Skip to main content
Topic: Engine and brake service  (Read 607 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine and brake service

I just spent the day at Nacogdoches Motorhome Services for an engine service and to have the brakes checked. 
David found the driver's front brake adjusted too tight and found most of the caliper slide pins had pitting.  Also some of the slide pin retainer and nuts were seized.  He replaced these and adjusted the brakes and now it brakes smoothly and evenly!
I was impressed with their work.  They do have multiple 50 amp hookups so we spent the night before parked outside their building.  BTW Hwy. 59 has lots of traffic all night! 
Now for the rest of the story....Last summer we spent the night at the county park in Denver City, TX.  During the night had a storm come through.  We left around 7am and headed south.  While heading down 83/214 towards Seminole a couple miles out of town I was going 55mph with the cruise on.  An 18 wheeler ahead of me was turning so I just touched the brakes to release the cruise.  When I did the FT went into a slide.  I was able to control it and almost had it straight when the Tahoe I was towing swung around and hit the passenger rear corner.  This put me into a spin and now I was going down the highway backwards!  I kept applying the brakes and was able to stop with the drivers tires on the soft mud and passengers tires still on the shoulder.  The Tahoe was perpendicular to the FT and sunk almost to the frame.  After a few minutes of deep breaths and prayers of thanks I was able to get out of the driver seat.  The only damage was to the rear fiberglass and the engine hatch frame!  The Tahoe had a dent on the passenger side corner.  A couple guys stopped and helped me unhook the Tahoe.  I was able to drive the FT forward back onto the shoulder then put the Tahoe in low 4x4 and it just walked out.
The sheriff and state police both told me that every time it rains there is an accident right there.  Apparently the road is very slick due to all of the oilfield traffic and rain just makes it that much more slicker.
Now I know why it spun.  The brakes were badly out of adjustment.
We were very fortunate there was no other traffic on the road when it happened.  I just wish I had a dash camera to capture the action.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Re: Engine and brake service

Reply #1
I just wish I had a dash camera to capture the action.
Scary story!  Glad you made it out in two slightly dented but otherwise intact pieces.

I think every coach should have a dash cam.  They are inexpensive, easy to install, and inconspicuous to people outside the coach.  Having a recording of what is happening in front of your windshield could be very handy in any number of conceivable situations.  I feel happier having ours in place.  Just my opinion.

Link below to my dash cam post from 4 years ago.  There are many more choices available now.  Shop around for good reviews and best prices.

Budget Dash Camera Review

PS: By the way, that cheap camera I installed (link above) lasted 4 years before the constant baking in the oppressive West TX heat finally killed it.  I just replaced it last month with the same (current) model.  I believe in sticking with a product that exceeds my expectations.

Amazon.com: Black Box G1W-CB"Black Bezel" Capacitor Model Dash Camera - Heat...
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
One moral of the story would be never use the cruise in the rain,even in a car or truck.We do not have a toad but does your tahoe have a good brake system?Glad your OK.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #3
I too had a recent experience with Nacogdoches Motorhome Service.  David and Seth installed my Roadmaster towbar system which included the Brake Master braking system.  They did a really nice job and were a pleasure to work with.  Reasonable price too.  It is great to have another choice for service in Nacogdoches!
The selected media item is not currently available.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Reply #5
Don't want to hijack but this might be the time to post the experience we had between Las Cruces and Abilene.
Someone pulled out right in front of me at 70 mph and I had to get hard on the brakes. Down the road about 20 minutes my tire pressure monitoring system flashed red and showed right front tire at 135 deg.  I pulled over at the first opportunity and pulled the center hub cap and checked the oil level and it was fine. Drove 55 for another mile and the temp was at 145 deg. Found a smaller highway with a shoulder, raised the coach and put the safety blocks in and crawled under to look for a problem. The lower slide pin seemed deeper than the upper. I took a long 3/8 extension and using it as a punch hit the caliper in the direction that the helper spring pushes. The caliper moved about an 1/8th of an inch. I had serviced the slide pins recently but somehow it had got cocked and jammed. Got back in the coach and watched the temperature start dropping down to 77 deg. Didn't have any more issues getting here to Xtreme. 
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #6
So that's how my tow bar got that scratch!

Gees. You must have been pulling into Nac as we were heading out. Would have been nice to met you, have a cup of joe and a chat.

Your old tow bar has been working perfectly. 👍
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #7
I don't have a retarder, so this is only hearsay.

I've heard that in some cases, drivers of retarder equipped coaches don't use their service brakes very often, and when they do only for gentle low speed stops or holding in place at red lights.  Then, when the brakes are required in a emergency situation, they do not perform adequately.

Not saying this was a factor in your particular case, but perhaps something for other owners to keep in mind.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #8

Occasionally lack adjusters either don't work on one side or pins are pitted and pads stick. You were lucky. Here is a good video on Rockwell-Meritor disc brakes operation and maintenance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N-St4Px8cs

Dash cams have come way down in price. I ordered a second one from Amazon as it was their top choice, received about 4.5 out of 5 in over 300 reviews and best of all, is only $29.95 delivered if you check their normal free freight box (not prime). Arrived in two days! Read reviews, etc at: Amazon.com: Dash Cam 1080P DVR Dashboard Camera Full HD 3" LCD Screen...

OK, if you want  a dash cam with GPS, check the GPS models on ebay at: dash cam gps | eBay . Do a search for the model you may be interested in to get comments from other users.

Google Maps no longer works with our GPS dash cam but Dashcam Viewer is an upgrade and works really well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwCAjRwk_Ik

An iPhone video with the free app Vidometer allows GPS tracking in a small window with several types of displays. See video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTwmfuOjTjM

Make sure any dash cam has a real GPS receiver and does not rely on cell tower positioning.

Pierce

Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #9
Chuck,

I understand the reason to not use a retarder or engine braking device in slippery conditions is the braking device is providing a braking force to the drive wheels.  Then the service brakes are used adding even more braking force to the drive wheels.  This means the drive braking force is more than the steer tire braking force allowing the drive tires to lock before the steers would.

Hope I explained this properly.
Rudy Legett
2003 U320 4010 ISM 450 hp
2001 U320 4220 ISM 450 hp
1995 U320 M11 400 hp
1990 Granvilla 300 hp 3208T
Aqua Hot Service Houston and Southeast Texas

Reply #10
I routinely turn off the retarder and exercise the service brakes during any drive.  I actually use the wheel brakes more than the retarder.

Warmed up, any corrosion burned off and in good condition and  adjusted correctly the service brakes are very strong.  Retarder not needed.

I do use the retarder on some roads while on cruise control to avoid overrunning the speed limit down short grades in areas that might possibly  be "speed traps" or just I am paranoid.

When I can I do pull back the retarder level, turning it off, on some downgrades to allow some speed overrun for better mpg.

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #11
Told the wife about the post and her first statement was,especially in the rain NEVER tap on the brake to shut cruise off,use the switch.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #12
Love our dashcam but be sure to turn off the audio record feature. First time was unaware of the function and it recorded my colorful commentary on a guy who cut us off.
The Starship- 1990 Grandvilla Unihome U300 40ft
6V92 Detroit Diesel w/ 4 spd Allison w/ retarder. Build# 3575 , Foretravel# 17895
The Shuttlecraft- 2015 Ford Explorer
Steve ( N6EKV ) & Lori ( N6JTD ) Faries  w/ Marlee our precious pup.
Patterson CA.