Skip to main content
Topic: Wandering issue worked (Read 865 times) previous topic - next topic

Wandering issue worked

We noted an annoying amount of wandering last November.  Steph had just finished the drivers course at FOT and was anxious to start on our coach.  We gave it a try but after a mile or so left the interstate and changed drivers.  She wandered all over the road. 

One of the issues with learning to drive on a new tag axel 45ft coach is how does that translate to a 36 foot 97.  In our case, not well.  This is not a criticism of the school which was a great experience for her.

When I drove again I realized how many steering corrections I was making but had become used to doing.  So I went through possible contributors to try and eliminate as much as possible.

First I took the coach in to East County Alignment in San Diego and had the alignment checked and front end inspected.  I had not noted any pulling but never had it checked. Good to go and shop complimented the ride of the coach.  "It drives like a Cadillac".  (Bags and Konis were done in 16.)

Second I spoke with several shops about the 154 Toyos I had just put on the coach in October.  I had the four corners weighed by RSVEF the year before and they recommended 95 all around but I increased that to 100.  Those shops also told me that the Toyos needed heating cycles before they stabilized.  Just adding that because I don't know the background.

Finally, I added a Safety Plus.  Redlands installed it at Quartzite for about a coach buck.  This, in my opinion, made a nice difference.  The tech got out of the coach looked at me and said wow! 

The outcome: Steph safely and confidently operates the coach.  And again in my opinion, the wandering is very much under control.  My last planned efforts in this area will be adding Centramatics later this spring.
George and Steph
1997 U270 36 Build 5081 "Honu"
1180w Solar 400A lithium all Victron house system
Motorcade 17670, SKP 128300, FMCA F459019
73 VW Camper, 79 VW Camper, 2363 Sunline, and an Arctic Fox 25P

Re: Wandering issue worked

Reply #1
I'am sure you had issues, and hope you have them fixed.

I always tell people, put one or both arm's on the arm rest's, and hands lightly on the steering wheel. Don't try to drive it, just let it do it's thing letting the steering wheel float.

I see so many people get up on the steering wheel with both hands and try to correct everything man/women handling it. It's not always the coaches fault, it's the ruts in the road from trucks. We have it bad in Idaho, even though our roads are great other wise.

Cheers
Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #2
What actually got better with the safety plus?
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #3
Directional stability.  I can take my hands off the wheel and the coach maintains its track.  Did this before and after on the same stretch in Q to test adjustment.
George and Steph
1997 U270 36 Build 5081 "Honu"
1180w Solar 400A lithium all Victron house system
Motorcade 17670, SKP 128300, FMCA F459019
73 VW Camper, 79 VW Camper, 2363 Sunline, and an Arctic Fox 25P

Reply #4
Most coaches have a "dead" spot in their steering. 

Worn parts in the steering linkage?

Most benefit from a slight preloaded front wheel bearing adjustment.

Legal requires .001 to a .005 play after adjustment.

Mine were slightly preloaded for a lot of miles then went to .001 and .003

Definitely noticeable as now I have a very slight dead spot.

My thought were that the new Michelin tires design incorporating "directional sipes" at the tires edge was to keep the vehicle steering straight with the slightly loose wheel bearing setup.

The preload is not verifiable as to how much.  It's a feel thing. 

So the DOT issued papers showing a measurable amount of play.

Trucks wandered.  Michelin's are  used on a lot of OTR trucks on the steer axle. 

Truck self corrects straighter. 

My Foretravel mechanic preloaded the bearings slightly hundreds of times on original Unihomes and unicoaches to correct customer complaints about wander.

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #5
I, of course had this very Issue, when I first drove it Home, to Pa to FLA.  We did a Roundabout Journey of approximately 1,500 Miles or so, and I did not like the way it drove either!  I took it to a Very Reputable Truck Alignment Shop that checked it thoroughly, and found No Issues Mechanically wrong with Components, nor Specs!  After Digging hard for an answer, I went to the Michelin Site, and got the Prescribed Weight to Air Pressure Recommendations!  I weighed each tire before this outing, and did the Correct Pressures, and it now drives like a Dream, and at least 3K miles behind me this time! Not that I won't STILL Get a Stabilizer for it many Benefits, as well, but I am truly impressed just how much a Simple Pressure Change, can Improve MY Handling! I say it can be a Combination of all things mentioned on this Thread, but just doing what I did, satisfied my Issues, Immensely!  I am so glad yours are all Ironed out now, George!  I was hoping you'd tame your beast! Otherwise, once Dialed in, what a true pleasure to glide the Highways!

I also want to mention I had Extreme Weight Differences, when I first took it home!  It was Lightly Loaded, and that could have been an issue, perhaps, but I am Maxxed Out, now, and this adjustment sure did the trick! Uhhh, Fuel mileage was better actually, probably because I Used the Transmission, and Retard, correctly, after getting used to it!  Conditions were different, as well, as I had more Highway Miles, on this Trip! Backroads and Surface Streets, with the Red lights, Eat Fuel! My Sweet Spot is about 62 MPH, and do my best to keep it there, with the Cruise ON!
Tom & Barb Root
'95, 40' U-320C SE, bought from Dave Head, 8/2017  FT Motorcade # 18196 Coach Build# 4663 October '94
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen, 1991 Suzuki Samurai, Off-Road Custom Build-Up, W/Toyota 22re mill, and a 2005 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison TOADS Will also pull a MacGregor 26X Powersailor 2001 Model, owned since new!

Retired SR Rocket Mechanic, FT Sales Associate @  FT of California, Escondido CA.!  and Retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant (Hence Retired Guns! ) Avionics Tech, on A6E Intruder & OV-10 Bronco Aircraft!  V/N Era Vet, and Desert Storm Participant.  Happily Retired now!

Reply #6
I don't know what kind of front suspension is on Foretravels but my Wanderlodge uses Ridewell. Once you drive one you learn very quickly why it's called a WANDERlodge. However, it is easily fixed. I don't know what the equivalent would be on a Foretravel, but here is a long thread on the dynamics of the suspension and the remedies.

Taking some more of the wander out of the Wanderlodge - Wanderlodge Owners Group

TOM
SOB (Some Other Brand) division
1995 Wanderlodge WB40
8V92 :D

Reply #7
Caflashbob,
I saw this preload setting device and thought you might like to check it out as you are a big proponent of the freeplay/deadspot relationship. It looks very repeatable...
Doctor PreloadĀ® Bearing Adjustment Tools and Temper-LocĀ® Spindle Nuts
Don
Most coaches have a "dead" spot in their steering. 

Worn parts in the steering linkage?

Most benefit from a slight preloaded front wheel bearing adjustment.

Legal requires .001 to a .005 play after adjustment.

Mine were slightly preloaded for a lot of miles then went to .001 and .003

Definitely noticeable as now I have a very slight dead spot.

My thought were that the new Michelin tires design incorporating "directional sipes" at the tires edge was to keep the vehicle steering straight with the slightly loose wheel bearing setup.

The preload is not verifiable as to how much.  It's a feel thing. 

So the DOT issued papers showing a measurable amount of play.

Trucks wandered.  Michelin's are  used on a lot of OTR trucks on the steer axle. 

Truck self corrects straighter. 

My Foretravel mechanic preloaded the bearings slightly hundreds of times on original Unihomes and unicoaches to correct customer complaints about wander.

The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #8
Are there parts to fit our front axles?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #9
Don,
Good info there, having owned and repaired heavy equipment, I knew that tapered bearings always required a preload. As has been said before DWMYH but I have some preload on mine. You have to remember that when the wheel heats up the preload increases, so some of the 0 to .003 clearance that gets recommended, if at 0 will get some preload. On my Cat 977 loader the counter shaft bearings needed to be set at zero then pull shims out to get the preload. Also some rearends have a rolling torque measurement, but all tapered bearings according to the manufactures need preload.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #10
While we had some wandering on our 36' U-295 1996 coach, I just always put it down to the age and the linkage. My cars have had either rack and pinion or electric steering and never were as old as the coach. My knees, hips, shoulders, etc. are older than the coach and they wander around a bit. Age does strange things to mechanical operations. 
Larry
1996 U295 36'
Build # 4805
Actually we sold it but just like to lurk

Reply #11
That's why I replaced all my torque rod bushings ,all the rubber was hard as a rock.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #12
Just looked up Doctor Preload,find it parts has it for $958.00.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.