Skip to main content
Topic: New Captains Chairs in 2019  (Read 737 times) previous topic - next topic

New Captains Chairs in 2019

After 5 months and 8500 miles in 2018 we've decided the single best next upgrade wil" be new captains chairs.  Our trip to the Midwest this fall will make a stop at Bradd & Hall convenient.  Our 2000 U270 34' has Flexsteel chairs (appear to be the Greely model) and the passenger chair is not the wide version and does not have a footrest. At this point the Scopan model seems to have the ergonomic design we're attracted to.  We'd most likely add the power lumbar option and the electric footrest for the passenger.

We have considered re-foaming but the condition of our seats doesn't seem to warrant that expenditure. And, we'd consider Mexico but have no immediate plans to head that direction and a single purpose trip's cost would make this option impractical.

https://www.braddandhall.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1106&idcategory=71

A few questions we're hoping forum members can address:

1.  Would we need or want a new 6way power seat option?
2.  Is the base & mounting installed by FT likely to mate successfully with a new Flexsteel chair?
3.  Forum search discussions seem to indicate that shoulder belts would not be available from Flexsteel since they were not originally installed. Is this still true?
4.  We're attracted to high quality fabric vs Ultraleather...less sweat.  Not sure we've ever seen cloth captains chairs in a FT.
5.  Any other matters to consider?

Finally, I've read that FT and MOT may have "take outs" from new(er) coaches.  Who are the contact folks there to contact?

Thanks

Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Re: New Captains Chairs in 2019

Reply #1
If you are going to get two new chairs - consider the "PowerChief"  air ride chair option for the driver - a search of the forum archives will bring up a few threads on those of us who have converted.

Foretravel remodel shop foreman is David Flanagan - David will know if there are any seats available -  seems the only way to talk to David live is call a service advisor and ask to have David call you back, going to his voice mail seems to be ignored...

MOT remodel supervisor is Keith Davis - their upholstery person (Trina?) is turning out some very nice work - and of course the factory does nice work as well, Call MOT and ask for Keith

Additionally "Infinity" is a shop that does upholstery and other services in Nacogdoches, search the archives, the feedback here on the forum has been mixed.

New Villa from Brad and Hall will be approx. the same $$ as Refoam and Recover your current seats, but the latter option may be less expensive overall since installing new chairs will likely have some install costs if the bases are different bolt patterns.

For the record - I LOVE my PowerCheif.....heated seat, cooled seat, air ride, massage, power everything and it still swivels for use as a chair in the coach. Pricey....., plus I had FOT reupholster to match my coach upholstery - so an upgrade for those who drive long distances and are likely to keep their coach a while. Or like me, I just like to upgrade my coach, and plan on keeping a few more years.

Good luck, and keep us informed of what you decide
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #2
We replaced our OE captain's shares last year and went with the Flexsteel Scopan model covered in Ultraleather.
Primary reason  for replacement was the lack of support with the OE chairs.
The new chairs required new power units and bases. I gave them the mounting bolt dimensions and they sent me the correct bases. The chairs come assembled. Cost was about $3800.00 if I member correctly. That includes the power footrest for the co-pilot chair.
I would love to have the Knoedler air ride but the cost was not in our budget. The new Flexsteel chairs are a huge improvement in comport and lateral support as the side bolsters are much better. The seat bases come with lap belt mounting as I was told 3 point belts were not available with the Scopan chairs.
I did the removal and install myself with a little help from a friend getting the old chairs out and the new chairs in.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve
Steve & Sandy
2003 U320 4220 WCDS, build#6160
Motorcade #17794
USMC '67-'71

Reply #3
I love our Flexsteel's, power air lumbar, butt warmers and all. Power everything. 5K installed, thanks to PO

Enjoy, Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #4
We got a bid from Keith D @ MOT  last week for a rebuild of our OEM -95 seats, Stuffing and the cool skins were right at $4K for the pilot and wide-screamer/buddy seat. Seems a bit high, right?
Paul & Kathleen
1995 U320c SE 40'
Build 4681 --Cummins M11 /17511
"That Irish Girl"
Red MINI " 40"

Reply #5
You can get 2 new Flexsteels with all the trimmings for that.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.