Skip to main content

Topic: Cold Climate Use of a Foretravel Motorhome with a Hydro-Hot Heating System (Read 953 times) previous topic - next topic

Cold Climate Use of a Foretravel Motorhome with a Hydro-Hot Heating System
Can a Foretravel Motorhome with a Hydro-Hot Heating System be used in cold weather conditions without any risk of damaging the water distribution system and holding tanks ( such as freezing water lines, cracking water lines, or damaging holding...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Cold Climate Use of a Foretravel Motorhome with a Hydro-Hot Heating System
Reply #1
If you mean Aqua-Hot, I have used ours into the single digits at night. It would not be safe to store at those temps but using it keeps everything from freezing on our coach.

Reply #2
If you mean Aqua-Hot, I have used ours into the single digits at night. It would not be safe to store at those temps but using it keeps everything from freezing on our coach.

Craneman,

The 2007...

Reply #3
John,

We have the larger Aqua Hot unit but camp with a couple that has the Hydro Hot unit.  We (us and them) have been in weather down to 0 overnight (for a week) with no problem. The day time temps never got above 20 during that time. Put it over...

Reply #4
Agree with the others. When I was full timing, we saw 0 to -4  eight nights in a row, didn't get above 10 for the high. Kept the coach at 70 and the bays at 50. We stayed more comfortable then than what my bricks and sticks now do at 70. One of...

Reply #5
A few years ago I had my coach ( with AquaHot) in freezing weather for about a week and two things froze up: the ice maker control valve which is in the back of the fridge behind the exterior access panel and a water drain valve mounted right...

Reply #6
The AquaHots in the U320 coaches are bigger capacity than the HydroHot in the Nimbus.  Maybe Rudy will tell us the differences and how it will affect cold weather use.

Reply #7
The AquaHots in the U320 coaches are bigger capacity than the HydroHot in the Nimbus.  Maybe Rudy will tell us the differences and how it will affect cold weather use.

Once asked...

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Reply #8
When Vehicle Heating Systems, whose name has been changed to Aqua Hot Heating Systems, started to manufacure a smaller, less expensive heater, they called it the Hydro Hot.

The Hydro Hot model is now the 450 DE model.  These models have a 5 gallon...

Reply #9
Can anyone answer this question, we are looking for a U320 because it has the Aqua Hot heating system, We would be happy with a U295 if the gas heat keeps the coach as warm in temperatures described above, (-4F). Is the Aqua hot that much better?...

Reply #10
I had an older motorhome with a conventional propane furnace and now a 1995 U320 with an Aqua-Hot. There is no comparison. I will never own another motorhome without a large-capacity Aqua-Hot!

Reply #11
Folks seem to be pretty happy with their Aqua Hots when they are working.  A fair bit of complexity to them compared to the propane heaters.  They require maintenance and are not tolerant of sitting for long periods without being exercised.  They...

Reply #12
I realize I left your question unaddressed, operating in -4 degree temps.  I have no doubt the propane heaters would do the job, but there are so many other items you will be addressing operating in those temps.  Don't know the BTU output of...

Reply #13
We were in some single digit temps with our Aqua Hot and zero problems heating the coach and the water heater.  Love that system when it was working!

Reply #14
Irish,

To answer your question, we don't have an AH, just a single propane furnace.  Cold weather camping use depends on how cold it is and how willing you are to make the coach cold weather tolerant.  I did this post 6 years ago (when we were...

Reply #15
Rich
Thanks for that, I had read your cold weather camping description. Would it be fair to say that tha bays do not stay as hot as the coach and the plumbing there would be more likely to freeze than the living quarters plumbing?

Reply #16
David, I can't answer for the propane furnace keeping the bays warm since this is the only coach I have ever owned. With the Aqua-Hot, it has a separate zone set for the basement with its own thermostat. I cant remember for certain, but it seems...

Reply #17
I would say that in general, the bays are colder than the coach with a propane furnace.  With the propane furnace(s), there is ducted heat to the left and right water bays.  But only when the furnace is running in the coach.  They aren't as well...

Reply #18
1.Would it be fair to say that tha bays do not stay as hot as the coach
2. plumbing there would be more likely to freeze than the living quarters plumbing?
David,
1. Yes.
2. To just answer your...

Reply #19
The coldest we have overnighted in our FT was -18° F in Bloomington, IL in a Walmart perking lot.  AquaHot on diesel, no land line, we ran the generator for a couple hours in the evening and an hour in the morning.  Ran the AquaHot engine preheat...

Reply #20
Thanks All for your comments, sounds like I will do better with the Aqua Hot rather than the gas furnaces, I hate to have to winterize the coach for 6 weeks of possible serious cold before we head out and go south!
Really appreciate your help
David

Reply #21
David, Aqua Hot or LP furnaces if you are where it is cold enough to freeze water you should winterize your coach.  We do ours even though we head south in two months.  Once you have been through the process it is pretty simple and takes an hour...

Reply #22

I hate to have to winterize the coach for 6 weeks of possible serious cold before we head out and go south!

It makes sense to winterize if you will be having more than a few days of...

Reply #23
The aqua hot's 1500 watt 120 volt element so keep the tanks and front of the coach and the bath over freezing.  Might never shut off the fans.  Maybe set really low?

• jcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
The aqua hot's 1500 watt 120 volt element so keep the tanks and front of the coach and the bath over freezing.  Might never shut off the fans.  Maybe set really low?
Can't say about real low...