Skip to main content
Topic: What would cause the metal on this fitting to flak apart? (Read 784 times) previous topic - next topic

What would cause the metal on this fitting to flak apart?

The pictured fitting is part of one of the two air cylinders that moves the step in and out.  The other cylinder is fine.  I also added a picture of the flaked off metal. 

What's going on?

The selected media item is not currently available.    The selected media item is not currently available.    The selected media item is not currently available.
Larry Rubin
2004 U295 38' build 6278
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Re: What would cause the metal on this fitting to flak apart?

Reply #1
Not seeing any pics Larry. 
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #2
pictures
Larry Rubin
2004 U295 38' build 6278
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Reply #3
Some sort of corrosion,could it be a cheap chinese replacement?
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #4
Is this on the step or the floor slide in front of the passengers seat? That dose look like corrosion on the cylinder.
Brad & Melanie
2003 U320 3820 1st timer
'97 TJ and/or '85 CJ7

Reply #5
could it be a cheap chinese replacement?

The cylinder is original to the coach.

Is this on the step or the floor slide in front of the passengers seat?

On the step.  This is a 2004 model. The cylinders are mounted below the step but not directly exposed.  They are covered by a panel that is open on the sides facing the sides of the coach.  The one that is bad is toward the front of the coach.  So the cylinder is not completely sealed from the outside but it is covered.  I don't see any build up of dirt and the rest of the cylinder has only minimal wear you'd expect. 
Larry Rubin
2004 U295 38' build 6278
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Reply #6
So if pinpointing the cause may not be easy, what treatment to the metal that will prevent further flaking?  Simple thing would be to wire brush, then clean and degrease with baking soda, then paint it. 
Larry Rubin
2004 U295 38' build 6278
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Reply #7
Spray some soapy water on the fitting and see if it is leaking. I could be coming from the air desiccant. 
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #8
May be just a bad batch of metal,clean and try some Rust Bullet brush on paint,you can get it on Amazon in a 4 oz. can.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #10
That appears to be intergranular corrosion, often due to the type of alloy metals.
Steve DeLange
2005 U320T 40'
Pearland, Texas

Reply #11
That appears to be intergranular corrosion, often due to the type of alloy metals.
If the material is stainless steel, I agree.

Stainless steel has a very thin and stable oxide film rich in chrome. This film reforms rapidly by reaction with the atmosphere if damaged. If stainless steel is not adequately protected from the atmosphere during welding or is subject to very heavy grinding operations, a very thick oxide layer will form. This thick oxide layer, distinguished by its blue tint, will have a chrome-depleted layer.
 https://www.totalmateria.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=kts&NM=239
Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #12
If it was from the desiccant you would see other problems,the step is the farthest from the air drier.Regardless of what it is it is an
isolated incident,we'll never know exactly why this happened.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #13

Bingo! Give that man a cigar.  The material is known generically as Die Cast referring both to the process used to make the part and the material used. The base material is Zinc with additions and the material is a solution not a mixture.  When cooled distinct granules form and under a surprising number of mild conditions intergranular corrosion forms prying the pieces apart.

Corrosion Resistance | Die Casting Alloys | Die Casting Company

P.S. I didn't eat all of those books for nuthin'
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #14
are the metal flakes magnetic?
Yes, but not very much.  The nut next to the fitting is much more magnetic.  The cylinder tube and this fitting are much less.

Spray some soapy water on the fitting and see if it is leaking
No leaking.

If it is intergranular corrosion, it took 15 years to get to this state.  It looks like I can wire brush it down to a level that looks good.  I could do that and then clean and paint it (and check it yearly). 

Or is the part compromised and should be replaced?  It's really not in a "critical" area that will leave me stranded if it fails.

Thanks for the expert knowledge folks!!!
Larry Rubin
2004 U295 38' build 6278
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Reply #15
Yes, but not very much.  The nut next to the fitting is much more magnetic.  The cylinder tube and this fitting are much less.
No leaking.

Well I guess that rules out desiccant then.

Reply #16

If it is intergranular corrosion, it took 15 years to get to this state.  It looks like I can wire brush it down to a level that looks good.  I could do that and then clean and paint it (and check it yearly). 

If you have the air cylinder out far enough to wire brush and paint, why not replace it with a new one.  Then you can check it off for the next 15 years.

As far as thanks for the knowledge, I just want to remind you that you get what you pay for . . .

Art
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #17
"If it is intergranular corrosion, it took 15 years to get to this state.  It looks like I can wire brush it down to a level that looks good.  I could do that and then clean and paint it (and check it yearly)."
That is what I would do. It isn't leaking and doesn't look that bad in the pictures. Ok my aircraft background would have me treat both of the cylinders to prevent further problems. I would probably spend some time under there cleaning and painting any outher rust/corrosion I found. ^.^d
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire (4523)
Cummins ISM 450HP
Allison 4000 MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Reply #18
"I would probably spend some time under there cleaning and painting any outher rust/corrosion I found. "

That's exactly what I've been doing all morning.  Lots of fun. 
Larry Rubin
2004 U295 38' build 6278
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Reply #19

Or is the part compromised and should be replaced?  It's really not in a "critical" area that will leave me stranded if it fails.

It take air that is also used to stop the coach with.  If it starts leaking bad enough you might not have enough air to stop or it will slow you down as the lack of air pressure will cause the parking brake to applying
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #20
Don't think he said it's leaking just the metal problem,and if it was something in the air the inside metal would be flaking.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.