Skip to main content
Topic: Can’t open water compartment door  (Read 883 times) previous topic - next topic

Can’t open water compartment door

My swing up,water compartment door won't unlatch to open, I've worked the keys, the front latch will unlatch. I'm ready to drill
The Goose 🍻✈️🧰 United Airline Retired
2002 U295

Re: Can’t open water compartment door

Reply #1
What year coach? Pic?  ???
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #2
Yes, letting us know what coach you have will help.

But, on some of the locks, the key slot has become clogged with dirt.  Some WD-40 and gentle working of the key can often free it up.

Also, try pushing in gently on the door to lessen the friction on the latch as you do it.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #3
Yes, letting us know what coach you have will help.

But, on some of the locks, the key slot has become clogged with dirt.  Some WD-40 and gentle working of the key can often free it up.

Also, try pushing in gently on the door to lessen the friction on the latch as you do it.
Yup, pushing slightly with your knee (after spraying the slot a couple of times) has worked for me. A lesson learned: spray everything every few months to keep the inside and outside fluid.  ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #4
Ya, kind of hard to keep dirt out of the key slots when driving in rain! But, it will usually free up with WD40 and working it gently.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #5
Thanks for your input, I was able to get the latches to unlock, by putting a small flat blade screwdriver into the opening just under the  latch handle, on the opposite end of the lock, then pushing down on the lock cam. Opened right up. I then adjusted the latch so the arm would completely travel it's full length to rotate the latch .
It has been working fine, then today it wouldn't open. Not a clue.
On our first trip the rough roads in west Texas would cause the right front door to just pop open, found the cable for the latch just a hair to short. Easy fix once I figured it out.
My coach is a 2002 U295, 36 foot.
The Goose 🍻✈️🧰 United Airline Retired
2002 U295

Reply #6
We had a similar misadventure a year ago. Arrived at the campsite and door handle broke off. Front latch released, but rear one was holding on tight. Finally gave up for the night and ran an extension cord in the kitchen window to provide a bit of electricity. The refrigerator was on the inverter. Next morning maintenance came by and got the door unlatched. Foretravel sent out a new lock mechanism.

Reply #7
On a similar note....our big door that accesses the joey bed has recently started to " hang up " on the top releases. I noticed that the cables to the two top releases seem a little " slack" I want to tighten up the slack, and noticed there is an access panel behind the door. If I open the access, can I somehow tighten up the cable without causing me another " headache ". This door is probably opened/closed more often than any other door on the coach, so I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks for any advice.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #8
A light application of white lithium grease on the latching mechanism will keep it all working real nice. If you are worried about dirt sticking then a dry lubricant will also work well. Definitely a dry lubricant maybe even graphite base for the tumbler. Either of those options will work much better than WD-40 over time. Just my $0.02.
2002 U270 34' Build 5953
Cummings ISL400HP
3410 Floor Plan
Longview, TX

Reply #9
Glenn, yes you can take off that panel and get the slack out of the cables. You will need the right size Allen wrench to adjust the cables.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #10
Thanks Richard!! It was easy. It took a moment to realize there are TWO allen set screws. I discovered that the bottom catch is broken off. I have the missing piece, but not sure I can JB Weld it on. Does ANYONE know where I can get a replacement part?? Foretravel parts???
Thanks
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #11
"Does ANYONE know where I can get a replacement part?? Foretravel parts???" That's the first place I'd try.

Reply #12
Yes, FT Parts carries the small door parts.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R