudy already beat you to the punch  :)).  He sent me a private message and told me to call, which I will do later this morning.  You guys are great, Thanks again for all the help!

1999 Bounder 2000-2008
Bardstown, KY

Reply #11
I'm sure Rudy will tell you the  A-H main tank level is most critical rather than the overflow tank level.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #12
The original question has opened a whole lot of questions for me about my understanding of my own AH/engine/fluid situation.  So, I opened my manuals again.  In my 1997 U320...

1. My AH uses green coolant. 
2. According to the FT owner's manual, my engine requires low silicate ethylene glycol.  The first option I found for this was pink -- Peak Fleet Charge.  My current engine coolant is green.  Different brand of low silicate? 
3. In my AH, the service manual states the loop to the engine uses the engine's own coolant running through a heat exchanger in the AH.  The fact that the engine pump sits all by itself in the stainless box and the plumbing is not in the same manifold seems to enforce this.

I guess I'm thinking a few things:

1. The color of the leak may be inconclusive until you know both the color of your AH fluid and your engine coolant.
2. If your AH uses engine coolant for the engine loop, the AH fluid doesn't come into play here.
3. When the leak is fixed, you should probably figure out what fluids you should have in each location.

I'm glad the Austin Blue Bell coach sold.  It sounds like it's in good hands. 
Rick and Donna
1997 U320 4000 WTBI Build 5152 "Molesley"

Reply #13
Had a mechanic look at my leaky gv320 and he confirmed a coolant leak.  From a hose and from the radiator seals that I didn't know was leaking because I had the back right corner parked over grass.  He said it was probably from sitting for 5 years that caused the seals to dry rot and leak.  He said they make a kit to replace the seals and is going to get it ordered and pull the radiator and replace the seals.  I know several of you have been through the whole radiator issue of a leak before and most of the time would have been better putting in a new radiator.  Will replacing the seals work or will it end up being a total rebuild?  He is also changing out several hoses that were bulging and dryer filter.  Anything else you suggest him looking at?  I trust this guy since he has worked on many buses and now works as a mechanic for a 300+ trucking company but thought you guys would have valuable input on this issue.

Thanks in advance

1999 Bounder 2000-2008
Bardstown, KY

Reply #14
Tommy,

He/you, not us will be in a position to determine if the core of the radiator is in good shape (worthy of rebuilding) or needs replacement.

Biggest factors are whether the coach had been exposed to salt-- either up north in winter or along a coastal area.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #15
1. He said they make a kit to replace the seals and is going to get it ordered and pull the radiator and replace the seals. 
2.  would have been better putting in a new radiator.
3.  Will replacing the seals work or will it end up being a total rebuild?

Tommy,
1. He must be talking about end tank gaskets.
2. If the core don't have a bunch of pin holes and the fins are not rotted from road chemicals it will work just as good as a new one.  You can have the core cleaned and rodded while the tanks are off and if it test good it will transfer heat just as good as a new one.
3. We have done tank gaskets with good luck.
3a.  If the core is found full of pin holes or cant be cleaned then a new core can be fitted on the old tanks.
The raidator shop can direct you as to what is best for your exact job.

Pamela & Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #16
Anti freeze has a useful life-  it can be tested, but given the amount of time sitting and in the absence of a known previous flush and fill date I strongly suggest that after you have confirmed as best as possible the integrity of the system and the recent repairs,  start with flushing the system, then drain and fill as directed in owners manual with an approved coolant for your coach.

If you have to go back into the system for more repairs (iE radiator subsequently shows leaks or issues) , simply save the "new" coolant for reuse later.
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #17
Would price a new one from Atlas now so you have a price idea.Not sure which dryer you have but to be on the safe side I would
get a reman and not just change a filter as there are many moving parts in your dryer that wear out.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #18
Winner winner chicken dinner, David S with the correct diagnosis.

Thanks for everyone's useful info from my limited description and expertise in general mechanical maintenance.  This seems weird to me and maybe someone can explain it to me.  The water pump didn't leak under pressure or when the engine was running (or maybe it was and just being burned off) only after it was shut down and sat overnight.  But I do have all new radiator hoses now and hopefully it will be fixed by the end of the day, as we are trying to leave on 4000m trip tomorrow for spring break to several Utah NParks.  Fingers crossed that I  won't be needing your help on the trip.  ;D 

1999 Bounder 2000-2008
Bardstown, KY

Reply #19
The gaskets and o-rings shrink when cold and expand when hot,that explains the leak,just make sure you have every hose you need
ahead of time before you change any,are you changing coolant at this time?
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #20
The engine pre-heat uses the engine coolant. Not sure why green would be in a 2000 coach. Texaco extended life was factory and it is pink when diluted.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #21
The engine pre-heat uses the engine coolant. Not sure why green would be in a 2000 coach. Texaco extended life was factory and it is pink when diluted.

Of course in  the last 19 years, we have no idea who put what coolant in there.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #22
Of course in  the last 19 years, we have no idea who put what coolant in there.
I was curious why the leak was pink and he said the engine coolant was green and the AH had boiler coolant in it.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean