Skip to main content
Topic: Jammed basement door (Read 674 times) previous topic - next topic

Jammed basement door

Can't open a basement door on my 95. Any easy way to get in there and adjust the closing/locking latch?

Had a crack repaired and lost the U on the door.
1995 U320
Build #4677
2011 Honda CRV

Re: Jammed basement door

Reply #1
Not easy, but can be done. Can you open it any? If so, maybe you can get an arm with a tool up and grab the bar that isn't releasing. All of the mechanisms are the same, so you can open the next bay and look at how that one goes together as you are trying to operate on the problem one.

If you have access to one of those snake cameras you may be able to see what's causing the problem and go from there.

Reply #2
Try banging on one end of the door or the other (where the latch pins are located) at the same time you turn the handle.  I keep our doors adjusted so they close very tightly.  Sometimes they are a little reluctant to open - percussive persuasion has always worked for me (so far...).

When you do get it open, take this incident as a gentle hint that you need to go around and lube/adjust all the bay door latch bits and pieces.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #3
As I hinted above, we did have this problem a year ago. We eventually got the door open with the help of the park maintenance guys. When we were at FOT in November we had them adjust and lube all of the doors. They did find a couple of "future" problems that won't be problems anymore.

Reply #4
I just noticed that is your propane bay in the photo.

Is there a vent opening in the floor of that bay?  If so, can you (or someone with long skinny arms) reach the locking linkage through the vent hole?

I bolted "anti-rat" expanded metal mesh over our propane bay vent opening, so this trick would not work on our coach.  :'(
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #5
Will check tomorrow thx
1995 U320
Build #4677
2011 Honda CRV

Reply #6
My chassis battery is covered by a similar door and hinge.  I could not open mine, and the tech simply pushed hard at the bottom to take pressure off the latch, while unlocking at the same time, and presto it opened.  Felt foolish, now I believe I have a built in anti theft door!
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #7
Can you use a screwdriver or something to push up on the weatherstripping to move it out of the way?
That might give you enough room to use a large screwdriver to manipulate the latch.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #8
maybe you can get an arm with a tool up and grab the bar that isn't releasing.

On my 95, I had the same problem with the door on the other side. I was able to pry it open enough to get a tool up there and pop the latch. Jack's push on the bottom sounds like a better way to go though!
jor

Reply #9
Put your head under the door area. Take a long screwdriver or thin metal strap (at least 12") and pop the rubber gasket out at the bottom so you can see the latch at the end its stuck.
Take the screw driver or metal strapping and push on the side latch arm. It should open.
OR
Pull on the door handle with force, shaking it. Eventually you will pull the glued or riveted latch bracket out of the door. open the door and re-epoxy and rivet the bracket back in. The bracket rivet on the door coming loose may be why its not opening now. A common problem.
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Reply #10
Thx will try tomorrow
1995 U320
Build #4677
2011 Honda CRV

Reply #11
  Nigel, I wonder if your friendly old school mechanic has a 'slim jim' or the guy with the car hauler/wrecker.
88 Grand Villa 36' ORED 3208 (throwaway)Cat.
 Build # 3150
Happiness is the maximum agreement of reality and desire.