Skip to main content
Topic: Genny Overvoltage  (Read 617 times) previous topic - next topic

Genny Overvoltage

Progressive EMS reports 137v overvoltage periodically which prevents genny power into coach. Until next week am I safe to use the Progressive bypass?
Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Re: Genny Overvoltage

Reply #1
Don't have a direct answer Randy,so the generator is putting out 137 volts?
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #2
Yes...137 v.
Sarasota, Florida
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Reply #3
Randy,

I would sure not use it if you have verified that that is the actual voltage (vs gauge problem).  Could damage appliances.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #4
What Brett said. Don't use it till it's fixed. My guess is you generator's voltage regulator is bad.
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid

Reply #5
Yep to reply 3 & 4. Mine would jump from high 130s to 160 in a flash. Progressive saved my bacon. Bad regulator in my case.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #6
I would definitely avoid using it until I could verify the actual voltage and correct any problem  that exists. Not worth taking any chances!
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #7
Randy,
I believe we have similar coaches.  As stated earler I would not use it at that voltage.
I have the PPowertech with the 3 cyl. Isuzu, had to replace the voltage regulator last fall.  Powertech has them in stock.
Jerry & Nanci
1999 U270 34'WTFI
2011 Malibu
A smart man knows what to say, a wise man knows when to say it.

Reply #8
Gen is really putting out that high voltage and you are lucky to have your EMS wired after transfer switch, instead of the common before transfer switch. Just do without generator.

This is a normal symptom of a failing Power Tech generator voltage regulator, something that has happened to us and many others.

Recommend only using Power Tech supplied replacement voltage regulator. They need info from plate on 'generator puck end', not the plate info on the control box. Also need to know of brush or brushless.

A word of caution as several have had thousands of dollar damage and had the difficult job of replacing the heavy puck end, from not following the written instructions relating to wire connections.

Our model was just a plug swap, but other models need a wire swap.

Lots of Forum info on this specific topic....

Reply #9
Fortunately our FT used the "plug n play" voltage regulator replacement board rather than needing the type that requires re-wiring.  $328.95 for the part and all is back to normal.
Sarasota, Florida