Skip to main content

Topic: Firefly Oasis AGM carbon foam batteries? (Read 486 times) previous topic - next topic

Firefly Oasis AGM carbon foam batteries?
Hello all ... 

I've been pondering my options with respect to replacing the 2 Lifeline GPL-4DA batteries I've got in my 40' 08 Nimbus and I'm looking for any comments on my thought process as well as see if there's anyone with first hand...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Firefly Oasis AGM carbon foam batteries?
Reply #1
This is first I've heard of these batteries, which surprises me if they really are as superior as is claimed. I may be overly skeptical, but I tend to steer away from things that seem "too good to be true"--and these batteries appear to be in...

Reply #2
Firefly was a spinoff from Caterpillar Corp.

Firefly International Energy - History Of Innovation

I have no idea (plus or minus) on how it has worked.

Reply #3
You might try (4) Lifeline 6v (or other brand) L16 batteries in the same foot print.

Reply #4
David ... I'm with you on the skepticism and why I'm reaching out for some first hand info.

Brett, thanks for the link ... I hadn't seen this and it provides a bit more specific information. 

I'm going to spend some time trolling other RV owner...

Reply #5
Dan, how much space do you have for batteries?  Vertical height?  There are lots of battery choices.

Reply #6

Reply #7
Dan, how much space do you have for batteries?  Vertical height?  There are lots of battery choices.

Roger, I've got some room to play with ... my batteries share the compartment...

Reply #8

Reply #9
Dan, you might be able to get four Fullriver DC400-6 L16 sized batteries in where the two 4Ds are now.
Fullriver Battery DC400-6 Product Information
830 amp hrs total for the four.  123 lb each.  7 yr warranty.

I used Fullriver because of the...

• Keith and Joyce
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
The short answer is that they use carbon foam which is carbon "sponge" like material that is almost pure carbon which, being a 'foam' has lots of little pockets in it and as it's stiff makes an excellent separator and insulator between the plates...

Reply #11
Dan, 

Thanks for bring up the FF battery, had never heard of it.  My coach has two 8G8D house batteries.  I was trying to figure out how  the FF G31 would fit and work in my coach.  Seems like I would need 3 and there is not enough room for 3. ...

• kenhat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
If you want to see an entertaining way of making carbon foam see this guys web channel.  His language can be a little salty at times so lock up the wife and kiddies first.