Skip to main content

Topic: MDC Shade Wiring (Read 544 times) previous topic - next topic

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
MDC Shade Wiring
I'm thinking about installing an MCD windshield shade as our old accordion deal gave up the ghost. I haven't been able to find any installation instructions that address the wiring. How is it wired? I was thinking about installing the switch(es)...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: MDC Shade Wiring
Reply #1
If you are installing both day and night shade then you need 2 SPDT momentary contact switches.  Press and hold one way for up, the other way for down.  Release and the shade stops.  You only need a + 12v source and a ground as well as an...

Reply #2
Jor

Our switches are mounted below the retarder using the blank switch plates (34' like yours).  Easy to grab power behind the instruments.  This allows easy use while driving. I can measure our wedges if you like.  Roger turned us on to the no...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Thanks Roger and Randy. That's what I needed to know. So I need a switched and an unswitched 12v source. I think I'll run wires (2 hots) from the circuit breaker panel (in front of the pax seat) and a ground over and up that pillar race deal. The...

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Reply #4
Jor,

I have a Magna Shade front windshield cover held in place with magnets on the inside of the windshield and magnets in pockets on the shade.  I put it up with included pole, no ladder, no snaps, no holes in my front cap.

Plus, one can insert...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Plus, one can insert four 1/2 inch PVC pipe covered with foam pipe insulation between the cover and the windshield. 
That's a great idea. My snap on is pretty tight but I might give that a try if I stay with it.
jor

Reply #6
We use both shades almost every day.  The day shade for sun block and privacy.  The kind of shade Rudy uses is a good alternative.  It probably does a better job of keeping heat out.  The space between the windshield and the shade gets warm.  But...

• Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:34:14 pm by Roger & Susan in Home2

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
 Thanks, Roger. Can anyone else share their measurement with me. I think the front caps on these babies are all the same from mid 90s up into the 2000s. I would think the MCD measurement would be the same for all of us. Thanks.
jor

Reply #8
FYI, many years ago before we ever heard about MCD, we replaced our OEM front shades with a single wide roller shade with a bedroom light-blocking fabric. We mostly push the rolled-down fabric toward windshield, so we have full use of dash when...

Reply #9
We use the standard design MCD front shade.  It's split to fit over the dash hump.  If we tilt the dash heater vents  all the way forward, the heat isn't blocked and the vents keep the shade toward the windshield and allows plenty of dash area...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
we replaced our OEM front shades with a single wide roller shade with a bedroom light-blocking fabric.
I had one kinda like that for awhile but it was the old style spring loaded pull and stop. I could never get it to lock consistently and...

Reply #11
We had our MCD's measured and installed at MCD. Day and night shades on all windows but motorized up front.  Day shades significantly cut heat and ALL ability to see in from the outside. I use day shade while driving at a level that reduces...

Reply #12
Rest of pics.  Overall width of ours is 97 3/4...94" on tape plus 3 3/4" on tape itself.

By the way, and this may be assumed, there's a metal rod in the base of both front shades that runs the entire width at the base.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Randy, thanks for the great photos. I'll have fun making them. I am an awful woodworker but I always enjoy doing my wood butchery.
jor

Reply #14
Ours are made from 1/4 plastic sheet.  Edges wrapped with 2" "fuzzy" side Velcro with high heat adhesive.  Light and somewhat flexible but rigid in place. 

Reply #15
Jor

Our switches are mounted below the retarder using the blank switch plates (34' like yours).  Easy to grab power behind the instruments.  This allows easy use while driving. I can measure...

Reply #16
John,  with a hump in the dash lots of shades have an extra flap below the normal bottom edge of the shade and sun screen.  They put a couple cuts from the bottom of the flap up towards the normal bottom in front of the hump so the flap "fits"...

Reply #17
When MCD installed our front shade, they attached L-shaped plastic guides to the windshield with double faced tape.  They act as shade guides to eliminate any need for wedges.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
L-shaped plastic guides

Brett, could you post a photo of your guides when you get a chance. Thanks.
jor

Reply #19
Does the Magna come in a light color?  Incredible magnets on them.

Reply #20
Roger,
Thanks for the detail explanation.  Looking forward to do this modification on my coach.  Tired of the accordion shade.
John M.

Reply #21
When MCD installed our front shade, they attached L-shaped plastic guides to the windshield with double faced tape.  They act as shade guides to eliminate any need for wedges.
It sounds as...

Reply #22
David,
Yes, my shade has a flap at the bottom(see photo).
  • Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:10:07 am by wolfe10

Reply #23
Here's the other one.

Reply #24
David,
Yes, my shade has a flap at the bottom(see photo).
Thanks Brett for the datailed pictures. Definitely considering the MCD front shade and appreciate seeing the different possibilities!