Skip to main content
Topic: What is this on my battery tray (Read 544 times) previous topic - next topic

What is this on my battery tray

Since purchasing my 1997 U320 three months ago, it's been a journey of discovery figuring out all the new and wonderful things in our motorhome that I've never seen before.  While diagnosing a starting problem, I removed my chassis batteries for load testing to discover a "thing" at the back of my battery tray.  We're looking through the chassis battery door.  The empty tray is at the bottom and the rear six-pack is at the top (never seen one of those either).  What's the thing in the middle with the thick hose that looks like it's going to the transmission?
Rick and Donna
1997 U320 4000 WTBI Build 5152 "Molesley"

Re: What is this on my battery tray

Reply #1
It is what is called a hydraulic accumulator,works with the retarder,the hose in the picture looks like one end may be seeping some
fluid.I would get some degreaser and clean everything in that picture real good,rinse off and then dry with a leaf blower,would even
do the six pack but make sure you blow all the rinse water off.Then repaint with Rust Bullet paint.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #2
I don't feel so bad not recognizing that!  Thanks!

I totally agree on the cleanup.  There's going to be a lot of that going on over the next few years.
Rick and Donna
1997 U320 4000 WTBI Build 5152 "Molesley"

Reply #3
Original gunk works very well.  Rinse off. Smells a bit.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #4
Rick,

Those hoses catch  grease that is slung off the driveshaft U joint. So the trick is to grease the zerts but not over do it. The trans temp probe is in that same area and when the dash gage starts acting up this sender will most likely be covered with gunk.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #5
Rick ours is 20 coaches from yours.  Spent six years fixing and upgrading.  If you need help spending your money let me know.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4