Skip to main content

Topic: Stick in the Mud (Read 711 times) previous topic - next topic

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Stick in the Mud
See the photos of the aftermath and tow truck.

Just some advice for Foretravelers:

- Don't park on grass that could be saturated and become muddy
- Do park on a hard surface
- Wood planks may not work

The left dually drive tires and steering tire got...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Stick in the Mud
Reply #1
Glad you got out ok Tim. 

I might add be careful in sandy areas as we can sink very quickly.  I know, it happened last summer in Michigan.  Coach Net to the rescue.                 ^.^d

Reply #2
Need a posittrac or a way to apply brakes to left dual maybe letting the air out of the pot. May have been able to drive out. Some 2wd off road vehicles can operate left or right brakes on the drive axles. Best place to be stranded is at home.

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Could applying partial brakes have helped?

Would locking the mud-stuck brake, using the air chamber spring release bolt enable the non-mud-stuck (on the pavement) side to engage and DRAG rig out of the mud?

Just trying to think outside the box.

Reply #4
We had a very similar situation last November at our daughter's new house.  Parked next to their garage on firm ground but after 3 days of rain and filling the fresh water tank (silly me) the rig just sunk as we slowly tried to pull it out. 

We...

Reply #5
You mean cage the right rear side dual brake, leave parking brake ON to the left and pull forward

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Oh yes, I got it backward. Caging the non-stuck side would allow it to move freely. Guess I'd have to cage all but the stuck drive wheel.

Reply #7
My coach parking brake is rear axle only, yours is probably the same way. Don't want to risk locking the steer axle tires if you lose all air.

• Keith and Joyce
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Try Googling "Traction Mats"  all the UPS trucks carry them in our area.  They work well if used properly.  You will need the heavy duty ones.  The trick is to use them before you dig a hole.  As soon as the wheels spin put them out.

Keith

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
By the way, the tow truck driver decided to connect his chains to the front axle beam instead of my suggested structural element to the right of the generator. I agreed with him because:

- No messed-up fiberglass
- Forces are better down low, where...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Will look under coach today but it connects to the main frame/structure via the air bags and torque rods,5 rods in front and 5 in
back,(2 lower,2 upper running lenthwise and 1 in the middle running sideways.)

Reply #11
Just thinking out loud:
Force would go through the king pins/bushings then the torque rods/bushings to front chassis structure which is bolted at the front bulkhead to the coach center structure which is bolted at the rear bulkhead to the rear...

Reply #12
I don't know about Foretravels, but Wanderlodges and class 8 trucks recommend towing from factory designated points, not the front axle. I don't think the front suspension is designed to withstand the lateral force. At the very least you could...

Reply #13
Might we worthwhile for someone to contact James Triana for his recommendation on tow attachment points. I trust that this is not the first time a Foretravel was pulled out of the mud and--- more-- I really trust James's considered knowledge of...

Reply #14
front axle must transmit all braking loads to the chassis or vice versa, along with cornering loads.  That being said, these loads are typically transferred close to the wheel and not in the middle of the axle. Middle of the axle is just along...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
With the weight of the diesel engine in the rear of our coaches, the rear wheels do most of the braking, as those of us who have replaced the brake pads can attest.
Our 1989 coach, with 84,000 miles on the odometer, had front pads that looked like...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Here's the text from my owner's manual:

"Tow chain attachments must be made directly to the vehicle axle. The chains must be routed under the bottom edge of the bumper in such a manner that they do not come in contact with suspension, steering,...

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
I just tried a search " how to tow", after reading the above. Mostly about towing a car. I was once stuck in a very muddy field after record breaking rain in Texas. I was planning on getting towed from the front, but didn't want any damage to the...

Reply #18
I am glad you posted this up, as I too have found out how to get a Foretravel Stuck....and real good too! I was visiting my nieces place in Tennessee a while back, near Nashville.  They have a Farm with 50+Acres, and invited us to stay at their...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Shortly after we brought our coach home, I decided to drive it onto the front yard to fill the water tank. I failed to notice a wet area, and got the front stuck. CoachNet set a tow truck out fairly quickly. After looking it over, I put a regular...

Reply #20
How do you attach chains to get pulled out of mud, etc. ???

While I have no Real World Experience with attaching Snow Chains to something this heavy, and in a ditch, I do think it is a Valid...

• AC7880
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Try Googling "Traction Mats"  all the UPS trucks carry them in our area.  They work well if used properly.  You will need the heavy duty ones.  The trick is to use them before you dig...

Reply #22
You could install more common drive tires if you frequently end up in places where you are worried about getting stuck. There are tradeoffs but having steer tires all around does make you very alot more likely to have the wheel spin and start...