Skip to main content

Topic: Can’t open water compartment door  (Read 531 times) previous topic - next topic

• Tank
  • [*]
Can’t open water compartment door
My swing up,water compartment door won't unlatch to open, I've worked the keys, the front latch will unlatch. I'm ready to drill

Re: Can’t open water compartment door
Reply #1
What year coach? Pic?  ???

Reply #2
Yes, letting us know what coach you have will help.

But, on some of the locks, the key slot has become clogged with dirt.  Some WD-40 and gentle working of the key can often free it up.

Also, try pushing in gently on the door to lessen the friction...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #3
Yes, letting us know what coach you have will help.

But, on some of the locks, the key slot has become clogged with dirt.  Some WD-40 and gentle working of the key can often free it up.

Also, try...

Reply #4
Ya, kind of hard to keep dirt out of the key slots when driving in rain! But, it will usually free up with WD40 and working it gently.

• Tank
  • [*]
Reply #5
Thanks for your input, I was able to get the latches to unlock, by putting a small flat blade screwdriver into the opening just under the  latch handle, on the opposite end of the lock, then pushing down on the lock cam. Opened right up. I then...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
We had a similar misadventure a year ago. Arrived at the campsite and door handle broke off. Front latch released, but rear one was holding on tight. Finally gave up for the night and ran an extension cord in the kitchen window to provide a bit...

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
On a similar note....our big door that accesses the joey bed has recently started to " hang up " on the top releases. I noticed that the cables to the two top releases seem a little " slack" I want to tighten up the slack, and noticed there is an...

Reply #8
A light application of white lithium grease on the latching mechanism will keep it all working real nice. If you are worried about dirt sticking then a dry lubricant will also work well. Definitely a dry lubricant maybe even graphite base for the...

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Glenn, yes you can take off that panel and get the slack out of the cables. You will need the right size Allen wrench to adjust the cables.

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Thanks Richard!! It was easy. It took a moment to realize there are TWO allen set screws. I discovered that the bottom catch is broken off. I have the missing piece, but not sure I can JB Weld it on. Does ANYONE know where I can get a replacement...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
"Does ANYONE know where I can get a replacement part?? Foretravel parts???" That's the first place I'd try.

Reply #12
Yes, FT Parts carries the small door parts.

Reply #13