Skip to main content
Topic: Why I bought an older Foretravel (Read 4110 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Why I bought an older Foretravel

Reply #50
Why I bought an older Foretravel
Just can't quit em'.
jor

Duct Tape Hobble System: The DTHS will be held in reserve.

Reply #51
We are very impressed with the build quality of our 93 GV and knew it was unlike any SOB the moment we walked in it.  What's most impressed us though is the community of people on this forum!  If you have issues, you're in good hands with the folks here!  Also, our coach has a screen door, and from all the talk about screen doors I  guess that's a rarity?
Hannah and Tyler Phillips
1993 U280 Grand Villa AKA Pearl
Basement Air
Cummins 6CT8.3
Build Number 4196

Reply #52
We are very impressed with the build quality of our 93 GV and knew it was unlike any SOB the moment we walked in it.  What's most impressed us though is the community of people on this forum!  If you have issues, you're in good hands with the folks here!  Also, our coach has a screen door, and from all the talk about screen doors I  guess that's a rarity?
We, too, have a screen door!.  ^.^d  Wow!
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #53
   We qualified for collector plates this year, the new plates are good for 5 yrs with a saving of 37%+ over paying year to year.
88 Grand Villa 36' ORED 3208 (throwaway)Cat.
 Build # 3150
Happiness is the maximum agreement of reality and desire.

Reply #54
    We qualified for collector plates this year, the new plates are good for 5 yrs with a saving of 37%+ over paying year to year.

In our state, collector plates are only to be used for test drive, show , parade, or service.

We have them on 4 of our collector cars.

Everyone questions me about driving with them some where other then above, but I say, "heck every where I go it's a car show, because people ask questions".

Cheers
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #55
 Considering I pay $50.00 a year for registration, I like what Arizona offers! I saw a blurb that I'm going to research;  you can buy on-line, a plate with your year on it, and DMV will register it as yours. pretty cool, I like those old AZ plates!
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #56
I believe there are some use restrictions related to collector plates in our state, however I have never heard of anyone running afoul of the law. Case in point, I drove a '56 GMC as my work truck for years and only had collector plates on it ..... wish I still had it,like the '65 Cutlass with the SGJ motor or the '65 Ford ranch special and on and on all with collector plates.
88 Grand Villa 36' ORED 3208 (throwaway)Cat.
 Build # 3150
Happiness is the maximum agreement of reality and desire.

Reply #57
Recently bought a 1987 Foretravel Gran Villa with 75 000 miles on the coach, 3000 miles on the tranny 40,000 miles on the Ford 460 engine. It has a brand new Dometic fridge, a brand new 5500 watt generator, new water heater, new front and rear shocks and 6000 dollars worth of brand new Goodyear tires.The only bummer I found is the rear air conditioner in the roof needs work ,it puts out cool air but not cold air. I honestly don't think the seller knew about it.Thankfully the front air conditioner works well. The seller made me drive the coach for about an hour on the highway and the back roads before he would sell it to me. He said he didn't want to sell it to someone who couldn't drive it safely. That tells me he loved the coach and put his heart into keeping it reliable. I looked on the internet for comparable units and the price he was asking was  fair.I love this coach, to me that's all that matters, not what other coach owners think. This is my third RV. What I learned is if you love your unit then whatever you have to put into it to keep it running is worth it. I find the older units seem to be better built. There are some exceptions to this rule. I'm sure there are people who will disagree with me and that's OK. Bottom line is what makes you happy and of course not getting ripped off. There is a balance between those two. There is a line to where you are paying too much for too little. Hope this helps, just my devalued two cents worth.
EMT living in Missouri. Recently purchased 1987 Gran Villa 36 Ft. long,460 Ford engine with 40,000 miles on it, new tranny has 3000 miles on it, coach has 75000 miles on it, new 5000 watt genny new fridge, new tires. Am both excited and scared out of my wits at the size of this beast. Love it but need time to become accustomed to it's size.  I'm sure it will take time to experience all the secrets this RV has to offer. Any and all advice gratefully accepted.

Reply #58
Recently bought a 1987 Foretravel Gran Villa with 75 000 miles on the coach, 3000 miles on the tranny 40,000 miles on the Ford 460 engine. It has a brand new Dometic fridge, a brand new 5500 watt generator, new water heater, new front and rear shocks and 6000 dollars worth of brand new Goodyear tires.The only bummer I found is the rear air conditioner in the roof needs work ,it puts out cool air but not cold air. I honestly don't think the seller knew about it.Thankfully the front air conditioner works well. The seller made me drive the coach for about an hour on the highway and the back roads before he would sell it to me. He said he didn't want to sell it to someone who couldn't drive it safely. That tells me he loved the coach and put his heart into keeping it reliable. I looked on the internet for comparable units and the price he was asking was  fair.I love this coach, to me that's all that matters, not what other coach owners think. This is my third RV. What I learned is if you love your unit then whatever you have to put into it to keep it running is worth it. I find the older units seem to be better built. There are some exceptions to this rule. I'm sure there are people who will disagree with me and that's OK. Bottom line is what makes you happy and of course not getting ripped off. There is a balance between those two. There is a line to where you are paying too much for too little. Hope this helps, just my devalued two cents worth.

Congratulations.  We are the 2nd owner of our 85 454 Chevy Foretravel Grand Villa 33...  took us almost a year to find the right brand, coach and seller... no fancy computers, slides, aqua hot, motorized steps... just a keep it simple coach.. 40,000 original miles and we have all maintenance records..  post photos when you can. 
1986 Grand Villa, 454 Chevrolet, 33 SBI tag axle
Build # 2658
2nd owner, original owner was Newman/Freeman Racing, racer Bill Freeman and actor/racer Paul Newman

Reply #59
Some photos of my new rig
EMT living in Missouri. Recently purchased 1987 Gran Villa 36 Ft. long,460 Ford engine with 40,000 miles on it, new tranny has 3000 miles on it, coach has 75000 miles on it, new 5000 watt genny new fridge, new tires. Am both excited and scared out of my wits at the size of this beast. Love it but need time to become accustomed to it's size.  I'm sure it will take time to experience all the secrets this RV has to offer. Any and all advice gratefully accepted.

Reply #60
More photos to share

Reply #61
Beautiful coach Gray Wolf!
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #62
Grey Wolff,

Nice coach! Sure is nice to have an easy to replace or repair 460 Ford up front. You could easily have a spare on the garage floor. Looks like the PO took great care of it.

A little different coach but we have a real N.A. Grey Wolf that travels with us.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #63
Pierce  ----  Is that "wolf" part Siberian Husky??  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #64
Previous owner installed a double electric fan configuration in the rear right in front of the radiator to help keep the engine cool. Also has a fan behind the transmission cooler and one behind the oil cooler. Hopefully this system will make a difference when  it gets warm. Drove it three hours from Arkansas to Missouri and didn't have any temperature problems. My co-pilot enjoyed the passenger seat view on the trip.

Reply #65
Pierce  ----  Is that "wolf" part Siberian Husky??  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Wolf breeders usually put a little husky or malamute back a few generations so they are legal is most states. A wolf has stripes unless white or black and can't curl it's tail like the others. The wolf nose is quite a bit longer and it has a much stronger bite than any other dog. Wolves howl and don't bark unless they are around a dog for a while. Also taller and longer but 88 lbs is the average male for a Yellowstone wolf. Koda is almost exactly that. There was a black one in Y at 144 lbs and a Russian held the record at 172 lbs.

In Alaska, there are a lot of mixes. The sled people tie a female in heat to a tree at night and the wolf pack comes along and several months later, there is a super smart wolf/husky/malamute mix.

While the wolf is the smartest of the dog family and in an outdoor environment, can out think many people, it is the lowest on the obedience scale and will not obey at all other than food time. They try and run the show. Koda has done appearances with the designers on the popular TV show, Project Runway.

The only ill tempered wolves are in the movies. Very shy but they don't attack people. Great companions but on an equal basis.  For a better understanding, read the great book https://www.amazon.com/Never-Cry-Wolf-Amazing-Arctic/dp/0316881791

Koda is going on 14 years old. And yes, he came from a wolf breeder.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #66
Another good option for additional cooling on an OREG (Oshkosh Rear Engine Gas) is a front radiator.

You already have hoses going to the dash heater core.  Two "T's with ball valves and an aftermarket radiator can make a lot of difference.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #67
Maybe even use the OE AC condenser .