Skip to main content

Topic: Does coolant evaporate? (Read 227 times) previous topic - next topic

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Does coolant evaporate?
We've been parked here since early January and are getting ready to leave at the end of the week. I've started doing some of the outside stuff and checked the coolant level. When we arrived in January the coolant in the white expansion tank was...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Does coolant evaporate?
Reply #1
Well, the water component will certainly evaporate over time, which would lower the level.  Don't know about the antifreeze chemicals...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
That's kind of what I was thinking, but Chemistry was more than 50 years ago and I've slept since then.

Reply #3
I'm in 'dry country' too, and lose some, but I don't know if the PO just added distilled water.  I'm going into Phoenix soon and will get what CAT suggests. I see no evidence of leaks, either.

• AC7880
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Look for seepage around the radiator. Is it original?

Reply #5
From my experience, I suspect you have a small leak somewhere.  I have found some clamps that needed to be tightened.

Rich

Reply #6
I am also betting on a little seepage.  Cold temperatures, metal contracts and small leaks.  Check all hose clamps.

Reply #7
'When you arrived in January' was the engine warm or very cold. Warm engine coolant expands, cooling sucks it back into pressure tank if pressure cap is working ok. Coolant level should not go down once the coolant system has cooled down.

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Coolant and oil checks are always done with the engine cold. Aside from getting proper readings, it is much easier on fingers.

Reply #9
Check the coolant with a Refractometer. If the coolant concentration is up it's just water evaporation. Aqua-Hot's  evaporate water quite regularly if used consistently.