Skip to main content

Topic: Patching Sunbrella awning? (Read 287 times) previous topic - next topic

Patching Sunbrella awning?
On my main awning I have a spot that is starting to wear through where the door opens.  I bought some Sunbrella fabric that matches and want to attach a piece to keep the awning from ripping through.
What is the best adhesive to use to glue the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Patching Sunbrella awning?
Reply #1
This worked great for our awning and patio chairs: I used a heavy-duty tape to afix it (both sides) and removed the tape (carefully) after overnight.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Give Zip Dee a call, I beleave that is the way they will tell you to patch it. Mine has a small place in where the PO let the door hit it. It's been like that the 14 years I've had it.

Reply #3
Color match duct tape for me both sides. Been 3 years

• AC7880
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
This worked great for our awning and patio chairs: I used a heavy-duty tape to afix it (both sides) and removed the tape (carefully) after overnight.
I used that same product 3 days ago on a...

Reply #5
I bought a awl, thinking I had to sew the patch on. Nope, just put the goop on, tape it and I saved a bundle on new chairs. This was three years ago, the pic of the patch was just now; still holding great!  ^.^d

Reply #6
Those chairs are a very different material than Sunbrella.  Not suggesting the same repair technique would not work on both-- I have no idea.

Reply #7
Those chairs are a very different material than Sunbrella.  Not suggesting the same repair technique would not work on both-- I have no idea.
Nor do I, the patch I made on the awning was on...

Reply #8
I thought Airstream also used Zip Dee, so very likely Sunbrella as well. Guess they could have speced another material, but can't imagine why.

Been using Sunbrella on our sailboats for a couple of decades-- great stuff.

Oh, and to clean it, ONLY,...

Reply #9
Airstream DID use Zip Dee, ours was a '83, so maybe it was Sunbrella. The patch worked perfect!!

Reply #10
I glued a small piece together using silicone adhesive.  Seems I remember reading somewhere that silicone will glue Sunbrella.  I'll post in a few days how it works.

Reply #11

Reply #12
Ues Tear Aid Type A.
John M
John,

I am not familiar with this product, so I have no knowledge about its effectiveness.  However, I have dealt with Sailrite off and on for over 25 years and...