Skip to main content

Topic: New questions for an old FT (Read 524 times) previous topic - next topic

New questions for an old FT
Can someone tell me what the below means....

ELECTRICAL
110 vac automatic changeover
75 Amp. converter charger
6.5 K.W. Onan
50 Amp. shoreline
Master battery disconnect switch

The FT specs from the Beam page.... 1985 ( November 85) GV Front Gas...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: New questions for an old FT
Reply #1
"110 vac automatic changeover" means you have a ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) that will switch between shore power and generator power to supply 110V to the coach.

"75 Amp. converter charger" means you have a combination DC converter and battery...

Reply #2
Your coach should be set up that when you connect to shore power, the house batteries are charged. You may want to add a trickle charger or batter maintainer so that the chassis batteries also get charged when connected to shore power.

Reply #3
"110 vac automatic changeover" means you have a ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) that will switch between shore power and generator power to supply 110V to the coach.

"75 Amp. converter...

Reply #4
This has been discussed recently on the Forum.  I'll try to find the thread.  A 15 amp standard household outlet will supply adequate amperage to run the 75 amp coach battery charger and keep the house batteries charged.  You will want to reduce...

Reply #5
If the DC converter/charger in your coach is OEM, it is 1985 technology.  I.E. it does the job, but in a crude manner.  If you have conventional flooded house batteries, you would be well advised to keep a close eye on the electrolyte level.  The...

Reply #6
I use this smart isolator, it defaults to the engine battery until it is charged, and then redirects the charger or altenator output to the house batteries. If the engine battery voltage drops below a certain level it switches back to charge it.

Reply #7
I would modify Chuck's MAY to Will overcharge the house batteries if you leave your convertor going 24/7.  Please replace it as soon as possible as the guys have said.

Reply #8
If I may, on Brett's recommendation, I have a standard Lowes or Home Depot, 120VAC timer, inline with the 120VAC outlet. The timer is set to come on twice a day for about an hour. Seems to keep our batteries fully charged with minimum loss of...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
I do the same as Charles on both house and chassis batteries. Now 7 years.

Reply #10
When using the 15 amp plug in our garage connected to the shore power....  is the " Salesman's Switch " in the on position to charge house batteries or is the disconnect OFF. ?   

Reply #11
The salesman switch has nothing to do with the converter/charger or charging of the batteries.  It is simply a convenient way to turn off the 12 volt lights in the coach when you are away for the day.  Leaving it off while the coach is in storage...

Reply #12
Poking around our U225 prior to moving in, I was pleased to find a Progressive Dynamics PD60 on one of the through bays.  So somewhere along the line newer technology was installed.  We installed a PD 9260 in our Rockwood, along with a 100A 100MV...

Reply #13
My point?  Crawl into whatever deep recess you converter-charger is installed and read the data plate.
EXCELLENT ADVICE for all new coach owners.  One never knows what kind of...

Reply #14
The Progressive Dynamics PD60 can be enhanced by the $30 plug and play charge wizard into a automatic 4 stage charger. Takes less than 5 minutes to install.

Reply #15
The Progressive Dynamics PD60 can be enhanced by the $30 plug and play charge wizard into a automatic 4 stage charger. Takes less than 5 minutes to install.

My coach came with a PD 9160A...

Reply #16
A converter/charger like the PD60 would certainly be a nice upgrade over the mid 80's to early 90's OEM Foretravel equipment, especially with the added "smart charger" dongle.  IF you go this route, and IF you require a inverter for any reason,...