Skip to main content
Topic: Blue Ox Kar Guard on my tow car a Chevy Colorado. (Read 698 times) previous topic - next topic

Blue Ox Kar Guard on my tow car a Chevy Colorado.

I am planning to go on the "North to Alaska" motorcade and wanted to protect my Colorado with a Kar Guard, but found out you should not use one on a Chevy Colorado due to lack of air flow that may damage the transmission. Any Colorado owners Know about this. Any thoughts.

Thanks,  Ralph
Ralph and Mary Jo Winchester
San Pedro, California
2002 40ft. U320, Build 6056
2007 Tahoe

Re: Blue Ox Kar Guard on my tow car a Chevy Colorado.

Reply #1
This is what we use and probably won't affect cooling.  Went to Alaska with few problems.  Nothing will protect you from what the cars speeding by in the opposite direction will kick up.

What did you do to your coach today. Tow skirt

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #2
Ralph, I made that same cloth skirt that Rick did and seems to work fine. Also, last week I just had the front of my truck covered in a clear coat plastic wrap ( rock guard ). I opted for just the first 8 inches up for the hood and all of the front to just in front of the front tires. (Did I just use front three times in one sentence?). That was $850.00 There's other options also.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #3
Ralph I also have a Colorado as my toad. Where did you learn that a horizontal screen would cause excessive heat as it was being towed?  I was also considering making a screen ala Rich. I see that Blue Ox has two different designs, one vertical and one horizontal.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #4
I read a "caution"  in the Colorado manual for a 2018 year on page 348. Really don't see how an upright Kar Guard could restrict that much air flow because the Trans and Transfer case is in neutral. I cannot use the flat screen because my Blue Ox tow bar is 9 years old and BLU does not make one for my tow bar, its called the Kar Guard ii and they make them for my tow.

Have you used a shield and if so , any problems?  I really need to protect the front in Alaska, but I will find something to use
San Pedro, California
2007 Tahoe

Reply #5
I think it all bunch of "Hot Air" restricting air flow is not an issue...IMHO
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #6
I have been thinking of making my own and using some type of screen mesh instead of the solid plastic.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #7
Hello Richard,
Have been thinking about the clear rock guard also. What product did you use. Theres a place in Orange that has a good Rep, I will give them a call, I should have had it done before I went to "The Maritime" , I'm sure I'll need to do something before Alaska. Why don't you join us .
San Pedro, California
2007 Tahoe