Skip to main content

Topic: Engine compartment fire suppression system (Read 437 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine compartment fire suppression system
After my close call (see my post on cracked fuel line) I'm thinking about installing a foam based fire suppression system for my engine compartment.  I found these systems online:  Large Format Automatic Systems | Fire Fight Products

Does anyone...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Engine compartment fire suppression system
Reply #1
That is the Vendor I Purchased it from, and spent nearly $1500.00, on An Engine/Transmission Combo Heads, a Behind the Refer with one Head, a Generator with one head!  All come with Flexible Wire Wrapped Hoses.  I also got 3 Small Extinguishers...

Reply #2
A Diesel engine fire suppression system should include an engine shutdown component. 

Reply #3
While poking around the internet for other fire suppression systems I found that Foretravel is equipping their IH45 and Realm Coaches with the Fogmaker system.  Looks expensive, but effective.  Here are a couple of videos.

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Along with what Steve said I'll add that all air should be stopped from coming into the eng compartment. Which is pretty hard to do I think.

Reply #5
Fire triangle = fuel + oxygen/air+ignition source. Eliminate any one of these variables so it doesn't happen. Can't absolutely eleminate fuel leaks and oxygen on a coach. My question therefore in the diesel engine compartment wouldn't very good...

Reply #6
While Most Fire Suppression Products out there, are good, none are better at a reflash, nor complete Oxygen depletion, as AFFF Foam, products, IMHO! Having seen, first hand, aircraft fires a few times, as a First Responder, unfortunately in my...

Reply #7
Nascar uses  self contained systems. One in the trunk with a 250*+- release vale and under the hood .  They change them pretty often and can be had on ebay  for 100-200$ .

King Racing Products Fire Bottle And Clamp Kit Heat Activated | eBay

Reply #8
Tom...  I hear what you are saying about the superiority of foam for suppressing diesel engine compartment fires, especially those that are open on the bottom as ours are.  My concern about Fire Fight Products and I have voiced this to the owner,...

Reply #9
Tom has it right. AFFF is the only thing that really works. A fire can burn for quite a while in the engine compartment before the diesel engine quits or the operator realizes it. Any dry chemical or halon extinguisher will be long gone many...

Reply #10
SBFD's first all female crew coming on duty at Airport Station 8 (Captain not in photo) at 8am plus Gaylie and Koda. Only three firefighters for the two crash rigs.

Pierce

Reply #11
Fire triangle = fuel + oxygen/air+ignition source. Eliminate any one of these variables so it doesn't happen. Can't absolutely eleminate fuel leaks and oxygen on a coach. My question...

Reply #12
Tom...  I hear what you are saying about the superiority of foam for suppressing diesel engine compartment fires, especially those that are open on the bottom as ours are.  My concern...

Reply #13
Diesel is relatively hard to ignite. No risk from the alternator. Broken line spraying diesel or ATF on the exhaust manifold(s) is a good way for it to catch fire. Wrapping the...

Reply #14
SBFD's first all female crew coming on duty at Airport Station 8 (Captain not in photo) at 8am plus Gaylie and Koda. Only three firefighters for the two crash rigs.

Pierce
Sad that...

Reply #15
Tom,

Quite a few other retired firefighters on the forum that know as much as I do. -
The Cummins installation is not as bad as the Detroit 2-cycle as their turbo is side mounted and has a lot more clearance between the turbo and the wooden...

Reply #16
Sad that it is undermanned!  If I could, and they are Looking, I can let the word out to my Marine Buds!  A few that are Trained CFR's! There are so many Military Airfields in California to...

Reply #17
I like the idea of loose fitting wraps on high pressure fuel lines, would help eliminate more volatile mists, not sure it's necessary, but it sure is cheap, easy, and doesn't take much time.